The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default So Now What? Horse Needs to Sell...

So I went in for what I thought was going to be a somewhat harmless procedure to have staples removed from the bone just under my knee. Ortho says about 2 weeks until back on the horse, possibly 1 if you are ambitious. Had the staples out and it was pretty terrible, apparently they had to chip away at a lot of bone. On the 2 week follow up appointment, he says another 3-4 weeks of rest and decreased activity and NO riding. I paid my full board the month of May and sent my 4yo WB mare out on training for the two weeks, paying more than double my typical costs.

Well, the two weeks is up and I'm looking at another stretch of no riding. I don't want to let her sit a month and then when I am out of shape and trying to get back into riding with my leg hop on a young athletic horse. She can't stay on full training due to the price and the fact that the trainer (who is great with young horses) doesn't do sales. I am just stuck, I don't know where to send her and I can't pay for a few months of full training board or board plus 4-5 rides per week while I wait for her to sell. I am an adult ammy and normally do everything myself from riding to grooming, so these circumstances were never in the budget. Making matters worse my mom (a good ammy in her 50's who usually helps me ride in a pinch) fell and broke her wrist walking the dog.

I have heard of trainers taking a horse on and possibly waiving board while the owner pays expenses and taking a larger percentage of the commission, but I don't even know how to go about finding the right situation. I have just had a run of bad luck and am at a loss. Any advice, suggestions, or plain old commiseration is appreciated.
    Admitted breechaholic and bargain hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by tua37516 View Post

I have heard of trainers taking a horse on and possibly waiving board while the owner pays expenses and taking a larger percentage of the commission, but I don't even know how to go about finding the right situation. I have just had a run of bad luck and am at a loss. Any advice, suggestions, or plain old commiseration is appreciated.
    Commiserations on the knee & everything else

BUT be very careful that you don't end up with a board bill + retroactive training expenses when horse doesn't sell & you want to remove her from trainer's program ...

Unless you know someone I'd just throw mare out for a couple months or find someone to "free lease" & ride - except if mare is sensitive this can go wrong so many ways, so unless you're able to oversee, I'd choose field life in a suitable herd for her.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Commiserations on the knee & everything else

BUT be very careful that you don't end up with a board bill + retroactive training expenses when horse doesn't sell & you want to remove her from trainer's program ...

Unless you know someone I'd just throw mare out for a couple months or find someone to "free lease" & ride - except if mare is sensitive this can go wrong so many ways, so unless you're able to oversee, I'd choose field life in a suitable herd for her.
    Free lease and ride would get me by a while, but not sure how many people would want to do so on a green just 4yo. She can jump and is honest, but isn't doing full courses yet because she still needs work on her balance at the canter. However another 30 days of a good flatwork program and I'd say she'd be about there. She has no problem with height and could be doing the baby green division in the near future.

I can't afford say $400/mo of field board (expensive area out here) turn out for say 1-2 months, her having off, then paying to get pro help to bring her back, then trying to ride and sell.

Not trying to nix suggestions, just really not sure what makes the most sense.

With everyone coming home from college, depending on your location, I think you might be able to find a free lease person for the summer to buy you some time. You might be able to find someone young and talented who would be both comfortable with a green horse as well as skilled enough to provide some benefit. And you're in the time of year where an indoor isn't a requirement.

11 members found this post helpful.

^^ This.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshfield View Post
    With everyone coming home from college, depending on your location, I think you might be able to find a free lease person for the summer to buy you some time. You might be able to find someone young and talented who would be both comfortable with a green horse as well as skilled enough to provide some benefit. And you're in the time of year where an indoor isn't a requirement.
    I think at this moment I would jump on that, if it were available! I don't know any teens or college students to be honest with you.

I think at this moment I would jump on that, if it were available! I don't know any teens or college students to be honest with you.
    You could contact the area Pony Club coordinators. Kids don't age out of Pony Club until 21, so they may have members with the skills you need, but no horse. You could also send the mare's bio to some trainers in the area and see if they might know of someone suitable. If you're near any colleges, contact their riding directors. If there's a local tack store/feed store, let them know the situation. Spread the word!

3 members found this post helpful.

If you're on Facebook, post on some groups there. I always see TONS of people looking for free leases! Or to exercise ride, etc.
    I hope it works out and you don't have to sell!

2 members found this post helpful.

A agree try a few groups in FB and posting in tack stores and maybe even chat with the staff. Also vet and farrier. Word of mouth may work. They could very well be out there, but I don't know of any trainers that will take your horse on sales only - no other fee. Fees are lower with there being a sales commission.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Free lease and ride would get me by a while, but not sure how many people would want to do so on a green just 4yo. She can jump and is honest, but isn't doing full courses yet because she still needs work on her balance at the canter. However another 30 days of a good flatwork program and I'd say she'd be about there. She has no problem with height and could be doing the baby green division in the near future.

I can't afford say $400/mo of field board (expensive area out here) turn out for say 1-2 months, her having off, then paying to get pro help to bring her back, then trying to ride and sell.
    If she's that green/particular that it will take a pro to get her going again after a couple months field turnout, I think you're going to be very limited in a "suitable rider" pool.
    She sounds like she really needs that pro ride to get her established & saleable in 30 days ... you may do best just to get her sold as is, then.

OP- I know a college aged girl that might be interested. She has been at DE VAL college this past year and is involved in the equestrian program there.
    I know you are roughly near me but don't know exactly where. She is in Pottstown.
    PM me if you want me to get you in touch with her.

I also know of high school girl that is graduating this year that might work out.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    If she's that green/particular that it will take a pro to get her going again after a couple months field turnout, I think you're going to be very limited in a "suitable rider" pool.
    She sounds like she really needs that pro ride to get her established & saleable in 30 days ... you may do best just to get her sold as is, then.
    Yes, I am ok selling as is. She turned 4 this spring and was backed/broke last summer with inconsistent work over the fall. So she is green. But she is rideable and doesn't throw temper tantrums or pull stunts, so I could see a good teen or college student. Just a matter of pulling it all together!

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    OP- I know a college aged girl that might be interested. She has been at DE VAL college this past year and is involved in the equestrian program there.
    I know you are roughly near me but don't know exactly where. She is in Pottstown.
    PM me if you want me to get you in touch with her.

I also know of high school girl that is graduating this year that might work out.
    Thanks a bunch! Sent you a PM.