The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

I really like the long term OT forum. I try to stay away from threads that I know will bother me (although I admit I can get fired up at times), and I don't think that the OT forum has changed all that much from when it wad only one day. There may be bleed over in the other forums, but I'm rarely on them so I haven't seen any.

FWIW, I consider myself left-leaning and didn't find anything offensive in the 4 words thread, I found it pretty amusing.

11 members found this post helpful.

I like the OT forum. I read a lot, don't post much and like others, move on. I also like other forums. It's good for my self control to be tested sometimes.

5 members found this post helpful.

Please don't close it now. I just bought a LOT of popcorn on sale!

One good thing about this thread....look at all the bipartisan support to keep it open!

And I agree with so many others. If you don't like it, don't come here. It's pretty funny that just because you don't like it and seem unable to not be able to stay away from it that it should be closed. Really?

14 members found this post helpful.

I disagree. Frequently OT day was held over a holiday or other long weekend, and for those who had plans or travel, it was difficult to participate. I very much appreciate the wide variety of opinions and experiences on COTH, and more so appreciate having access to those opinions every day.

For example, when searching for a new mattress, I know that the COTH opinions will be coming from someone who participates in at least one activity that I do. So of course, those people use the same muscles, exert the same energy, get the same injuries, and appreciate (I imagine) the same comfort level. Going on a mattress forum or on Facebook may garner reviews from people who work a desk job for eight hours, commute by train for two hours, then sit on the couch for two hours, and go to bed = different expectations of a mattress.

I am capable of searching mattress, and avoiding political forms. Asking the OT form as a whole to be shut down because of a few people's opinions is ridiculous.
    "Let's face it -- Beezie Madden is NOT looking over her shoulder for me anytime
    soon . . . or ever, even in her worst nightmares."

Member, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous

21 members found this post helpful.

Close a whole subforum because one person is pathologically driven to open and post on every single thread, even the ones they don't like? Sorry, it's called self-control.

40 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sswor View Post
    Permanent OT on Coth is the best thing to happen to the internet.
    Wow, we agree on something!
    It's only when a mosquito lands on your privates that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence. fb meme.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Can we please now close OT day....give us a time to forget why we want to put certain people on the ignore list and concentrate - again - on the reason for this wonderful forum to exist: Horses

Pretty Please?

It seems to me the OT venue has taken a turn for the ridiculous, mindless and rather inflammatory 4 word games, extreme political polarization....

I think we need a break, chance to take a deep breath and simmer back to normal.
    How about these 4 words: Stop Being a Baby!

Really, "WE" need a break? Who is WE? That's how royalty speak. Are you royalty? Me either.

Don't be like this: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgrefu...LM&h=336&w=468
    "Living is easy with eyes closed. Misunderstanding all you see." from the gospel of John and Paul.

25 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MMorgan View Post
    How about these 4 words: Stop Being a Baby!

Really, "WE" need a break? Who is WE? That's how royalty speak. Are you royalty? Me either.

Don't be like this: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgrefu...LM&h=336&w=468
    It's only when a mosquito lands on your privates that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence. fb meme.

6 members found this post helpful.

I'm amazed that people can remember who's who. I couldn't tell you who is snarky and who isn't. Besides members who are ALWAYS nice (Zuzu, Chocomare, to name two that immediately come to mind), I don't particularly remember posters' personalities. If I did, I would think that either I spend too much time here (which I apparently do, since I somehow accidentally changed some setting that now keeps me logged on all the time) or that I have personalized this community way too much and am taking it too seriously as "real life."
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

9 members found this post helpful.

4 more words: Suck it up, buttercup.

In all seriousness, if something's bothering you that much, take a break, go away and think for a while, and come back when you feel like it. It's simple.
    "Living is easy with eyes closed. Misunderstanding all you see." from the gospel of John and Paul.

21 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    The stupid took over. The willful ignorance.
    The lighthearted humor went bye bye a long time ago.

Say something in 4 words....designed to goad and polarize....not a fun forum game.
    I havent opened those threads in the past few days but when they started i thought they were hilarious. Different strokes, different folks.

Almost didn't see this thread, ironically, as I don't typically check the OT forum unless alerted to an issue. See how that works?

Seriously though, the OT forum was made permanent because, off the top of my head:

- It seemed like it would be something that would be of interest to a significant portion of the community, if not a majority.
    - Most communities seem to offer them.
    - People asked for it.
    - We used to spend a significant amount of time putting the kibosh on non-horse-related topics that would be "snuck" into the regular forums and figured the net workload would be about the same (it's thus far resulted in the use of less moderation resources than the previous set-up.)
    - Traffic is typically a good thing for a website.
    - We could, and did, separate the OT and Menagerie threads from turning up in the "New Posts" or "Today's Posts" sections, so they didn't get up in people's faces unless they chose to open them.

