The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Quote Originally Posted by Kate66
    des, if you can start her and place her she might be better with you. Do you have any idea how much it would cost to get any of these horses over to Houston, TX? Are there any groups like this in TX that I could monitor also that you know of.
    Kate, if you are in the mood to rescue and looking more locally to you, are you familiar with LOPE? http://www.lopetx.org/cwhatis.htm I have drooled over quite a few horses listed by them.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Hi Clint, yes, I've looked at LOPE before but always felt it was more of a sales board (with sales prices) than horses that were in imminent danger.

Default Don't forget this guy...

There's not many details on this youngish gelding but he is at risk. He reminds me very much of my old Prelim packer and looks like a good project.

http://cberheadqrters.proboards103.c...ead=1147803458

Not picking on LOPE because I find this at a lot of the TB boards. The prices are often pretty pricey (for what you are getting, unknown quantities with possible/probable soundness issues) and they will keep them at that price or lower them a TINY bit then suddenly some of them (not all I know) decide enough is enough and ship the horse to a kill auction for $500. If they had listed the horse at something between the body price and their $1,500 and up to $5,000 I've seen the horse would be sold long before!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

There are quite a few horse rescues in Texas. And many of them pull from kill auctions. Do a google search and I think you will be overwhelmed with the number to visit.

"The prices are often pretty pricey (for what you are getting, unknown quantities with possible/probable soundness issues)"

Excellent point. One I think can be said for many "rescues" as well.

Quote Originally Posted by summerhorse
    Not picking on LOPE because I find this at a lot of the TB boards. The prices are often pretty pricey (for what you are getting, unknown quantities with possible/probable soundness issues) and they will keep them at that price or lower them a TINY bit then suddenly some of them (not all I know) decide enough is enough and ship the horse to a kill auction for $500. If they had listed the horse at something between the body price and their $1,500 and up to $5,000 I've seen the horse would be sold long before!
    Believe me, summerhorse...this is something that drives all of the CANTER volunteers (and I'm sure the LOPE volunteers as well) crazy. We see it happen all the time, but the trainers, NOT CANTER/LOPE, are the ones who set the prices on every trainer-listed horse you see on the CANTER and LOPE web sites. And sometimes no amount of reasoning in the world will make a trainer lower the price on a horse...until that fateful day the trainer decides "to hell with it" and sends the horse off to the auction or with the dealer.

On the bright side, I think the longer programs like CANTER and LOPE are in existence, the more trainers - even the most hardheaded ones - are beginning to realize that if they're smart and realistic about selling a horse, they can find that horse a good home AND earn themselves money in the process.

The purchase of a rescue horse is a crapshoot. In my heart of hearts, I don't think that riding age horses get into rescues very often because they are saints. That said, I rescued a mare in Canada last fall that with every day is coming very close to being a dreamhorse.

Edited to add, this doesn't apply to OTTBs. I have purchased OTTBs from time to time, and they are special. Good thing neither CANTER or LOPE is near me.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

"Believe me, summerhorse...this is something that drives all of the CANTER volunteers (and I'm sure the LOPE volunteers as well) crazy. We see it happen all the time, but the trainers, NOT CANTER/LOPE, are the ones who set the prices on every trainer-listed horse you see on the CANTER and LOPE web sites. And sometimes no amount of reasoning in the world will make a trainer lower the price on a horse...until that fateful day the trainer decides "to hell with it" and sends the horse off to the auction or with the dealer. "

Yeah let me make it clear it is the trainers/owners who are at fault for this not the rescue organizations who have more realistic views of what the horse is worth and the importance of moving them on to permanent homes.

I have perused some rescue sites where the prices are, well ridiculous. AND they have 10,000 restrictions it seems. I mean if I am paying $3,000 for an iffy horse it is a SALE not a rescue, not an adoption and I'll live where ever the heck I please! 8-D But those are the minority. SOME of these rescues do actually put some riding and training into them and for those yes, I would expect to pay more because they can give you a better idea of what the horse is like, his physical issues, his mental issues, what kind of person he needs to be with, etc. And of course the higher the level of training the higher the price. but that's a little different than buying a horse off the net on looks and pity alone! =)

See I define "rescue" as I get an adoption contract... not a bill of sale.

The latter tells me I bought the horse and can do with it what I want, even if it means reselling it.

The former tells me the organization cares about the animal enough to commit to making sure it stays off the road to the auction/feedlot/whereever it was saved from, by ensuring that it goes to a quality home and either stays there, or goes to another, rescue approved, quality home.

Some rescues do this and some don't. Hopefully the people who adopt are good people but once a horse is out of your hands, well anything can happen.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by clint
    The purchase of a rescue horse is a crapshoot.
    This applies to ANY horse purchase in my eyes. I have seen the 50k horses end up unrideable to no fault of rider or horse. You just never know what could happen, but you can safely assume it can happen when you own a horse.

No offense Clint as I know you did not intend that to be negative at all.
    The Communication Alliance to Network Thoroughbred Ex-Racehorses (CANTER) provides retiring racehorses with opportunities for new careers after the finish line. http://www.canterusa.org/newengland/