The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default who takes care of you when you are sick?

Sad little vent/whine.... Who takes care of you when you are sick?

I don't mean if you dying of cancer, or had a stroke or heart attack. I mean when you are just rotten sick - sinus headache, post nasal drip, very sore throat, fluid behind ear drums, horrid cough, fever. I know I am going to get well, eventually. Hubby has the same thing, I'm tired, but to hear him talk he is dying.

I am 68 and I really want my mom. Sigh.

2 members found this post helpful.

I'll adopt you - hug hug - chicken noodle soup and all.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

1 members found this post helpful.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

me....there is no one else...
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

9 members found this post helpful.

my german shepherd dog, if I am off she is by my side... not sure if its to comfort me or to obtain unlimited attention by me. After a while of unlimited oversight by her, even if I still don't feel good it is time to move on

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    Me too. The advantage mroades and I do have though is that we don't have to listen to a partner moaning and groaning over a little cold or whatever. I've had friends complain about how hubby is dying when he get a paper cut let alone a mild cold.

Fortunately I rarely get sick and in the 24 yrs I've been on the farm, other than a few colds, I've only once felt so lousy that I went back to bed for 2 days in a row after feeding the horses and cleaning stalls. I'm out of horses now so I only have the dog to walk if I do get sick.

Now I will admit that twice I've 'closed' the barn when I had foot surgery and hand surgery. First with foot surgery(both feet) I sent one very green horse to the trainer and other horse to board at a friends place for the 3 months I needed for recovery. The 2nd time I closed the barn, I had one horse that I euthanized due to hind end issues and shipped the other to a friend for 3 months when I had the hand surgery (both hands).
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    Ditto. Housemate drove me to the ER once but i would have called a cab if he hadn't been around. This is why i am proactive in trying not to get sick.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

When I'm sick I want to be left alone. I don't want a "Nurse Nancy" annoying me with questions about "do you want" etc. etc. etc. When Mrs. Trak is sick, she likes nursing, that's fine, so I do the inquiries (or just make her a cup of tea).
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

No one, I live alone. Either I'm sick enough to need a hospital, or I can fetch my own soup and nuke it in the microwave.
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

I have a raging sinus infection right now, feel like I am dying and I am taking care of myself. Hubby is not quite the nurturing kind. He's sympathetic - to a point. But when he's sick the world is coming to an end. I woke up sick on Sat morning, got up, showed my dog in agility, came home, and still helped mow the lawn. Got up Sunday morning, showed the dog again, came home, helped in the garden. Had to get up and got to work Mon, Tues and today. Hubby did warm up dinner last night ( leftovers from Sunday), and he has offered to go on his own to a dinner we have been invited to tonight, but that's the extent of the nurturing.<sigh>

Me. I've come home from the hospital after 5 surgeries to an empty (except for the dogs) house and take care of myself, even when I'm on a walker. I always live alone and prefer to be alone.

My dog. She would cuddle with me and stay with me all day / night. Now that she's gone...no one will. DH comes in the bedroom at times to make sure that I am still breathing, as do the girls, but other than that, nothing. And it's fine. I tend to just want to sleep when I am THAT sick (as in, the flu and such). But it doesn't happen often, thankfully!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by Donkaloosa View Post
    Me. I've come home from the hospital after 5 surgeries to an empty (except for the dogs) house and take care of myself, even when I'm on a walker. I always live alone and prefer to be alone.
    I've done the same thing. Fortunately I did plan ahead of my surgeries to make sure I had enough easy food to cook and other things to make any recovery easy, like having mail sent to a neighbor when I had the foot surgery. They brought it over once/wk. I also prefer the company of my animals over people on a daily basis. I can enjoy being around some friends but sure don't want to see them daily.

I'm 68 now and dread the thought of some day HAVING to sell the farm and HAVING to move to a senior facility with people living so close. I love my privacy too much and am too much of a loner by nature.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

My DD and DH are good about asking what I need and getting it but they leave me alone after that, which is fine with me. DH rarely gets sick enough to stay in bed and when that happens he just wants to be left alone. He will not moan or whine.

We make sure there are Kleenex boxes and/or pails handy and then go about our business. Our cat is the company keeper. She is allowed to stay.

My BF takes direction pretty well but, like many other SOs on this thread, he is not really wired to leap into nurturing mode unprompted. He is sympathetic and if I have the wherewithal to request tea/Gatorade/soup/the remote/over the counter meds he will happily deliver but he pretty much waits for me to deploy him and would otherwise leave for work in the AM without so much as setting a glass of water by my sickbed.

When roles are reversed, however, I immediately head to the grocery store to buy a whole chicken so I can make my tried-and-true avgolemono that I swear it has antiviral properties...

Moms are the gold standard, though, right? I still want my mommy every time I come down with so much as a cold.

No one! just me!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I had to call my son to haul me to the ER when I fell in the barn. Mr P waas out of town on business and offered to come home.
    Mr P was great when I broke my ankle getting me in and out of the shower each day. He would help me into the shower and go let the dogs out etc. Sometimes I took long showers.

It's funny though. I had a rather messy hysterectomy one Thursday. We knew it was going to be difficult ahead of time, just didn't know how bad. I was discharged on Sunday and bright and early Monday morning he was off to Singapore. Luckily our son was living at home.

OTOH he is a PITA when he is sick. OMG the drama over his Lovenox injections when he had a hip replacement. I showed him the needles I use for Sophie's pentosan and his eyes bulged! And she doesn't flinch!
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

My Mama I'll be sad when she's not around anymore, so I let her
    Quarry Rat

Just me. And, on top of being sick, I get my 13 year old son asking what's for dinner

Luckily my parents still live near me and my mom is a freaking saint.

I've had quite a few health problems in the last few years and my dad is usually the one who does the ER visit with me, while mom does the post-op care. They are seriously some of the best people ever!

It goes both ways though. My mom had major surgery and I spent every second of my free time in her hospital room or taking care of her at home. At one point when she was home recovering from surgery my dad got injured and I was going crazy taking him to appointments, taking care of mom, and doing all the domestic things as well. (I hope to never have to wash my dad's underwear ever again!!)

I know that I am very lucky to have them around.

(Oh, and I do have a brother, but he is useless as a care giver or anything of a serious nature. He lives 4 hours away - he did send flowers though )

msj --- same thing --- I always prepare the house as well as possible before my (usually planned) surgeries, stocking up on food for me, dog food, etc. I really can't imagine what it would be like to have someone around me all the time since I'm just not used to it, although I admit that every so often I wished there was someone who could bring me a glass of ice water! (Dogs aren't that well trained!)