The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Glass shower doors - clear or frosted?

I'm redoing the bathroom and tearing out the tub and making it a walk-in shower with bench. I've already decided on the tile(matte, not shiny finish) but not sure about the door.

I'm leaning heavily toward the frosted simply because of water spots on clear glass. I've got hard well water and even with the new water softener, it's still will spot drinking glasses if not dried immediately. Also I use the Tilex Daily Shower so I don't have to spend hours cleaning the tile.

So, those of you on hard well water with softeners and either clear or frosted shower doors give me your experiences with cleaning and water spots and any other thoughts or information.

Thanks in advance.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

Frosted, for two reasons. Since we're under a tornado warning (again), if you use the bathroom as the interior room shelter, a clear door is a bad idea if anyone is showering during an alert (a friend's concrete safe room is the big bathroom with the clear shower doors, and this caused a problem a couple of times). The major reason is that even if you use a squeegee, then some water spots or minerals might still be on the glass, and frosted takes care of a lot of that.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

1 members found this post helpful.

JanM, Thanks. This is kind of what I thought. Not about the tornado warning bit but the water spots.

As for the tornado warning, I just sent my brother in Huntsville an email to check in with me for the next couple of days. I hope all of you are NOT affected. Please know you all are in my thoughts.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

A friend remodeled and put a clear shower surround.
    The builder mentioned frosted may be better, but she wanted to be able to see the pretty tile work every time she went in the bathroom.

Now wishes she had put something more discrete there, as it is not really a good way to use a bathroom that others want to use at times, that when her DH opens the door she is exposed in there.
    She also said it is hard to keep spots off it and, once using the bathroom, now she wishes she had done what the builder suggested.

If you care to be a little less exposed and be easier to keep it looking clean, maybe you also want to use other than all clear glass?

I love the look of clear shower doors, it is architectural, clean and crisp. However, I have frosted - because there is not time in my day, nor desire to constantly clean the glass, nor make sure my shampoo is lined up with my conditioner and the wash cloth is folded. Some things are not meant to be seen daily.

I love the look of the clear but frosted slightly easier to take care of.

That said, I just moved to a house without either, just shower curtains. First time in my adult life. I love it! Much easier to keep clean, and easy to change out when I want a new look or a just a fresh set.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jr View Post

That said, I just moved to a house without either, just shower curtains. First time in my adult life. I love it! Much easier to keep clean, and easy to change out when I want a new look or a just a fresh set.
    That.
    Mine is also just a curtain and so it can be left open to show the shower tile, or closed when used.
    Curtains are the same color of the tile and don't really show at all.

I considered glass, the house being handicapped accessible, open shower with curtains were standard for that.
    That is one more consideration, to have showers as accessible as possible.
    You can do that with glass also, but curtains are truly easier for that.

2 members found this post helpful.

I prefer the look of clear personally

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    Frosted, for two reasons. Since we're under a tornado warning (again), if you use the bathroom as the interior room shelter, a clear door is a bad idea if anyone is showering during an alert (a friend's concrete safe room is the big bathroom with the clear shower doors, and this caused a problem a couple of times). The major reason is that even if you use a squeegee, then some water spots or minerals might still be on the glass, and frosted takes care of a lot of that.
    I did frosted when I redid my bathroom, even though I live alone. Mostly because of the cleaning thing.
    But I do have to say it was ingrained in me from a very young age to never shower during a thunderstorm due to the risk of lightning coming through the pipes if the house were to be struck. I still have that fear, and it didn't help when the Mythbusters confirmed that myth and Buster got zapped in the shower!

I don't know what your layout is like, but I have a walk-in bench type shower with the pretty, pretty tile, and I have no glass at all. The shower is a rectangle with the sitting bench at one end and the showerhead at the other, and decently wide.There is a raised "curb" kind of, to keep the water in. I have a lovely coordinated shower curtain, and have never had any issues with water spilling out.
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

I got the doors that are smooth on the inside and look like water is running on them on the outside.. not a fan of frosted but wanted privacy and to hide the deposits from our well water.
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

We have a frosted glass door in the master bathroom shower now. I am thisclose to ripping it out -- if the shower were bigger it would be gone already. The glass isn't hard to clean, but all the crevices and seals around it are mold magnets. I see you are not in the humid SE, so maybe that's not such an issue for you.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

I love the look of clear but at DH and my ages (and physical shape), frosted is preferred.
    "My treasures do not chink or gleam, they glitter in the sun and neigh at night."
    ~Gypsy saying

Quote Originally Posted by jr View Post

jr, I'll send you the zillion shower curtains I've collected over the years. I think I still have the matching bath mats and runners to go with most as well!
    Sue

I've had both. I prefer strongly the clear for aesthetic purposes but prefer the frosted as between cleanings there aren't spots.

But still I prefer the clear when given a choice.

I really like glass block - especially if the surround doesn't have to be entirely enclosed...
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

i have clear, and it's streaked and spotted within about three showers after i clean it. go for the frosted. it will still be streaked and spotted, just not as obvious.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

I just put in the clear in December and I love it. I don't worry about what my bod looks like in the shower because anyone who would come in has seem me naked daily for almost 20 years.

I am not a particularly fastidious house cleaner but I do like that glass clean. I use a daily shower spray then a squeegee every couple days after I shower. It doesn't take much effort at all and my small bath feels so much more spacious.

I like seeing the pretty new tile, too!
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

We are doing the same in our bathroom remodel and going with a textured glass because seeing spots would drive me batty. I will put all the pretty tile work outside the shower so I can see it all the time! Check with your manufacturer to see what textures besides frosted are available; some have quite a few options.

We have clear glass, which I think is prettier. We squeegee every time we shower. In my dream house, I would have a slightly larger shower with no door and no curtain and a Universal Design walk-in entry, the kind without a lip which looks like it is just a continuation of the floor, but actually has a slight slope to keep the water in the shower. Oops! Getting off topic.

I would pick clear. The privacy issue doesn't bother me either, but if you are a modest person, the clear glass would be more of an issue if you have the style of walk-in bathroom without a door. That style is popular here, with the privacy door on the toilet room and the rest of the bathroom open. The privacy thing is also more of an issue if you have only one bathroom in your house so that your family need to come in when you are showering.
    "Random capitAlization really Makes my day." -- AndNirina

FROSTED.