The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question silver fly sheets - are they really cooler?

for the first time in my life i'm considering purchase of a fly sheet and it comes in 3 colors - stark white, off white (kind of tea color), or silver. i get that the silver is supposed to reflect the sunrays and make it cooler (like those windshield protectors), but does it actually work? are the other horses going to turn on my mare for wearing silver or run from her?
    Last edited by marta; Jun. 6, 2014 at 05:41 PM.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

My dark horses do seem cooler in a light colored fly sheet, although mine are not silver. They started out white and very light off white, now they are all pretty much stained a very light clay-dirt tan thanks to my crew's dedicated rolling skills.
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

Which would you rather touch after it's baked in a hot sun - the hood of a white car, or the hood of a silver car?

This subject came up a couple of years ago at a seminar I was at - barn rooves - paint 'em white. Don't get sucked in by the people trying to sell you silver paint, white is cooler by a considerable margin.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +
    Ahhhh, spring is here. The birds are singing, the trees are budding and the paddocks are making their annual transformation from cake mix to cookie dough.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sascha View Post
    Which would you rather touch after it's baked in a hot sun - the hood of a white car, or the hood of a silver car?

This subject came up a couple of years ago at a seminar I was at - barn rooves - paint 'em white. Don't get sucked in by the people trying to sell you silver paint, white is cooler by a considerable margin.
    Actually to make the comparison work the question should be which engine would you rather touch?
    In the images I am seeing on Google for the silver fly sheets they are barely darker than the white for most of them. For most horses the white doesn't exactly stay white terribly long. My gets to be brown and tan pinto colored pretty quickly with the occassional green smear- sometimes from grass and sometimes from processed grass/alfalfa pellets.
    I really doubt the the color difference in the case really would absorb that much more to be an issue.
    Is this fly sheet just silver colored or is it truely a reflective silver on the top but not inside? If it is single layered it is the same reflective silver inside I would worry it would work just like those winter polar fleeces you can get at Cabela and REI that reflect the wearer's body heat back to keep you warmer.
    If the material isn't really reflective and is just silver color I don't think it would make much difference unless the silver was much darker than the white and closer to a medium or dark grey.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

SonnysMom

Good point!
    Didn't even consider it.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    Actually to make the comparison work the question should be which engine would you rather touch?
    What? Neither of the cars have been run, they are just sitting in direct sunlight. The silver one will be hotter.

I don't understand why people have so much trouble understanding that there really has been research done, and honest to scientists, studies show that there is a marked difference in heat absorption between white and silver with white staying cooler than silver.

It's not rocket surgery, go find 2 metal poles, one white, and one silver, standing in the same direct sun conditions. Dollars to doughnuts you'll remove your hand from the silver one before you remove it from the white one.
    Ahhhh, spring is here. The birds are singing, the trees are budding and the paddocks are making their annual transformation from cake mix to cookie dough.

Quote Originally Posted by sascha View Post
    What? Neither of the cars have been run, they are just sitting in direct sunlight. The silver one will be hotter.

I don't understand why people have so much trouble understanding that there really has been research done, and honest to scientists, studies show that there is a marked difference in heat absorption between white and silver with white staying cooler than silver.

It's not rocket surgery, go find 2 metal poles, one white, and one silver, standing in the same direct sun conditions. Dollars to doughnuts you'll remove your hand from the silver one before you remove it from the white one.
    You are the one not getting it. We don't care what the surface of the fly sheet/car hood temperature is. We care about the temperature of what is under it- horse/engine. (Yes I realize that the engine was not running). If you want to think passenger compartment instead go ahead. If the silver is reflecting the the temperature up and away from the horse that is a good thing.
    You do not provide links to any studies of comparing white cars to silver cars so are we talking comparing the barely off-white silver to a true white or are we comparing a dark silver almost grey to a true bright white? I would think the dark silver grey would have a greater heat absorption than the really light silver. A really light silver is only a couple of color degrees from white, a dark silver is many degrees of color away from white.
    The fly sheets I am seeing are barely different in color than the white fly sheets.
    Plus you are probably talking comparing clean pristine white to clean pristine silver. My fly sheets are clean and pristine until about 3 minutes after turn-out- max. After that they are dusty tan, with manure spots or grass stains. YMMV.

So have studies been done comparing the internal passenger compartment temperature of a white car to a car this is mirrored like a disco ball? Mirrors are silver but it it reflects the heat it may keep the passenger compartment cooler than the lighter white colored car that absorbs the heat.

OP's question was if the silver fly sheet would reflect the sun enought to make a temperature difference for the horse in the fly sheet.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

The studies were done on barn rooves. Yes, I am absolutely too lazy to look it up.

Think about it, why are horse trailer rooves white and not silver?

Why do folks who live in very hot climates wear white?

Why does it hurt to touch polished metal that's been sitting in the sun?

The absolute silliness of this whole reflection making something cooler thing reminds me of an incident at a barn where I used to work. Mama cow calved out and was in a bad way. Fever was fatally high. Some idiot who didn't know much and couldn't actually think in a rational way, was sure that the calf could be saved! It was pointed out that the calf had just come out of the fatally fevered cow. But maybe its temp won't be as high?! Um, yeah, the not experienced, not smart person actually did waste time to take the temp of the calf. Lo and behold, it was also a fatal 109F.