The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Treating Spur Rubs

After riding for the first time with spurs (recommended by my trainer,rode with them in a lesson, was encouraged to use them), I noticed on one side he had a tiny little rub-just hair loss, skin wasn't broken. Gave him a day to rest, schooled him without spurs and noticed that it had gotten worse- little raw spot but not sensitive at all. BO gave me something to put on it (can't remember what is was), but what is the best way to go about treating it? Guessing I'll probably see how it is in a day or two, groundwork if it's still raw, maybe trails if it's closed up, but any advice would be appreciated.

As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

CrowneDragon: If it gets to the point where they are repeatedly happening, we'll probably just ditch them. He doesn't really need them but they do help. I have a feeling it's probably my less than perfect leg learning how to use the spurs. Thanks though!

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

I had a problem in the spring/fall with a mare and was using a Prince of Wales style spur. Put rubs on her with alarming regularity. At the suggestion of my trainer switched spur style to a hammerhead type and had almost no problems subsequently.

If your horse has really sensitive skin try Spursuaders. There are testimonials on the website from grand prix and Olympic riders. And they can never hurt your horse if you are inexperienced with them or have an OMG! moment.

My horse seems to like the rubber ball spurs, but in the summer they seem to rub more. I think the sweat +thinner coat tend to stick to the rubber balls . I have to switch to the metal roller ball kind that she likes a little less. Sometimes, once one starts, even my boot will make it worse. I use a runner's antichaffing stick like Body Glide over the area while it is healing and any time I am worried about a rub developing, like when it is super hot out.

Or maybe try these soft-touch ones? https://www.smartpakequine.com/stubb...ch-spurs-5421p
    Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    So much stupidity, so little time.
    Confessions of a Dressageaholic - www.dressageaholic.com