The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default I'm officially crazy.... Update - We Rode!!!

This guy is coming home from the kill pen with me tomorrow or Wednesday... A good friend will be teaming up with me on him. I don't know if we'll end up keeping him or putting training on and rehoming... There was just something about him that told me I need to pull him - had to go with my gut!

http://auctionhorses.org/media/photos/1491-14063.jpg

So what do we think? Any guesses on breed? I see TB but not sold that he's 100% TB. He's not big, about 15hh. Gorgeous mover from what I'm told but not sure what their reference point for that is
    Last edited by RedmondDressage; Jul. 21, 2014 at 01:37 PM.

22 members found this post helpful.

I don't know what he is, maybe Appendix QH? But I think he is quite lovely. And a lucky boy. I'd be really curious to see him under saddle. I really like the looks of him...but I'm nobody, lol. Good luck with him. I hope he surpasses all expectations!
    Last edited by UlysMom; May. 25, 2014 at 06:15 PM.

4 members found this post helpful.

Cute guy! I'd say not TB, looks classic QH to me. I like his shoulder, so "nice movement" sure seems within reach.
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

3 members found this post helpful.

He's adorable! You did a good thing.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

4 members found this post helpful.

His smaller hip and larger front end make me think there's some Morgan in him along with QH. Built a lot like my mare who is Morgan/Arab X QH. Who knows though. When you mix enough stuff in, it's hard to say. He's a horse. We can be certain of that!

His mane isn't long and ratty so methinks he's been with "people" at some point along the way.

Good luck OP!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

5 members found this post helpful.

Agreed on the QH influence--nice looking guy! Good for you!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

1 members found this post helpful.

I love his typey head and kind eye. You have a winner there. Please keep us posted on his progress.

I don't see arabian or quarter horse, more like TB and if something mixed in there, well, don't know.

I will second that, if someone had a horse looking like that and knows the breeding, as BR has and does, then that is as good a guess as any.

How old did the Coggins say he is?
    If he is still maturing, he may change yet, but he looks to be older.

OP will know more after she works with him and shows what traits he brings to his handling and training.

Sometimes it helps to put a horse on FB or even Craiglist and someone, somewhere may know who he is and where he came from.

Good looking horse! Looks strong and smart.

I dunno..the feathering around fetlocks and a bit thick in throatlatch and head shape, could be mustang or part mustang . I have a part mustang part arab with some of same characteristics.

Whatever breed or cross he is, enjoy 1 Handsome guy.

2 members found this post helpful.

We thought perhaps appendix. He looks quite a bit like my 31 y.o. appendix gelding, but more uphill. I'm a dressage rider now but a former eventer. He says eventer to me, maybe because my appendix was also a cross country machine. Whatever he is we are excited to find him a job and give him a more positive fate!

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Countrywood View Post
    Good looking horse! Looks strong and smart.

I dunno..the feathering around fetlocks and a bit thick in throatlatch and head shape, could be mustang or part mustang . I have a part mustang part arab with some of same characteristics.

Whatever breed or cross he is, enjoy 1 Handsome guy.
    The feathering made me think older, since he doesn't seem to have draft in him.
    Didn't think some feral horses do have feathering still from long ago draft crosses, as our own feral horse did.
    He also was leggy, but he was more heavier set, showing more heavy breed characteristics than this one seems to.
    Ours was a wonderful ranch and cow horse, way above average in talent, a solid 15 hands, must have had some real good breeding behind him at some time.

Interesting what he may work for, once tried and trained.

Did anyone happen to look for a tattoo?
    Does he has a name yet?

I'm going with TB and something. TB x Morgan maybe? Or appendix. I definitely see TB in there, crossed with something a little heavier. I don't see Arab at all.

ETA: I didn't realize you don't know if he has a tattoo or not! In that case I'm going with full TB. I have a TB gelding that looks a whole lot like him confo wise. There are quite a few heavier boned TBs out there.
    Last edited by SAcres; May. 25, 2014 at 08:50 PM.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Haven't seen him in person yet but I'll look for a tattoo when I do, it'll be either tomorrow or Wednesday. His name from the people who list the feedlot horses is Jango but once we get to know him we'll probably give him something that fits. I have heard that he is sweet and loves scritches!

Good for you! He looks like a sweetheart!

Quote Originally Posted by RedmondDressage View Post
    Haven't seen him in person yet but I'll look for a tattoo when I do, it'll be either tomorrow or Wednesday. His name from the people who list the feedlot horses is Jango but once we get to know him we'll probably give him something that fits. I have heard that he is sweet and loves scritches!
    A pleasant disposition is a wonderful asset in any horse.
    That alone will make you smile every time you think about him.

How old is he?

He looks a lot like my Danzig bred TB mare. She was 15'1hh and wore a size 80 blanket and a 52" girth! If I didn't have her papers, I would have never guessed she was a TB. She was unraced so no tattoo. She was uphill like this guy, and had a similar head. I wonder if he has Danzig in his line, as she looked a lot like him.

http://adellequine.com/CandoColour/BianGS.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Capall View Post
    He looks a lot like my Danzig bred TB mare. She was 15'1hh and wore a size 80 blanket and a 52" girth! If I didn't have her papers, I would have never guessed she was a TB. She was unraced so no tattoo. She was uphill like this guy, and had a similar head. I wonder if he has Danzig in his line, as she looked a lot like him.

http://adellequine.com/CandoColour/BianGS.jpg
    He looks possibly all TB to me too, hard to see other in there, but for those feathers.
    I have not seen those on a pure TB before, unless an older one.

2 members found this post helpful.

Looks nice. I agree he looks like he has been with people recently- mane and a decent (if a bit skinny) weight. I like his expression- seems pretty calm, but interested in something in front of him.

I see QH. That neck comes from there. But then I've seen TB that are built the same. So, you have a horse to work with. That's what it all boils down to, so good luck with your horse.

Wish we could all be equally as a crazy. But those days that we thought would never end, have ended.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.