The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

WHAT!?!?! Why in the hell does the owner want Julia sent to slaughter!?!?!
    Will get a dream horse!
    More riding, swimming, and rowing, less posting

I do not see Julia on the list - I need to see her to better understand why the owner want her to become meat.
    Will get a dream horse!

She might have a dangerous problem like flipping over for no reason or something else that isn't apparent.

I can't get the site to open for me, is any one else having trouble?

Default Divot

Is anyone else was having trouble registering for the message boards at the CBER site? I would very much like to donate to the group adoption effort for the horse, Divot, but am unable to post to the board to do so.

If anyone here can connect me directly with the "banker" for this horse's group adoption effort, my email is martino17 at verizon.net

Thank you.

Poor Julia- you may be able to see her for a bit at this link but maybe they will have to remove her pictures?
    http://cberheadqrters.proboards103.c...ead=1147027281

Tux I really hope someone can help. I'm a lurker but not registered on the boards or I'd ask for advice.
    In the swiftness of my darkness I whisper to thunder, I am patient as stone, as wild as lightening, the very symbol of surging potency and the power of movement for I am THE SPIRIT OF THE HORSE

Jewl and Dynasty homed I see- so some good news, still a lot looking...
    In the swiftness of my darkness I whisper to thunder, I am patient as stone, as wild as lightening, the very symbol of surging potency and the power of movement for I am THE SPIRIT OF THE HORSE

How sad for Julia, I wonder if those people actually are aware of what a horse goes through prior to becoming someone else's meal?
    But, there are still many horses how need caring people to adopt them on the feedlot right now! Can someone please take a look and possibly help them out? The truck is possibly coming on Thursday, the day after tomorrow folks...

Unhappy

MOre more more new horses...

Unbelievable as it sounds there are many people who want their horses sent to slaughter and not adopted out (or sold). I can only imagine these people are ignorant of the process or just plain evil and selfish.

Julia had an enlarged leg from an old injury but rode sound on it (it just looked unsightly) and was otherwise seemingly a decent riding sort. She was a pretty red dun.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Is CBER becoming a magnet place for people wanting to dump horses where they know that we'd come out to rescue them? Just wondering. It hurts so much to see those horses in the feedlot!
    Will get a dream horse!

Default So many in need of help . . .

Just bumping this up since there are many group adoptions efforts underway. . .check out the CBER Message boards, http://cberheadqrters.proboards103.c...x.cgi?board=ad this has pages for each of the horses needing help to get off the feedlot.

Remember, just a little $ from a lot of people makes all the difference!

Divot still needs $540 to bail him (as of May 9 @ 9:04 PM eastern). He does not have a banker yet, but he does have an offer of board and training.
    Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen M
    Matisse will be coming home with in the next few months...she is at a super farm in Washington right now, in quarantine for the next 3 weeks or so, then will be boarded at the same farm until I secure her ride. I can tell you that the more horses that come east, the cheaper the shipping.

Interim board is very reasonable !!

Don't be afraid to look !!!
    I'm very interested in Shadow and you're right, that pasture board is definitely swingable. What are you looking at for transport fees if you don't mind me asking. On a different thread, the $1300-1400 range was mentioned. If we can hammer that price down a bit, this may be workable. I'd be transporting to upstate NY, but could meet at a common pick up point and trailer her the rest of the way home.

I just can't commit unless I know for a fact I can swing it all.
    **Member of the Modified Riders Clique and the "End TWH Big Lick Abuse" Clique**

Quote Originally Posted by catknsn
    Pony hunter people - LOOK AT RITA!

Quiet, 14.0 hh liver chestnut with unusual-shaped facial white. They have video posted of her being ridden.

http://cberheadqrters.proboards103.c...ead=1146791421
    Quoting myself here...but I wanted to add that if someone in California adopts Rita, I have offered free training and so has somone in the central part of the state who is very good with babies. So paying her board/care only will also get you full training on her, if you are in one of those areas and have a daughter wishing for a large pony.

Can you tell I like this little mare?

http://cberheadqrters.proboards103.c...7064003&page=1

There's still a piccie of Julia here. You may be able to make out a thickened area at the front of one of her hindlegs- far side from camera.

Lonewolf, are you registered on the forums for CBER? If you are willing to talk over options, people may chip in all sorts to help you get her out of that place. I would go there and enter her thread to see what you and the others can work out.
    Shadow has a thread here, http://cberheadqrters.proboards103.c...ead=1146792961
    and I think there's one in the team adoption section too. Obviously there's liasing with the official folks! Don't be shy, people just want her safe.

Unhappy

SAVE TWO FOR THE PRICE OF ONE HORSES....

I would love to get my hands on the people who dumped these PREGNANT MARES here.

http://cberheadqrters.proboards103.c...ead=1147210019 -Bianca, she's HUGE

http://cberheadqrters.proboards103.c...ead=1147210066 - Veronica, Roan

http://cberheadqrters.proboards103.c...ead=1147210142 -Golddust, Palomino paint

And one possibly pregnant
    http://cberheadqrters.proboards103.c...ead=1147209662

I can't believe they've been ditched here at this time.

Appaloosa gelding here, very handsome
    http://cberheadqrters.proboards103.c...ead=1147209607

The expected truck is on my birthday.. I hope I don't see that they've lost some, but there's so many, and they just keep coming, how can they not?

Default Illegal to ship mares close to foaling to slaughter

In 1996, Congress passed the Safe Commercial Transport of Horses to Slaughter Act. "This gave the USDA authority to develop and implement regulations as funding became available," Dr. Reece said. A federal regulation has now been proposed, possibly to be adopted in spring 2000.

The regulation will address accountability from the point of purchase to the point of slaughter;
    inspection on arrival at the slaughter plant;
    ability to investigate, charge, and prosecute violators;
    a five-year phase-out of double-deck trailers (originally designed to haul cattle);
    segregation of stallions and aggressive horses;
    and a ban on shipping mares that are close to foaling.

http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/feb00/s020100a.asp

It seems like there are a lot of great horses there. I'd love to help but.... that's a LONG way to ship a horse, sight unseen. ANd most of my donation money goes to local rescue groups, since there's so little funding for them in rural areas like this.

Hi Angela Freda, obviously I'm from overseas so not really up to speed with your slaughter regs over there- does this mean it's illegal to ship these mares NOW, or that it will be soon? Could the feedlot owner get around that by just holding them until they give birth and shipping off mum and baby?

Declaring,
    This is a regulation, among others that largely goes ignored.
    Horses that are lame (ie can not stand on all 4 legs) and those that are blind are also illegal to ship to slaughter, as well as those under 6 months of age.

Unfortunately the lawmakers here have left the regulations open to interpretation, and the final decision of when a mare is due to foal is left to the very person desiring to ship her to slaughter (as are the other items- lameness, age and blindness), the owner/lot owner.

The dealer of these horses (he is not licensed by the state of WA or nationally to ship horses to slaughter, only to buy/sell) could wait 'til she foals and take her away from the foal, or ship her now stating that she is far enough from foaling to make the trip. The danger then lies in the idea that the stress of shipping in a cramped truck with other horses, or milling around a cramped pen at the actual feedlot could cause her to foal, putting the foal at risk

I question why this dealer is allowed, by those witnessing the horses on the lot, to send/threaten to send those that are indeed illegal to ship. Seems to me they could/should have some leverage (ie Animal Control, etc and the threat of turning him in for shipping illegally) to convince him to wait on these horses and give them more of a chance to be "adopted".
    The last bit is JMHO btw.