The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How long do your ag fans last?

The barn I manage uses cheap box fans hung on stall fronts in the summer. These fans are old, have never been cleaned, and most are connected by extension cords.

At our next exec board meeting, I'm giving a proposal to switch to ag fans.

How long do yours last? I assume we will use them for about 4 months out of the year.

Also, if you have any good resources to help make my "case", that would be appreciated as well.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Fourteen Months Living and Working in Costa Rica

How about safety? Cheap box fans are not designed to be in the dusty barn environment.
    http://auburnpub.com/news/local/fire...25eeb46b4.html

http://www.accessnorthga.com/detail.php?n=264693

Lasko is probably one of the biggest box fan manufacturers.
    http://recall.laskoproducts.com/
    http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/03/...of-seven-fire/

Other stats regarding fan fires:
    http://www.cpsc.gov//PageFiles/109235/finalreport.pdf

I don't know how long the ag fans last. I board and the BO has had the same huge floor fan for the entire 10 years I have known her. She has a newer fan in the new part of the barn and it must be 6 years old. It sits up on a shelf that was built for it. We don't really use fans for each stalls. The barn has decent airflow but with the big industrial fans it is really nice.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

2 members found this post helpful.

All fans are limited to the life of the bearings. Sealed-for-life bearings live 2-5 years before the grease inside goes south and ends the bearing life. (That's 365/24/7) So it is reasonable that a properly designed and maintained fan with good quality bearings should last years.

That said, manufacturers typically save a dollar or two by using no-name junk bearings because they can hide it from the consumer until years down the road. I know that with affordable trailers the wheel bearings are typically junk quality. So finding an affordable fan with good quality bearings may be an oxymoron.

We have the TSC fans (bought last summer), and you can bet that when the first one begins to go south I'll be pulling it apart to see what failed and whether it's repairable. Hopefully a couple of quality bearings will put it back into service, and last much longer.

David

2 members found this post helpful.

we run ours a lot down here in Texas. I have had some last a year, several others up to three years. I won't use box fans, but cost is not the reason. They don't move the air that well, but safety is the main reason. They aren't built for outdoor/barn use and there have been a number of recalls due to fire.
    You will have a hard time convincing the barn to change fans due to the money. Box fans are about $20 a pop. TSC fans and similar fans start at about $70 to $80 dollars. You're going to have to get at least 4 years out of them to break even. That has not been my experience.

1 members found this post helpful.

Are the farmtek fans vs the TSC fans worth the money? Looking at this one to be mounted high in one corner of my stalls: http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies...68_111088.html

I bought the big drum fan from TSC and it didn't even last a year, so when I put up the wall mounted fans, I went with the Farmtek fans. This is my second summer with them and the run constantly in the heat and humidity.

I tried to leg in to the fans. I put up two of the 24 inch fans at each end of the barn last year and this year I put up 4 of the 18 inch fans above each stall. One average hot days I just use the small fans but on the super hot days I use all of the fans. The large farmtek fans are quite loud, so I get tired of listening to them but the horses don't seem to mind.

I think I'm on my third summer with a couple of Durafans from qcsupply.com. Now, we don't run them nearly as much as you southern and eastern folks, I'm sure, since we don't usually get long heat waves, but I think others on COTH have posted about them and also been happy. They are a little cheaper than the Farmtek ones IIRC, but still have the sealed motors and suitable for barn use. I haven't checked the website, but wouldn't surprise me if they are sold out of some colors or sizes for the season as I ran into that last year when I went to buy a third one. Picked it up earlier this summer, so now I have one for each stall. I just did the 14" ones as I found the 18" was too big for my needs, and the 14" are quieter. I still have an 18" one that I'm either going to mount elsewhere or sell.

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    I just did the 14" ones as I found the 18" was too big for my needs, and the 14" are quieter. I still have an 18" one that I'm either going to mount elsewhere or sell.
    I agree with the 14" size. I bought 18" Air Kings and find my guys sometimes stand outside of the airflow as if it's too much blowing on them. I have them on low and they still push a lot of air. In retrospect, the 14" would have been my best choice.

My barn uses box fans, but the owner requires us to buy new ones each year. This year I noticed that they were selling sealed motor box fans for use in windows (advertised as keeping the rain out and being safer). Not sure if anyone has had experience with those yet. My $80 TSC ag fan definitely moves a lot more air and worked hard for 3-4 years, but it doesn't fit in her fan boxes and she likes everything to look uniform.
    "A good man will take care of his horses and dogs, not only while they are young, but also when they are old and past service." Plutarch

Quote Originally Posted by SomedaySoon View Post
    This year I noticed that they were selling sealed motor box fans for use in windows (advertised as keeping the rain out and being safer). Not sure if anyone has had experience with those yet.
    If you mean the Lasko brand available at Wal-Mart, I got the Weathershield fans hoping they'd hold up to hosing at the end of the season.
    I can't remember if that was 1 or 2 years ago, or one of each. Hosed both fans last year; one was dead in May but came back to life in June. That is probably the same one that quit a week ago.

Reading the warranty it doesn't sound like they'd give me a refund for the fan not holding up, since it wasn't used for indoor use (or was it residential use?) I'm going back to the regular cheap fans, they usually survived one hosing. Why pay 33% more for the Weathershield if the cheap ones are just as likely to work after hosing.

I am on my third summer with stall fans from Farmtek. This year I bought a floor fan from TSC with the sealed motor. It moves more air than the stall fans and I kind of like it better. Previously, I had 2 commercial floor fans that I liked a lot but the motor wasn't sealed, thus the purchase from TSC. I used them for 4 summers, though. They probably only run about 4 hrs a day maybe 2-3 weeks out of the year. So, I'd say I get my moneys worth out of all of them.

sweetas:

I am on year five with my Farmtek fans. I have the 18" ones mounted on 2x6s on the trusses above the stalls and aimed at the walls. I have them set on medium because high setting is too much. They run all day during the summer, are cleaned and then bagged for the winter.

I have eight of them and just replaced one last month because it was beginning to make a noise that I thought could be a bearing. I have not taken it apart yet, but plan to do so. I am hoping it will be fix-able or that I can find the source of the noise and it's not serious. It is still working; I am just paranoid about such things.

Overall, I have been very happy with them and I think I have gotten my money's worth.

I get several years out of my 20" Farmtek fans, and that's with leaving them up year round (brushed off, but not bagged.). They get used probably May - September, running about 10 hrs a day. I too keep them on medium because they are so strong.

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    How about safety? Cheap box fans are not designed to be in the dusty barn environment.
    http://auburnpub.com/news/local/fire...25eeb46b4.html

http://www.accessnorthga.com/detail.php?n=264693

Lasko is probably one of the biggest box fan manufacturers.
    http://recall.laskoproducts.com/
    http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/03/...of-seven-fire/

Other stats regarding fan fires:
    http://www.cpsc.gov//PageFiles/109235/finalreport.pdf

I don't know how long the ag fans last. I board and the BO has had the same huge floor fan for the entire 10 years I have known her. She has a newer fan in the new part of the barn and it must be 6 years old. It sits up on a shelf that was built for it. We don't really use fans for each stalls. The barn has decent airflow but with the big industrial fans it is really nice.
    This, I can't believe how often people use random box fans in barns. Might as well just let people smoke around the hay while you're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by quarterhorse4me View Post
    I bought the big drum fan from TSC and it didn't even last a year.
    Same experience here. Money down the drain.