The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I agree Alagirl. I used to look forward to OT day. Then it was OT weekend and OT week. I think some of the nastiness bleeds over into the other forums.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

7 members found this post helpful.

If you don't like it...don't click on it.
    Why is it so hard for some, to take personal responsibility for what they view?

40 members found this post helpful.

I am a fanof the OT thread. I can't imagine it being closed. This is a fascinating group of people and it's been a joy for me to get to know you better. I have learned a lot (for instance I never open a thread which is going to upset me. Life is too short). For me the most intense spiritual learning experience was when I opened a thread back in the winter called something like "I'm a Christian and I'll answer questions about the Bible, with God's help." This thread was opened more than 16,000 times. As a Baptist, the lessons I learned about presenting the story of the Gospel (Good news) of Christ were invaluable. Somehow all of us, believers, unbelievers, and agnostics came together in friendship without bitterness or spite in the end. It was beautiful to witness. The results of this friendly acceptance of each others' religious beliefs or lack thereof were perfectly illustrated in a thread a few weeks later about "What is the grace of God?"

I was out of town and only came back after the thread was finished. It was a thing of beauty. Five or six posters posted their lovely spiritual explanations of the grace of God and not one single naysayer intervened.
    The thread itself became a perfect illustration of the grace of God, beautiful and intact. I'll never forget this and I give thanks to God for it, and thanks to all of you for your grace to me and the believers who posted.

Moderators: please keep this Off Topic Forum open.

27 members found this post helpful.

I am intensely grateful for the overwhelming support I received recently, and deeply appreciate the opportunity to repay such kindnesses with my time as well. I would hate to see the forum closed.

24 members found this post helpful.

If you don't like it, don't read it. It's not like the other forums are closed - you don't need to open off topic at all if you don't want to.

25 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty M View Post
    I am a fanof the OT thread. I can't imagine it being closed. This is a fascinating group of people and it's been a joy for me to get to know you better. I have learned a lot (for instance I never open a thread which is going to upset me. Life is too short). For me the most intense spiritual learning experience was when I opened a thread back in the winter called something like "I'm a Christian and I'll answer questions about the Bible, with God's help." This thread was opened more than 16,000 times. As a Baptist, the lessons I learned about presenting the story of the Gospel (Good news) of Christ were invaluable. Somehow all of us, believers, unbelievers, and agnostics came together in friendship without bitterness or spite in the end. It was beautiful to witness. The results of this friendly acceptance of each others' religious beliefs or lack thereof were perfectly illustrated in a thread a few weeks later about "What is the grace of God?"

I was out of town and only came back after the thread was finished. It was a thing of beauty. Five or six posters posted their lovely spiritual explanations of the grace of God and not one single naysayer intervened.
    The thread itself became a perfect illustration of the grace of God, beautiful and intact. I'll never forget this and I give thanks to God for it, and thanks to all of you for your grace to me and the believers who posted.

Moderators: please keep this Off Topic Forum open.
    That was so nice to hear, that such touchy topic was discussed and some could come out of it with more knowledge and ideas and not resenting that it is a touchy topic with many sides.
    I hope all of us learned more also.
    Thanks for the report.

8 members found this post helpful.

I haven't been to UDBB in yrs and don't even know if it exists anymore
    yes it is still going, under new management

expanded rooms to visit.

I like the OT forum. I also visit other forums, imagine that, other places to see and do.

I don't visit all of them

fancy that

freedom of choice plenty of room for all
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Can we please now close OT day....give us a time to forget why we want to put certain people on the ignore list and concentrate - again - on the reason for this wonderful forum to exist: Horses

Pretty Please?

It seems to me the OT venue has taken a turn for the ridiculous, mindless and rather inflammatory 4 word games, extreme political polarization....

I think we need a break, chance to take a deep breath and simmer back to normal.
    You are the one who chooses to open these threads you complain about. A simple fix would be to not open them.

Just pretend the OT forum doesn't exist.
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

29 members found this post helpful.

Can we please now close OT day....give us a time to forget why we want to put certain people on the ignore list and concentrate - again - on the reason for this wonderful forum to exist: Horses

Pretty Please?

It seems to me the OT venue has taken a turn for the ridiculous, mindless and rather inflammatory 4 word games, extreme political polarization....

I think we need a break, chance to take a deep breath and simmer back to normal.
    I enjoy 24/7 OT. FWIW, a majority of name-calling and insulting vitriol originates from a certain group of members who seem to believe a difference of opinion gives them the right to do so. I have them on ignore and enjoy discussions with other participants.
    And, as several others have pointed out, if you don't like what you read in a thread, go elsewhere. Personal choice/responsibility and all that...
    It's only when a mosquito lands on your privates that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence. fb meme.

18 members found this post helpful.

I love having the OT forum open all the time. There are some really interesting subjects discussed here. Political subjects are in the minority and it is pretty easy to tell which are political, so they are easily avoided if someone doesn't want to read them. And anybody that thinks this forum has hate and vitriol.... it is nothing compared to the Political Forum on the UDBB (which is on temporary hiatus).

9 members found this post helpful.

I like OT Day! What if I need sudden input about things like curtains, annoying idiot receptionists, etc??
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

14 members found this post helpful.

I don't think the patented off hand approach in moderating works for heavy political threads.

It might generate hits in the short term, but long term moderate people get turned of and go away.

And frankly, the reaction of some on this thread is telling.

OT is better when it's a rare treat.
    Better topics, better behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

3 members found this post helpful.

I don't think the patented off hand approach in moderating works for heavy political threads.

It might generate hits in the short term, but long term moderate people get turned of and go away.

Just wait a bit and more will chime in to balance those against with those for.
    It is the way forums work, there is a bit of everything for everyone.
    The trick is to be sure most have their say, although there will be someone grumbling and not happy, no matter what action is taken.

2 members found this post helpful.

Might it help if you could describe what it is that you miss about the OT days of the past, then compare that to what you find upsetting about the OT forum now?

2 members found this post helpful.

i really enjoy the entire forum. Horse sections and OT. please let it stay.

17 members found this post helpful.

I just don't click on the ones I don't want to read. Just like I don't go to the eventing section, western, dressage, etc, because I don't find any interest in them.

People will behave poorly regardless of if OT is open or not.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alterhorse View Post
    Might it help if you could describe what it is that you miss about the OT days of the past, then compare that to what you find upsetting about the OT forum now?
    The stupid took over. The willful ignorance.
    The lighthearted humor went bye bye a long time ago.

Say something in 4 words....designed to goad and polarize....not a fun forum game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

1 members found this post helpful.

Alagirl, considering the volume of snark you feel compelled to shovel on each and every thread, political and otherwise, is the combat fatigue getting to you? Perhaps you need a little fresh air . . .

Put me down as one who enjoys reading daily what my peers are thinking about the world beyond horses. It gives me a lot more hope than the newspapers that there is still intelligent life in the universe!

48 members found this post helpful.

The stupid took over. The willful ignorance.
    The lighthearted humor went bye bye a long time ago.

Say something in 4 words....designed to goad and polarize....not a fun forum game.
    That is just two questionable threads out of hundreds that maybe are ok?
    Not much to complain then, is there.

I looked at them at first, could not think of anything that would not sound touchy to someone or would be taken wrong, so let it be and moved on.

Try that.

11 members found this post helpful.

That "Dick, you shot him" thing was the funniest I have red in a while
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

23 members found this post helpful.