The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 61
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Feb. 14, 2003
    Location
    Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!
    Posts
    7,588

    Default

    Day trips make me very happy! Up early, breakfast somewhere, drive a few hours to a cool destination, do your thing--hike, walk on the beach, visit the museum/even, lunch, beer, shop--then home again in time for dinner and evening chores. I am blessed to live in the PNW where I can drive 3 hours in any direction and find something to do: North to Seattle/Puget Sound/Cascades/volcano; East to the plateau and sun/wineries/hiking/sun/mountains/dry weather; West to the Pacific and beaches/shopping/hiking/wildlife/sights/Tillamook Ice Cream Factory! or South into the spectacular Willamette valley for more hiking/shopping/gardens/festivals/wineries/bird watching.

    See? who needs to fly for hours, I've got it all right here! Today we escaped the rain by driving an hour east to the sun of the east side of the Cascades to hike the canyons of the Gorge in Lyle, WA. Lunch at a brew pub, leisurely drive back into the rain. Easy peasy.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!


    2 members found this post helpful.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Oct. 21, 1999
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    13,100

    Default

    I didn't vacation much all the time I was working and caring for Parents and my Aunt. There was plenty to do at home. Now that part of my life is over and I find that I really love to travel. I have a great barn owner, so I can leave my horse without worrying. I have also found a wonderful pet sitter who I can trust with my, sometimes difficult to manage because of their varied eating habits, five cats.

    I'm not getting any younger and now is the time to see the things that I want to see. I don't want to get to the point where I am too old to travel comfortably and have regrets because I never saw and experienced the places that I have always wanted to go. I want some memories of them to relive.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jul. 24, 2008
    Posts
    4,021

    Default

    My husband and I took our first "vacation" last weekend since we bought the farm in 2011. We left the house at about 4pm on Saturday, went for dinner in town and rented a fancy hotel room w/ a Jacuzzi & fireplace, and we were back home by 11:00am on Saturday . It was nice but I was itching to come home that morning, the sun was shining and I wanted to be AT THE BARN!

    I have about 5 weeks of vacation booked this year and my plan is to stay home and enjoy the house, garden, and horses every day of it. This week is my first week off for the year -- strategically booked to coincide with our "last frost" date (although this year we've still been getting down to the freezing mark the last couple of nights).
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**


    1 members found this post helpful.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Mar. 24, 2004
    Location
    Pottstown, PA (East Coventry)
    Posts
    3,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by independentlyawesome View Post
    Not even a vet clinic?
    Actually the vet clinic killed my Dad and step-mom's cat. They brought the cat there for a 5 day trip so they could drive to the other side of FL. The cat needed insulin 2xs a day. The vet claimed they couldn't get the cat out of the cage since it was so nasty. So they just didn't give the cat the shots. They didn't bother to call my step-mom to tell her this. Dad and step-mom could have ended trip early and come home if they had been told about the issue.

    By the way scary cat had no front claws. I guess this vet has never heard or animal handling gloves or muzzles or slip leashes or scruffing the little bugger.

    I had never known the cat to be mean but he was a bit of a scaredy cat.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)



  5. #45
    Join Date
    Dec. 4, 2005
    Posts
    1,389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    Actually the vet clinic killed my Dad and step-mom's cat. They brought the cat there for a 5 day trip so they could drive to the other side of FL. The cat needed insulin 2xs a day. The vet claimed they couldn't get the cat out of the cage since it was so nasty. So they just didn't give the cat the shots. They didn't bother to call my step-mom to tell her this. Dad and step-mom could have ended trip early and come home if they had been told about the issue.

    By the way scary cat had no front claws. I guess this vet has never heard or animal handling gloves or muzzles or slip leashes or scruffing the little bugger.

    I had never known the cat to be mean but he was a bit of a scaredy cat.
    that is terrible!

    its more my issue- I would not want my dog to stay at a vet (its not fun for the dog and it increases the possibility of catching something).

    I think we are going to bring the dog with anyways since its likely a shorter cabin type hiking thing so the insulin isn't an issue.



  6. #46
    Join Date
    Oct. 21, 2013
    Posts
    1,233

    Default

    I take short vacations. I bring my dog with me usually if it is in the US and the cats I leave with my parents or friends whoever is not coming with me. At my parents house they stay in my old bedroom / guest room (they are connected through a large joining bathroom so they have lots of space). The thing that is tough with them is I feed them raw meat/bones/organs... not ground up either and one cat needs to be crated when he eats or he drags food. So whoever watches them kind needs to be okay with that, and many people are not. I probably would not trust a pet sitter to feed them. I do get worried whenever I leave them, so I check in daily to make sure all is well. My dog sometimes has to be let out often to relieve himself... he is old. So that can be hard finding someone who is home a lot but my friends watched him fine when I went to Jamaica last summer. This summer I'm just going to Hatteras, NC for 4 days and bringing him with us.
    To understand via the heart is not to understand.



