The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Board $ issue. WWYD?

To keep it fairly vague, due to a highly contagious virus sweeping through the barn, the horses on indoor board have been kicked outside 24/7 to prevent the virus from spreading further in close quarters. In addition, all boarders have been banned from visiting the property until all infected horses are better.

The BO has been doing a wonderful job with stripping the barn down, disinfecting it head to toe, and keeping all boarders UTD on their horses. Boarders are planning a very nice gift as a thank you for all BO's work to keep the virus as contained as possible (my alter is old and has nothing to do with this BO, btw!).

The horses being out of the barn is a necessity that I completely understand and am accepting of, but I'm not really sure how to bring up the fact that I've paid for a month of indoor board ($$), and am getting outdoor board ($) instead. This wouldn't really be an issue if I was swimming in cash, but I'm most certainly not and this really has an effect on my wallet!

How would you approach this nicely and tactfully?

How about the 'very nice gift' from the boarders is that they simply pay their board, even though the horses lived out?
    I just think buying a gift and then not wanting to pay full board is a head scratcher.
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

56 members found this post helpful.

I, personally, would not ask for a refund in board for the month. It's not really something that could be avoided and was for the good of the horse(s). The BO seems to working exceptionally hard to address the situation and as I have budgeted for my regular board payment each month, I wouldn't be bothered by it and would let it be.

35 members found this post helpful.

I'd just say "so, are we getting charged for outdoor board for this month?"

Don't count on a discount though - it sounds like they are doing just as much extra work and spending extra money on disinfectants, etc.

16 members found this post helpful.

I've paid for a month of indoor board ($$), and am getting outdoor board ($) instead. This wouldn't really be an issue if I was swimming in cash, but I'm most certainly not and this really has an effect on my wallet!
    Well, first off, if this did not happen, you'd be paying indoor board anyways, and presumably it wasn't hard on your wallet then, or you would've found cheaper board.

Second, I'm sure the vet bills for this extremely contagious virus would be expensive. Consider yourself lucky that the BO is smart enough to prevent the outbreak, rather than keep your horse on indoor board and you ending up with paying indoor board AND vet bills.

I think you should pay your board and keep your mouth shut.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

77 members found this post helpful.

I agree ^^. Not to mention that it sounds like the BO is absorbing the cost of disinfecting the barn. If your horse will be on pasture board for more than a month, I might reconsider.

Hope everyone is healthy soon!

7 members found this post helpful.

I would never ask for, or expect, a break on board in this situation.

19 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MeanieBO_Alter View Post
    To keep it fairly vague, due to a highly contagious virus sweeping through the barn, the horses on indoor board have been kicked outside 24/7 to prevent the virus from spreading further in close quarters. In addition, all boarders have been banned from visiting the property until all infected horses are better.

The BO has been doing a wonderful job with stripping the barn down, disinfecting it head to toe, and keeping all boarders UTD on their horses. Boarders are planning a very nice gift as a thank you for all BO's work to keep the virus as contained as possible (my alter is old and has nothing to do with this BO, btw!).

The horses being out of the barn is a necessity that I completely understand and am accepting of, but I'm not really sure how to bring up the fact that I've paid for a month of indoor board ($$), and am getting outdoor board ($) instead. This wouldn't really be an issue if I was swimming in cash, but I'm most certainly not and this really has an effect on my wallet!

How would you approach this nicely and tactfully?
    I wouldn't, because I would be fine with how everything was playing out. Things happen, and it's just for one month.

I'm not understanding how it "really has an effect" on your wallet? Didn't you budget for full board for this month? It's not like you're now being charged for full board AND pasture board...

6 members found this post helpful.

The posts so far are kind of confirming my thoughts to not say anything at all, but I should add that the infected horses are (and always have been) on the other side of the property and have always been on outdoor board. Kicking the indoor boarders out is mostly a necessary precaution even though the threat of actually contracting the virus is/was very very small for them.

Thanks all!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    I'm not understanding how it "really has an effect" on your wallet? Didn't you budget for full board for this month? It's not like you're now being charged for full board AND pasture board...
    My horse isn't the easiest keeper on the planet and needs more (really expensive) feed/hay/blankets (which I had to purchase for this) when outside in the colder/wetter months. Having a stall keeps him more comfortable and his weight up without pouring buckets of calories into him. I'm a student so have to be a bit of a penny-pincher, which is why it matters.

I just didn't want to look like a jerk and bring this board issue up without getting some opinions about it first. I'm really thankful for all the preventative care even if it's making me poorer!

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MeanieBO_Alter View Post
    My horse isn't the easiest keeper on the planet and needs more (really expensive) feed/hay/blankets (which I had to purchase for this) when outside in the colder/wetter months. Having a stall keeps him more comfortable and his weight up without pouring buckets of calories into him. I'm a student so have to be a bit of a penny-pincher, which is why it matters.

