The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Vinyl plank flooring anyone used it?

We're thinking of replacing some carpet in our basement. This seems like a good basement option. I'm curious what people who have installed it and lived with it think. This would be for guest room and family room that are rarely used (except for spiders who I am trying to discourage).

We had about 450 feet of Mannington Adura plank installed in our living and dining rooms. We absolutely love it. We have three dogs and a cat who had destroyed the carpet and we didn't want to spend the money for hardwoods. We chose the glue down install over a new 1/4" of plywood that they did over our subfloor. We are thrilled with it. Looks great, no scratches (we put three large ikea pieces together the day after install so dragged cardboard and parts all over it ). I use the Mannington no rinse cleanser and a microfiber spray mop. It's several months old and looks brand new. Feels great on your feet too. We will probably do the floating install over some botched kitchen tiles. It's easy to clean , looks great and no worries about scratching , moisture or maintenance. It wasn't cheap but we love it. I would use it in my basement but the carpet is new and the animals aren't down there as much.

1 members found this post helpful.

I put DuraPlank in my kitchen. I initially thought I wanted hardwood and was seeking the toughest hardwood I could find so the dog's nails wouldn't scratch. I think it was bamboo I was looking at initially UNTIL the store owner pointed out that it could be very slippery. The dog I had at that time had back end issues so I immediately discarded the hardwood idea and I looked at the DuraPlank which had some texture. I was very pleased with the way it came out but honestly have rug runners over it of the same carpeting of the LR and DR so I have less floor to actually mop. Hate mopping floors whereas I don't mind running the vacuum. Also don't like a hard surface to stand on. Prefer the warmth and cushioning of carpet but that's just a personal preference.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

We used it in our laundry room and mudroom, and I like it a lot. It was easy, quick, and looks fine.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!