Yes, we do try to intervene as little as possible on threads to let folks have the freedom to express themselves, etc., but by all means, send an alert if we should take a look at a thread. To my knowledge, for example, we received one general "heads up" on the "four word" threads, and I'll go take another look at them now to see if it's time to put them to bed.

We have not been inundated with alerts re: OT threads. That's not an invitation to start inundating us now as a form of protest. But if something is seriously out of line, please let us know.

Thanks!
    Mod 1

34 members found this post helpful.

Four word threads are wrapping up now anyway in terms of new submissions…

Further thought to add: We don't want to get too carried away with tons of sub-forums on the site that make things too fragmented, but have considered dividing up the OT forum a bit. It could be an option for a Political/Hot Topic (not the teeny bopper mall store) type forum to further sub-divide some of the more contentious things into an area where folks can "enter at their own risk"…not that it would be a total free-for-all, but you could check threads on mattress recommendations without scrolling past a ticker tape of Fox or CNN headlines.

The political threads, though perhaps some of the most opinionated, are in the minority. Lots of other random and interesting topics outnumbering them on any given page of the OT forum, it seems.

Thanks for you input, folks -- I'll check back later.
    Mod 1

15 members found this post helpful.

Dear Mods - You are just so, well, MODERATE, and for that I thank you.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

30 members found this post helpful.

Thanks, Mod 1.

Love you Alagirl, but disagree, too.

I think things have mellowed out a LOT in the most divisive topics because you can only go on so long and it just gets boring. Even the most looking for a fight people seem mellower to me. It's a a good thing.

And I just couldn't be OK if I had to wait until and OT day to discuss zombies for the week WHEN it comes back on!

And there are enough people on here you can trust with so much knowledge about everything, it's such a good place to get or give feedback not horse related.

4 members found this post helpful.

Mod 1: thanks for your good work and for chiming in here.

I am glad the Menagerie board exists but I, for one, enjoy the diversity of this OT board's topics. The topics come and go fast. Hey- there's one you don't like? You probably won't even see it in a day or two. Live and let live.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator 1 View Post
    Four word threads are wrapping up now anyway in terms of new submissions…

Further thought to add: We don't want to get too carried away with tons of sub-forums on the site that make things too fragmented, but have considered dividing up the OT forum a bit. It could be an option for a Political/Hot Topic (not the teeny bopper mall store) type forum to further sub-divide some of the more contentious things into an area where folks can "enter at their own risk"…not that it would be a total free-for-all, but you could check threads on mattress recommendations without scrolling past a ticker tape of Fox or CNN headlines.

The political threads, though perhaps some of the most opinionated, are in the minority. Lots of other random and interesting topics outnumbering them on any given page of the OT forum, it seems.

Thanks for you input, folks -- I'll check back later.
    Mod 1
    Sums it up! And in my opinion Threads can be passed on, Look at me, I have not even opened a political thread. And Years ago I used to give myself headaches with them. Lifes too short, Like I said OT seems to be working. there is something for everyone.
    Thank you mods!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by seabreeze View Post
    I'm amazed that people can remember who's who. I couldn't tell you who is snarky and who isn't. Besides members who are ALWAYS nice (Zuzu, Chocomare, to name two that immediately come to mind), I don't particularly remember posters' personalities. If I did, I would think that either I spend too much time here (which I apparently do, since I somehow accidentally changed some setting that now keeps me logged on all the time) or that I have personalized this community way too much and am taking it too seriously as "real life."
    I'm 100% with you on this seabreeze. I admit most of the time I don't look at who posts a comment unless it's extremely nasty or fantastic. Unfortunately then I usually forget them. I do have a few though that I do remember and some that I would love to meet, twelvegates and Misty Blue come to mind. I've only ever put one person on ignore when they got particularly pissy(in their own words too) in some PM's. Left them on ignore too as I considered the person no great loss.

I think what I dislike about any of the forums is how a seemingly innocuous or even funny topic can turn nasty and then it stays nasty, though I seem to see it more on Off Course and Off Topic than other forums. Usually when that happens, I just unsubscribe to the topic. I'm sure it goes on other forums that I don't visit but I prefer to stick to the Around the Farm forum and when I'm bored (say a rainy day)then Off Course and Off Topic.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Dear Mods - You are just so, well, MODERATE, and for that I thank you.
    I second that.

3 members found this post helpful.

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

I think the 'four words' threads are about to get an up tick in views. I think I only opened the libertarian one, but I am so sorry I missed 'Dick, you shot him.'!
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

2 members found this post helpful.