I just didn't want to look like a jerk and bring this board issue up without getting some opinions about it first. I'm really thankful for all the preventative care even if it's making me poorer!
    I see. I'd let the blankets slide, they're good to have on hand, but I think it's fair to say "Hey BO, I am on a pretty strict budget and the extra hay/feed that my horse needed to maintain condition while outside on pasture board is an extra expense that I wasn't expecting on top of the full board that I was already paying. Can we talk about that?"

It might not get you anywhere, but I think it would be a nice gesture for the BO to comp the extra hay/feed, and it can't hurt to ask.

10 members found this post helpful.

Well we pay full board all year round even though the horses are out 24/7 from May to October! Sometimes, it sucks because I feel that the BO gets lazy in the summer and does not do squat with the horses (oh, the grass and farm is well maintained), but to have to arrange for another boarder to give my horse her Previcox every day...is a PITA... However, I don't complain because the rest of the year... it's perfect!
    In your situation, I would rather pay the indoor board (if only for a month) than the vet bills.
    Hoping the sick horses feel better soon.

1 members found this post helpful.

There is no issue here. Pay your regular board rate and be very grateful your BO is so on top of the situation, and that the horses are safe and healthy.

I am still a bit confused about all this "extra" hay and feed. Are you buying your own hay and feed? Is it not included in your board? A bit odd to be paying full board but be supplying your own feed...

Honestly, I would let it go. This has been a nightmare for all.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbie.S View Post
    I am still a bit confused about all this "extra" hay and feed. Are you buying your own hay and feed? Is it not included in your board? A bit odd to be paying full board but be supplying your own feed...
    It's pretty standard for barns to limit the amount of hay and feed that is "included" with board.

As the owner of a pretty hard keeper myself, the amount of food that my horse is getting when she is inside for the cool nights is significantly less than she would need if she were out 24/7.

So if the OP had to either buy her own or compensate the barn owner for feed "above and beyond" what her horse normally eats inside on stall board, because he was now outside 24/7, I can understand why both she and her wallet were unhappy.

3 members found this post helpful.

OP, it's not winter yet and your horse would be a heck of a lot worse off if he contracted that virus then if he had to actually live outside in the fall for a few weeks.

Have you considered all the extra work they did to do the right thing and strip the stalls to disinfect the barn? Scrub everything? Re bed? Maybe replace grooming tools and barn implements? Which they absolutely did not have to do? Don't you think your indoor board charges should go to cover all the additional labor and materials that went into disinfecting that barn so your horse could have a safe and clean environment to live in?

I dunno, we all clamour for BOs to do the right thing and here they did and somebody is questioning the fact they acted for the good of the many, not their one.

IMO the financial and time costs for doing the proper cleaning and disinfecting equal the difference between indoor and outdoor board for that single month. You should be thankful you have a BO willing to deal head on with a situation like this instead of sit back and see how many get sick then shrug their shoulders.

I disagree its standard for "most" barns to limit feed. Some do, most don't as long as the horse is in good weight. If it's skinny and they won't feed more, you need to move.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

8 members found this post helpful.

The barn owner may be saving on bedding and stall cleaning time but I'll bet BO has work with more horses than normal needing outdoor water, outdoor feeding, outdoor monitoring in the face of a potential epidemic.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

Yeah, it sounds like your BO has really been earning his/her paycheck this month trying to keep this virus from spreading. I'd be inclined to be thankful that the extra precautions were taken and pay the full month's board.

It sucks to be out the extra money to make your horse comfortable living outside (and trust me, I know about penny pinching!) but think of how expensive the vet bills would be if your horse caught the virus...

I suspect the OP's horse is perfectly fine outside and might even like it better, but the OP pays the bills. Personally, as a BO, if a boarder asked me for reduced board when I was busting my butt cleaning my barn for a problem that I didn't create, I would be asking that boarder to find another place to board. I don't need this kind of ingratitude when I am paying extra dollars and putting in goodness knows how much labor to make things right. Maybe the OP lives in a terrible place, but the October weather is fine in VA and I have lots of grass in my fields.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

15 members found this post helpful.

^ Um, ouch . I think I've mentioned few times how grateful I am for what the BO has done. We all are.. hence the gift worth several hundred dollars (fancy spa package). If my horse was happy and fine outside, he would be living out 24/7, too. I didn't want to post a ton of details but I'm a little put out because I'm the only paying indoor boarder. The horses who are inside are all the BOs and the other indoor boarders do all their own stalls/supply their own bedding/etc. I can't because of school and work and all that jazz so I shell out the full cost.

Anywayssss.. thanks all for your input. I'll just leave it.

8 members found this post helpful.

This poor BO can't win.

If they didn't act in the fantastic, pro active way that they have, they would be criticized for their callus disregard for the health of the animals in their care.

If they bust their humps, working probably twice as hard as normal, thought 2 steps ahead of disease and most likely have already lost a fair bit of money fighting for the health of the herd, they get clients wanting discounts.

You wonder why great BO/BM's are so rare? This is why. We get tired and demoralized and shut our doors.

16 members found this post helpful.