The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Dear MODs

Can we please now close OT day....give us a time to forget why we want to put certain people on the ignore list and concentrate - again - on the reason for this wonderful forum to exist: Horses

Pretty Please?

It seems to me the OT venue has taken a turn for the ridiculous, mindless and rather inflammatory 4 word games, extreme political polarization....

I think we need a break, chance to take a deep breath and simmer back to normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

24 members found this post helpful.

Or, turn off the computer and go outside.

102 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Can we please now close OT day....give us a time to forget why we want to put certain people on the ignore list and concentrate - again - on the reason for this wonderful forum to exist: Horses

Pretty Please?

It seems to me the OT venue has taken a turn for the ridiculous, mindless and rather inflammatory 4 word games, extreme political polarization....

I think we need a break, chance to take a deep breath and simmer back to normal.
    Thank you!!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

8 members found this post helpful.

Mods, I'll agree with Alagirl. I thought this was a bad idea from the get go. Please close and go back to special days.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post

Pretty Please?

You realize that "you can't un-ring a bell"?

People are who they are if you look closely, if they tell you who they are up front or not.
    Do not be surprised if you gave them a tentative pass when they only were showing you here and there who they really are and now you can't ignore it any longer, when it is right in front of you repeatedly.

Want to close OT?
    Want to keep it open?
    Either way, fine by me.

I play it the same every place, according to the written, unwritten and some personal rules.

4 members found this post helpful.

That's like saying "I am tired of westerns on TV". Don't like it? Don't watch it. Why should everyone bend a knee to YOUR desires simply because you don't have the willpower to not look at something you don't like? Duh...

107 members found this post helpful.

I like it. I simply ignore the threads I'm not interested in.

88 members found this post helpful.

I find lots of interest here. I do try very hard to remember to not open the political threads, however. I like being able to come to this forum if I have a question about something, anything. There are so many smart people here that you're bound to find someone who knows the answer to your question.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

24 members found this post helpful.

What happened? I think this forum is great, but I don't post much and mostly read.

If its too much for you then take a break!

If you are talking politics, I don't have an interest so I don't read anything there.

25 members found this post helpful.

From a business perspective, keeping an OT board open all the time is beneficial. Many more hits when people aren't restricted to horse only conversations.

Further, many of the conversations are quite lovely and helpful. I was surprised to find OT "open" like it is when I came back last week and have enjoyed it a lot. I've also connected with some fellow Cothers as a result in totally non-horsey ways where we can help each other.

You can always vote with your feet or rather your time. Don't read if it bothers you. I will never understand the idea that because a handful of people object, conversations should stop. I haven't even clicked on those silly 4 word posts. Whatever. But I HAVE clicked on links about people with their health or relationship issues and think that people are really being helped and connecting.

Why shut that down?

And again, as a business person, I would not want to shut down a board that was driving hits and financing things.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

35 members found this post helpful.

Why close OT because some people cannot turn it off ......

61 members found this post helpful.

I really have to agree with Bluey. It you really don't want that TMI that goes on in here you really don't have to click the link to read. I know I only come here a few times a week because of all the "extra" info so I'm sure if I ever felt I just couldn't handle it. ...... I could just not click the link.
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

14 members found this post helpful.

Complaining that OT is open will occur occasionally all along by those that for whatever reason have a problem with it.

I expect the Moderators and Administration are always weighing the pros and cons of any and all in the forums, including the value of an open or closed OT and like to hear any and all opinions.

Why not ask them directly?

2 members found this post helpful.

As an adult, it's your own darned responsibility not to open threads you don't like. For heaven's sake. Even if I can understand your sentiment, I hope nobody expects real life to work the way you have proposed, yikes!

73 members found this post helpful.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Isn't that like saying "Help me, I have no willpower!"?

Chronicle offers how many horse forums for you to choose from, yet you need them to close one to keep you focused on the horse ones, really?

That's kind of sad.

Just use your index finger to click away to another one. You can do it, I believe in you!

49 members found this post helpful.

I used to visit UDBB when I wanted a non horsey discussion. I will give Mark credit when he made a politics only forum. I haven't been to UDBB in yrs and don't even know if it exists anymore.

Perhaps, we need a similar politics only forum for the rabid political junkies on COTH so the rest of us don't have to open what seems like a 'safe' topic only to find it corrupted with the hate that is spewed so heavily by those with their own political agendas.

I admit when I do check COTH, the last forum I check is the Off Topic.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

5 members found this post helpful.

I will tell you marketing data wonk types that I open fewer OT day threads now and I have a less warm/fuzzy feeling toward the folks on COTH.

Please! I don't want to snoop in your political underwear drawer anymore. But you can't un-see what you have seen.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

17 members found this post helpful.

I don't see a problem with pol. posts if its clearly indicated in the title. A seperate forum of rabid pol people would be a LOT to police! So unless the topic over-ran all other topics (like fashion thread in HJ forum LOL) then I don't see an issue just because someone doesn't like it.

Don't talk pol, money, or religion and we should all get along great, save the few crazies.

4 members found this post helpful.

that's sort of like asking people to stop eating ice cream cuz you are on a diet.
    if you don't like the off topic forum just spend your time elsewhere so the folks who do enjoy can continue to do so.

49 members found this post helpful.

I say those decisions as keeping OT open or not are a faustian deal as a single purpose, COTH being about horses and mostly in certain disciplines.

A faustian deal because maybe to keep COTH thriving it takes making a devil's pact with the OT, not horsey forum.

You may keep people coming for the wide range of human experience a permanent OT provides, along with the horses that draws most here, or you can close it and restrict the interest to horses only and let people go to other places for the rest of their internet experience.

I would not guess what is best for COTH, that is competing with an ever widening wold of the internet and so other choices out there for people's interest and time.

I expect their numbers, however they choose to interpret them, will be part of how they make decisions.