The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Favorite summer cocktails/ mock tails.

I am getting Spring fever and it's supposed to hit 80 this weekend. Looking for some fun summer cocktail recipes!

1 members found this post helpful.

Fill a glass with ice and throw in a few lime wedges. Pour in an ounce to an ounce and a half of vodka, fill up with soda water, and splash a little cranbery juice for color, and a straw. NOM

Freeze halved (cut in half) grapes and pom seeds, put in glass with ice. Fill with ounce of vodka, ounce of peach schnapps, and fill it up with 7 up.

Short glass, ice it full, pour in an ounce whiskey, ounce Apple Pucker, and enough cranberry for a deep red color. Wa State Apple!

Put in blender a cup of ice, two fresh mangos, 2 ounces Cuervo, squeeze half a lime, a little orange flavor (triple sec, Grand Marnier) and blend!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Shandys- Beer + Lemonade

A little bit of Absolut Citron and Chambord mixed with Country Time lemonade makes the perfect pink lemonade (with a little bit of a kick!). It's refreshing, yummy, and great for summer.
    Topline Leather -- Unique woven crystal & gemstone browbands

Topline Leather's Etsy Shop

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

peach schnapps and lemonade!

Also the Ocean Spray Cran-lemonade and vodka!
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Vodka, lime and soda.

Nip of vodka, a good squeeze of lime from a fresh lime and topped with soda. So refreshing.

And my favourite Long Island Ice Tea.
    A nip each of
    vodka
    Tequila
    White rum
    Gin
    Cointreau
    Sugar syrup (Just sugar and water mixed together over low heat until the sugar dissolves)
    A splash of lime or lemon juice
    Cola to taste

Don't drink too much of it!

Pimms, all the way!!

Cuervo Watermelon Margarita!

Delicious.
    The Struggle - - a blog about the equestrian struggle.

Lemonade and firefly sweet tea vodka. It's a boozy Arnold Palmer
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

3 members found this post helpful.

My favorite summer drink is a Pain Killer. I haven't found a bar that has the stuff to make it yet but it is easy to make at home. Dark rum, pineapple juice, orange juice, cream of coconut and some freshly grated nutmeg on top. Here is a recipe:

http://liquor.com/recipes/painkiller/

I've also made it with Malibu when I did not have cream of coconut on hand but it is better with the cream of coconut. You can find it in the grocery store in the mixers section. I like the coco real brand one.
    To understand via the heart is not to understand.

I've fallen for vodka tonics this spring. The key is really good tonic, and I have a new favorite called Q brand tonic water which I found at a health food store. I liked it so much I bought all six bottles they had in stock and thanks for reminding me to go look online for more.
    Add a juicy lime, and a tall glass full of ice and it's refreshing without being sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipkin View Post
    Pimms, all the way!!
    My new favourite! I always read about it in Dick Francis and Jilly Cooper books but finally tried it last year for the first time...YUM!

Also, sweet tea vodka + lemonade is very summery.
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    Fill a glass with ice and throw in a few lime wedges. Pour in an ounce to an ounce and a half of vodka, fill up with soda water, and splash a little cranbery juice for color, and a straw. NOM!
    Hah I had this last night! My friend was drinking cosmos and I wanted something fizzy so I just had the bartender make me a Cosmo with soda water. Only problem is they go down REAL easy

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    I've fallen for vodka tonics this spring. The key is really good tonic, and I have a new favorite called Q brand tonic water which I found at a health food store. I liked it so much I bought all six bottles they had in stock and thanks for reminding me to go look online for more.
    Add a juicy lime, and a tall glass full of ice and it's refreshing without being sweet.
    Try Fever Tree tonic! Not too sweet be used it used agave.

I still love Moscow mules. Vodka, ginger beer and lime. So refreshing!

Sangria is also great if you have cheap wine sitting around.

Also, when I'm not up to a cocktail I drink a wine spritzer. I know, very 1990's but it really hits the spot when it's hot.

I discovered last summer that Gin and Tonics with cucumber are delicious and refreshing. Highly recommend.

Try "Simply Fresh" brand Raspberry Lemonade ( in the orange juice section at most grocery stores). Add some white wine - yummy. I do about 1/2 to 1/2.

And, having it "plain" dressed up with some rasberries or sliced strawberries and/or wedges of lemon = nice for mocktail too!

Mojito all the way!!

Also, easy peasy is a madras... vodka, oj, cran. Even without the vodka it's yummy!!
    Cran, club soda and vodka...
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Vodka, lemonade and sprite. Mixed to whatever strength you prefer
    ****Indecision may or may not be my problem****

Years ago, like in my 20's, a friend and I used to love Lime-flavored Vodka and Squirt. Haven't had it in years. Might just have to try it again. Course it will probably take the entire bottle of Vodka and a case of Squirt to figure out the right proportions!

Also, Mike's Hard Lemonade is very easy going down. Just wait till you're finished barn chores first. Made the mistake on a hot summer day of coming in at lunch time, grabbing a sandwich and a bottle of Mike's. The first bottle went down so fast I HAD to have another. I went out to sit on the deck and promptly fell sound asleep for a couple of hours. Guess I needed the rest!
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I'm a margarita girl, and have a pretty simple and tasty margarita recipe that is half way between on the rocks and frozen. It is a far cry from a "correct" margarita, but no one's complained yet!

Fill a pint glass 2/3 full with frozen limeaid concentrate, fill the rest with water. Dump in blender and add 3 shots of tequila and (I think) a shot of triple sec. Add some ice to taste, blend, but not too much. Drink. Yum. You can also add frozen strawberries...strawberry margaritas!

I like a mojito type drink. I use tonic, Malibu rum, oranges, limes and mint, and smush the fruit up with the mint at the bottom of my glass and then mix the other ingredients. It's light and fruity and it doesn't make me feel like I'm having this heavy drink.