The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Using Go Fund Me for medical bills for an adult wo insurance

I had a person email me a link asking me to donate to a Go Fund Me for an adult that git injured and does not have medical insurance and works I'm a hazardous profession. Honestly I don't know how I feel about that. My insurance would not pay for my IV meds I needed so I sold some horses and my truck so that we wouldn't have to go into my DH 401k to pay for it. I would never have asked others to help.

What are your feelings on the GFM for medical bills?

4 members found this post helpful.

Depends on why he doesn't have insurance. Is he in a state that didn't take the Medicaid expansion and therefore couldn't afford insurance? There's no excuse (except for that one) to not have minimal insurance since the ACA became effective. So my answer would probably be no, unless he should have qualified for Medicaid and didn't.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Depends on why he doesn't have insurance. Is he in a state that didn't take the Medicaid expansion and therefore couldn't afford insurance? There's no excuse (except for that one) to not have minimal insurance since the ACA became effective. So my answer would probably be no, unless he should have qualified for Medicaid and didn't.
    ^^^^^This. If he missed out because he was in a state which opted out of Medicaid expansion that's one issue. Otherwise no sympathy for someone who blew off their legal obligation to have health insurance. To me, that is an act of selfishness which screws over those of us paying for insurance. The costs for his care will ultimately get passes on to those who are paying the tab for insurance.

5 members found this post helpful.

It shocks me what people will fundraise for on those sites. Help me fund my honeymoon. My fertility treatments. My trip to Belize. Insane!

With that said, is it the actual person who is fundraising, or a friend/family member? Sometimes people do it on behalf of the sick person in which case I don't find it offensive because sometimes people just want to help and that's their way of doing it. Having a fundraiser to help someone out is not a new concept - the web just makes it a lot simpler!!

3 members found this post helpful.

I believe the state in question DID opt out of the medicaid expansion...so far in the red already, couldn't afford the unfunded liability.

I know this person and not covering life's necessities doesn't surprise me.
    Ride like you mean it.

1 members found this post helpful.

If you don't like it, don't give him money.

There are probably more somewhat scandalous gofundme pages than legit ones. Lots and lots to get upset about if people asking for money bugs you.

I've given money for medical stuff a few times..in every case, yes, I'm sure the people could have been more financially responsible, but they weren't, what had been done was done, and IMHO they had made no mistake so terrible that they deserved to be in pain when there was a relatively inexpensive fix available.

I'd like to think people learn something from it, and work to be more financially stable in the future but if they don't...eh, I got my good karma from it, and I never give more than I can afford to.

2 members found this post helpful.

I think it's tacky that people are basically begging for money on gofundme, but whatever - no one is forced to give them money.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshfield View Post
    ^^^^^This. If he missed out because he was in a state which opted out of Medicaid expansion that's one issue. Otherwise no sympathy for someone who blew off their legal obligation to have health insurance. To me, that is an act of selfishness which screws over those of us paying for insurance. The costs for his care will ultimately get passes on to those who are paying the tab for insurance.
    Agreed. I would also doubt its veracity. It amounts to "panhandling."

I get Gofundme request all the time, mostly for horse related issues or horse people. Some are trainers who got sick or hurt and don't have health insurance. Some are for horses who got sick or hurt and don't have horse insurance. A few are for helping a kid go to some big horse show they qualified for. Others are for helping replace a stolen high end saddle; and one was to help a horse person with a down payment for a house.

A few years ago a friend's husband got thyroid cancer. They have very good medical insurance but only okay short term disability so things were tight. No vacation that year. The 19 year old daughter thought they should do a beef and beer fund raiser.

I was quite honest that I really would have a problem supporting a beef and beer when they have a BMW in the driveway, a partially finished race car, a car trailer big enough for the car and a golf cart and the really big RV to pull it. Friend understood what I was saying but the daughter was mad at me.