  7. #47
    Join Date
    Aug. 6, 2002
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    2,361

    Default

    I haven't been on a vacation in a decade. Most of the problem was financial - I either couldn't afford it or couldn't afford to leave work.

    But now I have to admit, the reason I don't want to go away = my dogs. One dog, really, in particular. My giant male Caucasian Ovcharka, Beowulf, is the biggest baby about being away from me. The CO's are just such emotional dogs, I've never seen the like! He has to endure my being at work 10 hrs a day, and that's about all he can bear (with full access to house & dog door opening to half acre fenced yard).

    Fortunately I do have 2 people who can and would take care of mine if I left. But if I went away on vacation, any pleasure would be overridden by worrying about the pain & anxiety my big Wulfy-Bear would surely be suffering!

    Mostly I am happy to be home, but at times I yearn to see more of central USA - the Grand Canyon for example. Someday - after my dear momma's boy Wulfy-Bear passes to the Rainbow Bridge



  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jan. 19, 2014
    Posts
    959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cuatx55 View Post
    that is terrible!

    its more my issue- I would not want my dog to stay at a vet (its not fun for the dog and it increases the possibility of catching something).

    I think we are going to bring the dog with anyways since its likely a shorter cabin type hiking thing so the insulin isn't an issue.
    Changing vacation plans to include the dog... that's my style! Hiking is way more fun with dogs.

    Depends on how the vet clinic is set up, but yeah I prefer not to leave mine in the back cages with sick animals. There's a great vet around here that has an area that's just for boarding dogs so it's the same as a normal kennel.

    Sonnysmom: that is... appalling. I hope you reported that vet practice to the state board if your story is true.



  9. #49
    Join Date
    Oct. 26, 2005
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    4,603

    Default

    No extra money for a vacation, so i call my time at the barn my getaway!
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!



  10. #50
    Join Date
    Apr. 9, 2004
    Posts
    231

    Default

    I would not survive without vacations! In my opinion, there is so much to see and do, so many new places to explore... I love traveling! My dogs are not easy dogs, but I have carefully chosen a dog walking company and individually met with the specific dog walkers that would care for my pets, and I have no concerns when I am traveling because of that. It is also, again in my opinion, critical to have emergency care options available in the unfortunate event an emergency does occur and one must leave town, or one finds him/her self in the hospital unexpectedly.



  11. #51
    Join Date
    Jul. 13, 2011
    Location
    East Longmeadow, MA
    Posts
    3,834

    Default

    I would not survive without vacations either! Take at least two a year. However, my horse is boarded and I have a most excellent cat sitter - a pro.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!



  12. #52
    Join Date
    Mar. 24, 2004
    Location
    Pottstown, PA (East Coventry)
    Posts
    3,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by independentlyawesome View Post
    Sonnysmom: that is... appalling. I hope you reported that vet practice to the state board if your story is true.
    I don't think they reported the vet practice. I live in PA and didn't know what practice it was in FL. It was about 10 years ago so less internet access to figure out where to report or that it should be reported.
    It was her normal vet at the time so she did change vets when they got a new cat a few months later.
    Charlie was a cool cat. He was a polydactal and had 2 extra toes on the back and on front paw, 3 extra toes on one front and an extra pad on that foot. He left really strange paw prints. He was born in my closet at my apartment a week before we moved into my first house. Momma was a stray around the apartment complex and was already preggo when I took her in.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)



  13. #53
    Join Date
    Aug. 7, 2005
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,562

    Default

    I haven't had a vacation in 45 years. Just can't think of anywhere I would want to be other than here.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Jul. 20, 2007
    Location
    Rising Sun, MD
    Posts
    3,843

    Default

    DH and I go away as often as possible- not that I don't love our farm, but we both also love to travel. I have things set up as easily as possible, then hire (or bribe ) friends and family, set up some emergency protocol and away we go. No biggie. If travel/ vacation is something you truly want to do, then you'll find a way to do it.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain



  15. #55
    Join Date
    Feb. 7, 2005
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Posts
    5,302

    Default

    I take vacations multiple times a year - I love going new places and revisiting old ones. I use up all my vacation time (over 4 weeks now) and almost never spend any of it just sitting around at home. Partially for this reason, I haven't tied myself down with lots of pets and such. I have just one cat, and she is fine by herself for the weekend with extra food and water. If I go away for longer, I have two people who can stop by and care for her.

