The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'm retired and make every effort possible to NOT go to the grocery store after 3 PM weekdays when the working moms and dads are stopping to quick pick up a few things on the way home from work. If I do need something on Saturday or Sunday, I go in the evening, after 7 PM when the stores are empty. I know how hard it is for those working moms and dads to hit the store after work on weekdays and weekend mornings are always a zoo.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

3 members found this post helpful.

we too make sure to avoid busy times as much as possible, and encourage people with one or three items to go first when we have larger orders all the time.
    I sometimes get frustrated at how cashiers hand back change and receipt in one hand, but I guess that's another thread, lol.

I go to the store almost daily now. I'll admit it, i've fallen off my menu planning weekly schedule.

My neighborhood store has awesome managers and staff. They're all pretty terrific.

What really gets me though are the people who shove their cart all up in your space while you're trying to check out. I've actually had to lean over someone else's cart just to pay for/sign for my groceries. It's so odd.

I think it's cultural because it seems to be the same kind of folks every time. It's like once they're in line they OWN it.

Usually, I am helping bag my own stuff so I'm down at the end but when I go back to sign I have to quite literally lean over a cart. WTH is that?

Flip side, most people are really nice. I was in line behind a lady today who didn't have the exact change and I'm talking 3 pennies were holding up the line. I dug out some pennies from my coin purse. She acted like I'd hung the moon or something. It was three cents! No big deal. I really like my neighborhood store.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

1 members found this post helpful.

OH.MY.GAWD. Buddyroo! I detest that! I am a super freak about space anyway and can feel when someone is too close or getting ready to be too close. I think it's from dealing with horses I have turned around and asked people to back up their carts. I have physically blocked people from pushing ahead towards me by placing my foot on their cart, like outstretched leg and blocked! I have suddenly stepped backward to land on someones foot! I have said "You're too close, back it up" to creepers when I am paying.

UGH!!!!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

4 members found this post helpful.

twotru I now do that too. I just smile and sweetly inform the person that i need more space, giving them no opportunity to argue with me.
    though when my foot gets run into I'm more likely to bark and then feel bad about it.
    wow, am just realizing how much I have changed in the past couple of years, this is pretty new behavior for me!

I need to work on the smiling sweetly part
    The Knotted Pony

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    I need to work on the smiling sweetly part

think of it as baring your teeth if it helps!!!

3 members found this post helpful.

The Knotted Pony

I wear a red ribbon in my ponytail. Does not help. LOL

Seriously though, I love all my grocery store obliviots. It gives me blog fodder. http://forums.horsecity.com/index.php?app=blog&blogid=4&showentry=14

This was from a few years ago but hey...it fits.

Okay...so in preparation for a lovely dinner tonight and a fun day out with friends tomorrow, I had to go to the grocery store. The BIG grocery store. Normally, if I can help it I avoid such places. (Ask me the last time I went into a WalMart and you'll be greeted with a blank stare) I like to go to the little ma & pop store out by the barn. I pay high prices for the convenience of 1) being able to cover the entire square footage in 5 min or less, 2) knowing no one will call the ASPCA on me because I left the dog in the car for 5 min 3) You can buy veal AND venison 4) I don't have to deal with obliviots. There just simply aren't enough PEOPLE there that you are forced to breathe the same air or share the same 4X4 patch of ground with them.

Not so at the BIG store. I figure that the BIG stores are a pretty representative slice of humanity. I mean...everyone has to eat, right?

I found myself at the BIG store today.

I would like to address some of the biggest annoyances that I have.

1) Exit vs Entrance Obliviots. Look, I know that that extra 20 steps you might have to walk to use the proper Entrance/Exit might seem like an inconvenience for you. But it's an inconvenience for ME, the person with the very pregnant shopping cart on a downhill slope using the correct exit, to stop the force of gravity, back up into the traffic of baggers and OTHER very pregnant one-way cart traffic to pause whilst you, lazy jerk shopper, plow through going the WRONG WAY.

I realize that we all make mistakes. Surely I am not the only one who, in the course of visiting a new town, has sheepishly had to turn around after entering a one way street the wrong way. I'll give folks a pass for that. But this is the GROCERY STORE. Not exactly as confusing as navigating the Champs Elysees.

2) Those stupid mini-me carts! Seriously. If I get rammed in the back of the knees one more time in line by your kid with the mini-me cart? What is that all about? Great! I love that kids can participate in the household duty of grocery shopping. But you're giving them the opportunity to use the equivalent of a night-stick to the back of the knee here. I realize you probably didn't WANT to bring your kids today and you are probably wishing that the fleas of a thousand camels infest your husband who's back home watching SportsCenter while you try to corral 3 kids under the age of 7 AND pick a nice ripe, but not too ripe tomato and all...but I didn't marry the jerk. You did. So please.....I am a horsewoman. When things...horses, adults, small children get in MY SPACE, I tend to use force. I will kick. I will make them think they are going to die for 3 seconds and then return to my normal sweet self. You have been warned. I am wearing a red ribbon in my pony tail.

3) Lazy Cart Obliviots. Is it REALLY that taxing to walk your cart back to the appropriate cart collection thingy? Really? I mean, if you're in a wheelchair and out shopping? I'm not going to say a thing. I will return it FOR you. I promise. But for you jerkwad 30 something lazy people with fully functioning appendages? Stop it already!