If I remember correctly there was a beef and beer near them for a teenager with Leukemia and the family had a lot of unpaid bills as they were at the point of trying experimental treatment not covered by insurance. So she figured she has cancer my dad has cancer......
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

2 members found this post helpful.

the US passed the ACA, like it or not, so that everyone could get health insurance. Those who didn't have insurance were supposed to get it now. I feel bad this person got injured however, I am less sympathetic since they are uninsured. My understanding of one aspect of the ACA was that if someone didnt sign on and they did get sick/injured that they would then be covered under the ACA. Most hospitals have a social services dept where, among other things, they work on getting some type of medical coverage for those who don't have insurance.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    the US passed the ACA, like it or not, so that everyone could get health insurance. Those who didn't have insurance were supposed to get it now. I feel bad this person got injured however, I am less sympathetic since they are uninsured. My understanding of one aspect of the ACA was that if someone didnt sign on and they did get sick/injured that they would then be covered under the ACA. Most hospitals have a social services dept where, among other things, they work on getting some type of medical coverage for those who don't have insurance.
    I think the issue is that open enrollment only exists for a certain window of time each year. I.e. you can't just wait until you need insurance to sign up for it.

I know someone who posted to my Facebook page one of those, begging for help because their father has cancer and "do to preexisting conditions " he can't get insurance. I called BS on it because the one thing that obamacare got correct was doing away with the preexisting conditions and we live in a state where they expanded Medicaid, so there is no excuse not to have insurance.
    Call me cold hearted but if a person won't do for themselves why should they beg others to do for them.
    Friend of bar .ka

Quote Originally Posted by Marshfield View Post
    I think the issue is that open enrollment only exists for a certain window of time each year. I.e. you can't just wait until you need insurance to sign up for it.
    That's exactly right. If you don't sign up during open enrollment, you're out of luck until the next open enrollment. I believe it starts in mid November and it doesn't last nearly as long the next time.

Why did the OP mention that the person has a hazardous job? Was this a job related injury? That changes everything and nothing. We all need to be responsible for ourselves. ACA has made that more possible. And if it is work related than everything is mute and the employer should be on the hook.

I recently asked about what people thought about my family holding a fundraiser for me in my local town due to my medical bills. (To be clear, I had a great job I had to medically retire from, my husband works and does make good money but we also live in a high cost area, we have great insurance but it still doesn't cut it with the amount of treatment I need.) I was basically flamed for the whole thing.

Which if fine, everyone is absolutely entitled to an opinion. But my issue was the fact that we truly have done everything we can to deal with the situation on our own. Short of selling my horse, which I absolutely will not do, I've done what I can. (I won't sell my horse because 1) he was a gift from my late father-in-law and him giving this horse was the single kindest selfless act he'd ever done. 2) He has some health issues, ringbone being one, so I fear that he'd end up with a kill buyer. 3) He's my escape from all the crap. He knows my limits and knows how to take care of me when I ride. He has saved my ass more times than I can count. I'm not giving up the ONE thing I have in life that makes me feel normal and happy.)

So, I share all that because no one ever really knows the whole story behind these things. There are reasons people do what they do. Some may not be as honorable as others, but you just never know. Maybe that race car is the thing he uses to escape the hell he's going through. Who knows.

While I agree there are lots of odd go fund me accounts for weird things, if it is medical I just try not to judge too much because you never know what's really happening. If people want to donate that's fine. If not, that's okay too. It is a personal decision. But just try to remember that no matter how much you think you know someone and their situation you really don't ever know the whole story.
    Hope Blooming- Life with Chronic Pancreatitis

My blog: Life with Pancreatitis

When having a hazardous job that you are self employed doing then you should make sure to have insurance. Even if it is a high deductible, because trust me just a basic surgery will go over your large deductible.

7 members found this post helpful.

The only time I consider it is when its an animal being pulled from a neglect situation/kill-shelter, or when its a child. If my child was sick and what stood between her getting treatment saving treatment was money, I would beg, borrow and steal and have no shame about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ride3day View Post
    Why did the OP mention that the person has a hazardous job? Was this a job related injury? That changes everything and nothing. We all need to be responsible for ourselves. ACA has made that more possible. And if it is work related than everything is mute and the employer should be on the hook.
    Many hazardous jobs also tend to be ones where the people are self-employed or work as independent contractors.

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    Many hazardous jobs also tend to be ones where the people are self-employed or work as independent contractors.
    Yes, but they should have insurance. I can see fundraising if you have lousy insurance, but not for no insurance. I can see fundraising because you couldn't work and couldn't afford disability insurance, but lack of health insurance is no longer an excuse.