    If I do eventually have a dog (aside from the family dog who lives with my parents) I would certainly have no qualms about putting him in boarding in order to go away. Our pets are family members, but they are still animals and not tiny people. They can do just fine without us for a week as long as someone is taking care of them.



  16. #56
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2005
    Location
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Posts
    14,262

    Default

    Last (and first) real vacation for the 2 of us was 10 days in Ireland in 2003.

    Vacations at least for me since then have tended to be problematic
    Trip to ABQ to find older daughter a house to by worked well

    Trip to Sedona I got an abscessed tooth

    Trip to ABQ to visit daughter and balloon fest Mr P got an abscessed tooth

    First trip to Cadillac MI to visit younger daughter was uneventful, second trip we missed our connection and got to spend our 40th anniversary in Cleveland. Last trip was OK.

    Once a year or so Mr P will go on a golf trip with his buddies.

    With the AmEx, airline, hotel and rental car points Mr P has earned we could go just about anywhere for the cost of meals.

    My housecleaner and the dogs get along....she has stayed with them before and the horses are OK with a round bale and someone to eyeball them and make sure they have water.

    Mr P travels a LOT for business. I enjoy staying home when he is around
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.



  17. #57
    Join Date
    Nov. 5, 2002
    Location
    way out west
    Posts
    3,314

    Default

    My last one was a trip to Hawaii in 2006. I've gone out of town for horse shows, but I don't count them as vacations...too stressful. I'm happy at home, to be honest. I trail ride in gorgeous mountains all summer long, and don't really feel like I want to go anywhere else while I can do that.



  18. #58
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2007
    Location
    Pen Argyl PA
    Posts
    4,704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    I take vacations multiple times a year - I love going new places and revisiting old ones. I use up all my vacation time (over 4 weeks now) and almost never spend any of it just sitting around at home. Partially for this reason, I haven't tied myself down with lots of pets and such. I have just one cat, and she is fine by herself for the weekend with extra food and water. If I go away for longer, I have two people who can stop by and care for her.

    If I do eventually have a dog (aside from the family dog who lives with my parents) I would certainly have no qualms about putting him in boarding in order to go away. Our pets are family members, but they are still animals and not tiny people. They can do just fine without us for a week as long as someone is taking care of them.
    will they survive being boarded? YES. but my dogs have special issues that i have worked hard to get them to overcome. i feel that a kennel situation would totally put them back where they were. Polly is deathly afraid of everyone. she was a puppy mill dog who was caged outside. a Kennel situation is not going to be good for her. Spike came from an abusive home where the wife let him get away with stuff and then the husband would come home and beat him for it. he was very confused and a biter. he would not do well in a kennel either. and the stress it would cause my dogs is not worth the vacation. and if i had one dog, yes it would be easy to find help but we have 5 dogs. our choice. but thankfully, as i said, we are happy to stay home and enjoy life in the back yard.



  19. #59
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    We go on vacation but only because we have an excellent pet sitter, board my horses, and have friends with condos who invite us along so expenses are low other than airfare and food.



  20. #60
    Join Date
    Feb. 7, 2005
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Posts
    5,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post
    will they survive being boarded? YES. but my dogs have special issues that i have worked hard to get them to overcome. i feel that a kennel situation would totally put them back where they were. Polly is deathly afraid of everyone. she was a puppy mill dog who was caged outside. a Kennel situation is not going to be good for her. Spike came from an abusive home where the wife let him get away with stuff and then the husband would come home and beat him for it. he was very confused and a biter. he would not do well in a kennel either. and the stress it would cause my dogs is not worth the vacation. and if i had one dog, yes it would be easy to find help but we have 5 dogs. our choice. but thankfully, as i said, we are happy to stay home and enjoy life in the back yard.
    Animals with special needs are different... I would likely not adopt an animal with such needs because it doesn't fit my lifestyle. I understand others may need to keep the animals at home where they are comfy, etc. but to ME pets should be able to deal if I go away for a while.



Similar Threads

  1. Vacations~ when do take them?
    By clanter in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Dec. 25, 2012, 09:52 AM
  2. Riding Vacations
    By Lateralwork in forum Off Course
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Dec. 30, 2011, 12:42 PM
  3. Horse vacations?
    By coloredcowhorse in forum Off Course
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: May. 19, 2011, 01:22 PM
  4. Trainer's vacations
    By stolen virtue in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: May. 15, 2011, 09:20 PM
  5. Vacations - other countries
    By MyGiantPony in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Apr. 22, 2011, 05:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness