The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Memorial Day

It seems rather fitting that on this Memorial Day weekend, that I thank and remember all of mine who have served this country proudly...from my ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary War, my Grandfather who served in WW I, my father who served in WWII, my former husband who served during the Vietnam Conflict, and now my oldest son, a Senior Chief in the Navy who has deployed (just today) again for another year. I am so thankful to each of them for doing their duty to our country so that we may enjoy the freedoms that have been ensured to us through their brave actions.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

12 members found this post helpful.

We use to go out and put flowers on my father's grave every Memorial Day. He fought in WWII and was the sole survivor of an attack by Japan. He suffered PTSD and took his life two weeks to the day that John F. Kennedy was shot.

I am proud of my dad and last night I sat my son down (he is 14) and showed him why he looks like he does and where he gets his height. My son was sad that he did not get to have a grandfather, but I told him both of his grandfathers are watching over him.

I love you dad !

3 members found this post helpful.

I agree. We civilians don't realize, I think, just how much these people give, and how willingly. There was a WWII vet outside of the hardware store the other day selling poppies, and I stopped and bought one. There had been a thread on COTH about actors who served in WWII, that had lead to a discussion of that generation, in general, so military service was very much in my mind, and I thanked him for his service and stood and talked to him for a while. One thing he said that has stuck with me ever since was that he was not the one who should be thanked. It was his brothers and sisters who had not made it back from duty who deserve the thanks, for paying the ultimate price. I tend to disagree a bit with that ( I do think that they all deserve thanks) but it made me resolve to remember that Memorial Day is for them, and not the holiday that marks the official beginning of Summer.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

4 members found this post helpful.

Thinking of all who served. Thank you
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

2 members found this post helpful.

Last Memorial Day, we went over to Arlington Nat'l Cemetery. It's something else. No matter how many times I go, it's always very touching. Thinking of all who have died in service this Memorial Day.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Something that seemed deeply ingrained in those I knew who served in WWII is that they wanted to live life honorably and to the fullest; that their life would have meaning for family and friends and be deemed worthy by those who didn't make it home. Those that didn't come home were never forgotten.

And just as an aside, every Memorial Day and Veteran's Day hubby always said that it was my Patriotic Duty to kiss a vet! So, for those who have a vet within their circle, please give them an extra kiss and tell 'em it was for me!

5 members found this post helpful.

The following short video link is the way my hometown honors it's veterans. LeMars, Iowa's avenue of flags. All the flags have the dogtags attached to them and there's also a ceremony. I think this will be a very hard year for my brother. He's been the one to set Dad's flag out every year since 1965. He's retiring and moving to Arizona this fall.

When this first started, it was just the courthouse lawn, but now the flags also line the adjacent street and the park across the street. They "call out the roster" as the flags are erected and there's a dedication ceremony for any new flags every year.

http://vimeo.com/43159660

Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

My father is a vet of 3 wars - WWII, Korea and Vietnam. In a letter from Vietnam at Christmas, he wrote to my grandparents of missing Christmas, missing his family but felt that "missing one Christmas was a small sacrifice for such tangible good for so many. Therein lies the strength to go on"

So while we spend the weekend enjoying BBQ's with family and friends, let's not forget those who made the ultimate sacrifice so we can enjoy this holiday and many more in the name of liberty and freedom.

1 members found this post helpful.

My father is a vet of 3 wars - WWII, Korea and Vietnam. In a letter from Vietnam at Christmas, he wrote to my grandparents of missing Christmas, missing his family but felt that "missing one Christmas was a small sacrifice for such tangible good for so many. Therein lies the strength to go on"

So while we spend the weekend enjoying BBQ's with family and friends, let's not forget those who made the ultimate sacrifice so we can enjoy this holiday and all our days.

My grandfather was a WWII vet. His tank was among the first to liberate Auschwitz. It's the only thing in the war that he would NOT speak of. Even though he lost his battle to cancer while I was still young (9), I still remember him fondly.

My SO was a Marine in Afghanistan post 9/11. He was there 01-06. IIRC he did 4 tours in Afghanistan. Some of the horrors he witnessed are completely incomprehensible. He was a sergeant and lost men under his command. It's something he still can't talk about. He does suffer from PTSD still all these years later. He gets help but the war will never leave him.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

The war never leaves any of them. No one ever touched my father to wake him up. Somebody did once and he had them on the ground with his hands around their throat in a nano-second. During the day he was funny, had a great sense of humor and loved practical jokes. Every night he dreamed he was in hand to hand combat. In 38 years of marriage my husband only spoke of the "war" part of Viet Nam twice and then only under the influence of alcohol. He'd talk about the bars and the beer and the boats, but never about the fighting. And he had a medal that he never wore. He didn't think he should wear a medal he received because he killed someone.

Another POV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7M3OalT-H8

Call me a hopeless peacenik, but I remember the soldiers for their individual and often not entirely voluntary deaths... Forget the glory, forget the victory.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Another POV.

Call me a hopeless peacenik, but I remember the soldiers for their individual and often not entirely voluntary deaths... Forget the glory, forget the victory.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    The following short video link is the way my hometown honors it's veterans. LeMars, Iowa's avenue of flags. All the flags have the dogtags attached to them and there's also a ceremony. I think this will be a very hard year for my brother. He's been the one to set Dad's flag out every year since 1965. He's retiring and moving to Arizona this fall.

When this first started, it was just the courthouse lawn, but now the flags also line the adjacent street and the park across the street. They "call out the roster" as the flags are erected and there's a dedication ceremony for any new flags every year.

http://vimeo.com/43159660

What your town does is really great!

My DH retired effective April 1st, after 28yrs of service both AD and NG.

He was in the Navy until the Clinton administration then continued his service in the NG. He felt it was his duty, his calling to serve. Until his body told him he just couldn't any more. Much like our horses that we put to pasture when its their time, when they have earned it, he went to pasture. Of course right after we have spent a butt load of $$ on something that they would like ( in his case a custom( mess )dress uniform that cost $$$$ that he really did not need and never used because the Army issued him one) .

We have been active in the VFW for the last oh 15 or so years. I was on my way up the chairs until my stroke, and was set back, but much to my surprise, an now again, on my way up the chairs again in the Aux. Dh has no such thoughts, as we have only one car at the moment with our luck we would have to be in opposite ends of the state at the same time, and it wouldn't work.

My family has served this country since before it was independent from England, and I am sure that it will in the future.

Memorial day for my family has never been about bbq or picnic it has always been about remembering those who came before and those who will come.
    Friend of bar .ka

My step-grandfather was a WWII vet and he died while I was young. He's buried at Arlington not far from the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers. I was able to visit his grave twice, once with my family and another time with my 8th grade class. There's a cherry blossom near his grave too.

Virginia and North Carolina, Parrothead Clique!

Memorial Day is to honor those who have died in service to their country, those who have made the ultimate sacrifice. It is not a day to honor living veterans. Their day is in November on Veterans Day.

A friend of mine is a widow who lost her serviceman husband far too young. This distinction is one of her pet peeves so I pass along the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by headsupheelsdown View Post
    What your town does is really great!
    It is pretty awesome, isn't it? It started with 91 flags in 1965 and this year I think there's 1201. They start at 6 a.m. reading the names and putting out the flags. It's much more awesome in person to see all the flags. I'm so glad they made this video so I can share a little bit of it.

We are all peaceniks. But without these men and women who are willing to fight for our peace, we would have no peace, no freedom.

Never forget the victory; it is borne on the backs of sacrifice.

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    Another POV.

Ride like you mean it.