The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 3 Cars, 3 Drivers, 1 Drive Way

Hi all,

I need some advice. I just moved into a house where I have 2 other roommates. All three of us have cars and a driveway that is only 2 cars wide. This means that one us has to park behind someone else. Fine, no big deal, BUT, one roommate (RM1) refuses to pull her car all the way up to the garage to allow for someone to park behind her. This means that me and the other roommate (RM2) have to constantly move our cars to let each other out. RM2 just moved in a week ago, and it has been a struggle with parking since because RM1 thinks they have sole right to half the driveway because she has to 'leave early' often.

RM2 and I have asked RM1 to be sure to park her car all the way up to the garage several times now and it falls on deaf ears. When one of us have been able to park behind her, she has woken us up to ask us to move our cars so she can get out, but then she doesn't leave for several hours (she woke me up at 8:30 on Sunday, knowing I hadn't gotten home until after 2am - I left the house before her that day). When I confronted her about this, the excuse I got was that she (direct quote) "got back from running and decided to ask you to move the car because more than likely I will be rushing to go out and I didn't want to have to wait." (She is really lucky I wasn't there to b*tchslap her).

So, I have asked that the three of us schedule a time to meet and discuss the parking problem. Any advice on how to approach this?

Pertinent info:

We are all renters
    Landlord lives in another city - has not been involved at this point
    We are all mid - twenties, female
    One of us can not park on the street overnight (HOA rules)
    One of us parking in the garage doesn't really help the situation and is inconvenient to all 3 of us - as we use it for other reasons.

Thanks for any advice!
    If you really think about it, what can you blame on a horse?

RM1 isn't pulling up because she doesn't want to be blocked in. You can ask her to pull up until the cows come home, and it won't make a difference.

Who gets home when? The best way to approach it may be to rearrange vehicles before everyone goes to bed at night, ensuring that RM1 has a clear exit. Otherwise, I'd suggest lowering your expectations of her to zero and continuing to play musical parking spots with RM2, who is cooperative.
    Jer 29: 11-13

2 members found this post helpful.

I agree with A4b. You're pretty much SOL.

But come on. You knew what the parking situation was (including restrictions about parking on the street) before signing the lease, right?
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

Actually, I moved in a month and half ago and it was just RM1 and I. Landlord didn't mention that the third room would be rented out until 2 weeks ago. At that time, I voiced concerns about parking. I have made the suggestion that we just rearrange the night before but she doesn't seem to be to receptive. RM2 and I want to nip this in the bud before it becomes a problem in the house. (RM2 and I are on great terms so far and have spoken about the problems, both of us feel that the drive way needs to be equally shared and on 'first come, first served' basis - not one person deciding they have sole right to half the drive way)

RM1 is not social and I have not had a conversation with her since moving in, mostly just informal greetings in passing. I have tried to get to know her and be friendly but she just holes up in her room or is gone.

If this continues, I will be bringing the land lord into it, but am really trying to avoid that.

Quote Originally Posted by Taken By Storm View Post
    RM1 is not social and I have not had a conversation with her since moving in, mostly just informal greetings in passing. I have tried to get to know her and be friendly but she just holes up in her room or is gone.
    She may not have the social skills to handle conflict (real or perceived). Some people operate from a defensive standpoint by nature, so preventing you from parking behind her may be a means of avoiding having to ask you to move. Just speculating there.

Anyhow, it may help your situation to immediately address that you understand she has a busy schedule and can totally relate to the inconvenience of being blocked in. Let her know you're perfectly happy to let her out if and when that situation arises but, in return, you ask that her request be at a reasonable time (i.e., you're awake and she plans to leave in 5-10... not waking you up at 8:30am so that she can leave at noon).

I still suggest keeping your expectations at zero. She may be receptive to working with you and RM2... or, given your description of avoidant behavior, feel singled out by her inconsiderate roommmates who just don't understand her schedule and needs. In the latter case, you're just going to have to accept it and work around her.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Actually, I moved in a month and half ago and it was just RM1 and I. Landlord didn't mention that the third room would be rented out until 2 weeks ago.
    How odd - honestly I have never heard of this situation before. So you have a lease to a single room - with no stipulation on who, or how many people your landlord adds to the house?

