The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default how many of you never take vacations?

I have 5 dogs. 4 were rescues and 2 of those have issues. One is deathly afraid of anyone who does not live in my house, and the other will bite you first( if you don't live here) then lick you. So it's not easy to find a house/dog sitter.

We board our 2 horses 3 miles away next to a state park with 18+ miles of trails to ride on. We have a nice house with a big back deck, and i enjoy sitting out back with the dogs and breathing the fresh air.

There are times i think i would love to get back to hawaii, but it's just so difficult to find anyone to help, it's more stress than it's worth to go on vacation. At least i'm happy where we are and i don't really feel the need to go on vacation. Out of all our friends, i think i'm an oddball b/c most of them DO plan vacations.

How about you?

2 members found this post helpful.

My dog has diabetes and I don't trust anyone else to do her 2x a day injections so no vacations for me. Not worth it.

Eh, we take short ones at least. Get away for the weekend. They have been logging on our road just in earshot and it's been good to just LEAVE. Now it's done and I'm happily home.

It would be hard to be tied to a property like that, at least for me it would. I love my deck...but I love to go away so I can come back

I haven't taken a real vacation since 2005, and even that wasn't a real vacation - it was a missionary trip to a tropical location. Sure, I've taken mini vacations to the beach, but that's about it. I live on a shoestring budget so most extra money goes towards horse stuff.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

1 members found this post helpful.

We had friends who had abused dogs and we always watched them. I would have a friend come over all the time to get the dogs used to her then have her watch them. The only problem is what is something happens to you? Of you die or get put in a hospital. Who can take care of the dogs then?

5 members found this post helpful.

I traveled for nearly twenty-five years for business, I just stay home and take care of the stock when I have time off any more

I understand. Right now I have an elderly border collie with severe hip displaysia and a dozen chicks in the brooder.

But - those are (sadly in the case of my elderly border collie) temporary conditions.

I think it's important not to miss out on family occasions and vacations because of your animals.

Remember county? I didn't agree with the majority of what he had to say, God rest his soul, but his warnings against becoming such a slave to livestock that you never go anywhere were spot on.

9 members found this post helpful.

I have elected not to take certain trips because of the critters, but I really do think it's wise to find at least 2-3 people you trust and make sure they know the routine because I may not take many vacays but I've had to leave for family emergencies and it's very comforting to know that I've got reliable options.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

9 members found this post helpful.

It's been 10 years.
    A few months ago my son was musing when/if we could go to Disney... I told him probably after we were done paying so much to care for Yo Yo.
    He asked 'how long do they normally live?' and I was impressed at how quickly he did the math that he would not get to go to Disney until he was a teen.

He hasn't yet asked when we can go... since we put Yo'ster down.
    Smart kid.
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

DH had his first day off in two years last week. The time before this was 2 days in CO Springs. He doesn't even take days off when I birth children. Now me, I load the kids every summer and take off for 3 weeks or so, plus a week here or there through the year
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Quote Originally Posted by cuatx55 View Post
    My dog has diabetes and I don't trust anyone else to do her 2x a day injections so no vacations for me. Not worth it.
    Not even a vet clinic?

My dog slept by my side every night for the first 1.5 years I had her, then I started leaving her at a kennel for a night or two. Last fall I left her at the kennel for 3 nights, and she was fine, so I think I'll be OK with leaving her for a longer trip next time.

I really enjoy staycations, though. I spend so much time working/studying that I don't have time to really explore my local area. Last summer I took a week where I went to yoga everyday, ate dinner each night at a different local restaurant, took my dog hiking several times, read a few novels. It was glorious! And even if I ate $60 dinners, it still costs less than going somewhere

There is no place I'd rather be than home. I dread traveling. My dream vacation is a staycation. No work, no agenda, my horses all day?! Sign me up!!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

6 members found this post helpful.

I've been out of town overnight for 3-4 days exactly TWICE in the last 28 years. Foxhunting in VA the first time, dressage intensive in VT the latter.
    It's so damn much work to orchestrate everything to go away, it's more work than if I'd stayed home!

And you know what? Staying home doesn't bother me a bit!

That said, my folks all live locally, we've got a nice boat to go out on, and a day in the city is do-able regularly with a neighbor checking in on the horses. I constantly hear travel horror-stories from my friends, so I don't envy them!

1 members found this post helpful.

We board a couple of horses and have eight of our own. Add in three dogs and a cat and we rarely both go somewhere at the same time. The headache of organizing it all is not worth the trip sometimes.

Haven't had a family vacation since 2008. We've all gone off independently but I'd like to go as a group to a couple of places anyway. I don't think we'll be replacing the old guy once he goes, not for a while anyway.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

i really need to find an emergency person, and we had been using a wonderful dog sitter with the bitty dog and our youngest female dog, and it was going great. we did a few overnights and the biter was actually very good and we were thrilled bc i have someone who can deal with the other 3. but then dog sitter decided to have a child, and i just don't trust our bitty dog or the female with a baby. they don't know what a baby is, and it makes me too nervous. that is the difficult part of finding dog sitters/house sitters. it's not easy to find a good one. i am still looking, though.

I was really lucky back home because I knew a lot more people. Since moving, I've had to come up with brand new options.

Calling around to local vet clinics might net you someone who really does know what they're doing. Do a test drive or whatever for a short weekend.

It's hard when you've had someone you know you can count on but then have to start from scratch. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post
    i really need to find an emergency person, and we had been using a wonderful dog sitter with the bitty dog and our youngest female dog, and it was going great. we did a few overnights and the biter was actually very good and we were thrilled bc i have someone who can deal with the other 3. but then dog sitter decided to have a child, and i just don't trust our bitty dog or the female with a baby. they don't know what a baby is, and it makes me too nervous. that is the difficult part of finding dog sitters/house sitters. it's not easy to find a good one. i am still looking, though.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Just FYI, but I'm a divorce lawyer. Y'all wouldn't believe how many stories I hear start with "because of the animals, we never got to go away anywhere together."

99% of my "vacations" are spent doing volunteer work --- so I'm away from work, but quite likely working longer hours and harder work --- but at least I'm home at night so taking care of the dogs isn't problem. (I have a dog door and they can go in and out as they please.) I'm actually getting away for a brief REAL trip away for the first time in 5 years or so, to visit a friend in Arkansas. I have someone who will come in and feed the dogs every day. I feel guilty leaving them, but sometimes you do need to get away --- and as stressed out as I am now, I have to take a break.

I have 8 horses and 2 cats.

What is a vacation?
    https://www.facebook.com/MariposaSportHorses

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

3 members found this post helpful.