I have been renting for about 20 years, a good chuck of that has included roommates - every time it has been that the roommates band together, and rent a house together. If one leaves, and one is added, that is blessed by the landlord, and someone gets removed / added to the lease.

I would not feel comfortable about a landlord moving people into my living space that I did not know! Having roommates is hard enough, not being able to make sure they are people that you think you could get along with before "taking the plunge" would make me batty!

If this is how the LL is operating (renting out rooms to groups of strangers) then the LL should have really addressed the parking issue (room 1 gets spot X, room 2 spot y etc).

At first I was going to say NO WAY to contacting the landlord, this is something for the roomies to work out - but now that you have told us that the LL is the one moving people in and out - then I DO think its their problem.

7 members found this post helpful.

All agree to back in and just drive over the grass if you're in the back? That might get the landlord to intervene. Can you do three in a row parallel park style and use the other side only for driving (front car in garage if needed). Or is there a neighbor who only has one car that would rent you a driveway spot?

3 members found this post helpful.

What about rotating who gets blocked in? Or at bedtime, rearrange so whoever is out the door first is the second car in the row and then the remaining two have a clear shot out? I think you may have to force the fact that the issue needs to be addressed

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, I've never lived this but a friend has. They made a second key of cars and kept all on a keyring in the kitchen, so whoever was blocked could move the other person's car, get theirs out, and re-park the other person's.

Now clearly this worked because they all knew each other and chose to be roomies.
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

9 members found this post helpful.

It is a 4 bedroom, 3.5 bathroom house in a gated community. We all have separate leases. I lease just the master suite and den (office), the other girls each lease an upstairs bedroom and bathroom - we all have access to common areas and kitchen. I thought the other two rooms would be left empty for the landlord's use while they were in town, but apparently money is tighter than they thought and they decided to rent out one more room. The third roommate doesn't bother me much, as I was able to meet her prior to moving in (though neither I nor RM1 had any real say about who moved in). This type of lease situation is quite common around here (college town + medium sized city) and is somewhat short term (6 month lease with the option to go month-to-month) and a REALLY good deal for the area and quality of the house / community / surrounding area. Marshfield, I do plan on pushing this and will involve the landlord if necessary. I am fully willing to work with the other two, but she needs to be willing to work with us as well.

No to driving on the grass. House is on a 1/8 acre lot (think cookie cutter / stepford wives type area), you would hit a mailbox or decorative tree. Can't park parallel to the house as the drive way is just barley wide enough for 2 cars side by side parked perpendicular.

I plan on bringing up the suggestion of rearranging the cars at night, as that seems the best option since we all work on different schedules. RM1 leaves early morning, RM2 leaves mid morning, and I work from home but am gone often in the afternoon/evening/late night. I just need to figure out what to do when I am out until late at night. (The joys of being used to working the night shift and having friends still on that shift

Thanks everyone!

Keep playing musical cars with RM2 and let the air out of RM1's tires once in a while.

We do have these sorts of rental arrangements near UK in Lexington but generally people band together and offer up the landlord a group or a new tenant to replace a departure so they have a more cohesive group. I don't know how many parking spots they have and how it's dealt with, but I do know I declined a share rental once based on the configuration of the parking area and how the two units had too much "common space" and not enough delineated parking spots.

Do like the idea of renting a space nearby, but don't think it's fair that your rent will have essentially gone up and you'll have to walk further.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Easiest way to do it is to all hang your keys up so others can move your car around. Of course you'd need to trust that the other person would only (safely) move your car when needed and not galavant around town in it or run down mailboxes.

RM1 is being selfish. Not sure there is much of a cure for that unless you get landlord involved.

7 members found this post helpful.

Wake her up at 2 am when you get in to let her know you are ready to play musical cars . What a PITA to have to deal w/. Any way the LL could dump a load of rocks on another corner of the property and create a 2nd driveway? Though that would probably break all kinds of HOA rules...

How about a little rack by the door with the car keys on it so that if someone needs to leave and a car needs to be moved, you can just move a car?

I had a one car drive and a roommate. We just hung our keys by the door so that whichever of us needed to get out and were blocked in could back the other car out, then get our car out and move the other car back.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I plan on bringing up the suggestion of rearranging the cars at night, as that seems the best option since we all work on different schedules. RM1 leaves early morning, RM2 leaves mid morning, and I work from home but am gone often in the afternoon/evening/late night. I just need to figure out what to do when I am out until late at night. (The joys of being used to working the night shift and having friends still on that shift

Thanks everyone!
    Am I missing something? If RM1 leaves the earliest, doesn't it make sense that another car not be parked behind hers?

Roxy SM, it's more the fact that she refuses to work with RM2 and I during the afternoon / evening. If RM2 gets home (time varies so not set sched of when she will be home) and RM1 is blocking half the drive, she has to park behind me. When I have to leave for the evening/night, RM2 is the one who ALWAYS has to move her car for me to leave. Also, if I am out till 2am or later, I do not want to be woken up at 6am to move my car when RM1 can just park behind RM2, since RM1 leaves before RM2 and solve the problem before there is one.

All we are asking her to do is leave enough space behind her for someone to park for the afternoon / evening, (or at lease be willing to park on the street until evening like RM2 and I have had to do on occasion) and then cars can be rearranged when all 3 of us are home. Or, if I will be gone till very late, that she park behind RM2 so she still has a clear shot to get out in the AM. RM2 and I don't feel that this is unreasonable.

Regarding the question about creating another space, this is a neighborhood with very strict HOA regulations and VERY small yards. The driveway takes up more than half the front of the house and the lawn has a tree and a mailbox. The houses are only 4-5 feet from each other on either side and there is not vehicle access to the back of the house. (I wish there were, as that is where my room is)

The only way for this to work is to play musical cars and RM2 and I both expect RM1 to participate instead of acting like she has sole rights to half the drive (no, her lease does not give her any greater access to parking over RM2 and me). Maybe I am coming across as pushy, but I pay my share of rent (more than RM1 or RM2 since I have the master suite) and I expect to have equal access.

This is easy.

Announce that since there are now three and you've all hit some snags with the parking, keys or an extra car key only will be left in X location so if someone needs to get out, they can move a car around. No question, just "here's the solution to the problem, hope you all like it."

Then one night, park behind RM1, room or no room, the HOA won't slam you for one night, and leave your keys in the predetermined spot. If she tries to wake you up, you have remedy If she complains, then tell her to park on the street until someone else is home for the night, and pull in then, since she leaves the earliest.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

5 members found this post helpful.

Or you are RM2 can just swap keys and continue your own private game of musical cars. Just tell RM1 she always has to pull to the far edge of the drive if she wants to be left alone and have unrestricted access to the road.

In many respects, this is just not worth getting your undies in a bunch. It's a nuisance, not a topic for major combat.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    This is easy.

Announce that since there are now three and you've all hit some snags with the parking, keys or an extra car key only will be left in X location so if someone needs to get out, they can move a car around. No question, just "here's the solution to the problem, hope you all like it."

Then one night, park behind RM1, room or no room, the HOA won't slam you for one night, and leave your keys in the predetermined spot. If she tries to wake you up, you have remedy If she complains, then tell her to park on the street until someone else is home for the night, and pull in then, since she leaves the earliest.
    Yes, definitely! The earliest to leave should, if possible, Park in the street until one of you other two is home, and then she should park behind them over night. That way she doesn't have to bother with asking either of you to move your car at o'dark thirty in the morning. If it were me, I'd think the hassle of moving my car into the drive overnight would be much less than having to ask the roommates to move.

Perhaps when you get home (at a reasonable hour one day) and RM2 and RM1 are both there already, call RM1 before you get out of your car, asking her to move her car up. If she objects say it's because RM2 and you have been shuffling cars for weeks now and it's her time.