Unload your stuff, walk the cart back to the holder thingy and then, rather than shoving it in any which way, make some ATTEMPT to line it up with the other carts. The kids making minimum wage do NOT, contrary to your apparent thought, enjoy schlepping all over the parking lot to retrieve carts. They don't. They don't get paid extra for that. They're not there to clean up after your lazy butt.

Because I have a really big mouth AND a really big dog, I usually say something about this when I see it. My best experience ever was last year I think. I was at the same BIG store and these two women unloaded their cart, slammed the trunk, gave the cart a push into the next parking spot and started getting in the car. I started running over and said, "Oh! Oh! I'll get that for you! I know it's REALLY hard to walk it over to the cart thingy TWO PARKING SPOTS AWAY! Let me get that for you!" Big smile on my face and all.

Well, that ticked them off, so as I was walking to my car (my back to them) I heard my dog start in with the low growl. Up until that time, he'd been lying placidly in the back seat eating a peanut butter bone. But apparently, he sensed a problem. And yeah, they could've kicked my butt. But as they started approaching, he started growling, then barking, and they froze. Said "Thank you." and got back in their Ford Explorer. Obliviot jerkwads. Seriously.

4) And last, but not least, people who cannot drive in parking lots. Look, it's not rocket science. It's low speed. And yes, there are pedestrians, other cars, and often stray carts from the obliviots mentioned in #3--see? You should yell at them too! But it shouldn't be THAT hard for you. If it is, have someone drive you. I sometimes drive my neighbor ladies--especially after heavy snow--because parking lots make them nervous. If parking lots make you nervous, hitch a ride or get a self-help book about it. I dunno. But there is absolutely NO NEED to take 15 minutes to back out of your spot. There's NO NEED to pull in sliding sideways decelerating from 45 to 0 on smoking tires. It's not NASCAR. Just try to be cool. Easy does it.

Anyway...those are my thoughts on the Grocery Store Obliviots. There's more...but it's not as funny. Like the guy today who asked me out because he liked what he saw in my cart. Who says stuff like that? But I have to go unpack groceries now.

Cheers!
    Broo
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

5 members found this post helpful.

Reading this thread made me remember one woman who was standing in front of her EMPTY cart, took the 3 bags of groceries are her arm and walked out, leaving her cart! I was directly behind her and just gave her cart a big push into her saying loudly "Honey, you forgot your cart!" This was NOT an older person but probably was about upper 20's to low 30's. The check out girl burst out laughing and after the woman pulled her cart out of the way, told me she had done that before and was thilled I took matters in my own hands.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

While my mother was still ambulatory I used to help her with her grocery shopping on Saturday afternoons twice a month. It was my day off from work. She used a walker, and always paid in cash, which meant she moved slowly and that she insisted on paying with the correct change, right down to the last penny. I could usually feel the hostility building up behind us in the checkout line as she dug into her little change purse to get her change and count it out for the cashier. I was glad I was behind her in the line so she wouldn't feel the pressure of the hostility coming in at her. I guess we went shopping on the wrong day of the week, but geez, she was 85 years old. Give an old lady a break!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

This is making me laugh! We went out yesterday to get a few things for me cuz I'm heading back to work. I just had surgery 4 weeks ago so can't have anyone or thing bumping into me. We're in line with our items on the belt waiting for the lady in front of us to pay. She was having issues with her card so it was taking a bit longer. My hubby was standing in front of me when I felt a shopper join our line. We had maybe 4 inches of belt left? Lady behind me tries to shove her oil pan catcher, cereal, mop, and Lysol in that space. Practically climbing over me! She's sighing at the same time and I know it's because she thinks we can move up and give her more room for the rest of her cart. But, my hubby is big on not getting right up beside the one in front of you when they're paying. Which is good "linetiquette," and she would have got 2 more inches, maybe?

He puts himself between us, smiles nicely at her and says "Ma'am, I don't believe it's your turn yet." As he's saying it, he put her things back in her cart! He's super cute, 6'2"...what can she do that won't make her look worse?? She just flushes and says "uh yah right."

He's so easy going, but lines make the, ah, gentleman come out. I laughed all the way to the car! We had another incident in the parking lot to add to the fun. It was more entertainment than I've had these past 4 weeks lol

6 members found this post helpful.

Some people are so rude these days! Around here when they open another line most people are trying to rearrange the new line so the people with kids or few items go first. And it's very common to have people wait for a parent with kids to load their car, and take their cart to the cart corral for them.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

I also don't get the rush to 'get the stuff on the belt' that some people seem to do. I can generally unload my cart faster than the checker can check out, so there's no need to be cramming everything on the belt.

I almost always bag my own groceries if there's not a bagger. I went back around to pay and there was a man standing in front of the slide machine. As I walked up, he didn't move so I asked him if he was going to pay for me.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey09 View Post
    I've done that, but once it literally turned into one of the most painstaking shopping experiences I've experienced. I had quite a few things in my cart, but I have that tendency to always be in a hurry. I saw that a man behind me only had a couple of things, so I let him go ahead of me. There were all kinds of issues their - a coupon problem, an item ID problem, he and the cashier had different ideas on the amount of change he was owed. It went on and on. Eventually I switched lines. Honestly, the experience has left me a little gun shy.
    I just hate grocery shopping most of the time. It's can be so tedious.
    I'm probably weird. I love grocery shopping. Or maybe I just love Wegman's.

Both of my daughters live out of town and their visits usually include a trip to Wegman's
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by FourFaults View Post
    This is making me laugh! We went out yesterday to get a few things for me cuz I'm heading back to work. I just had surgery 4 weeks ago so can't have anyone or thing bumping into me. We're in line with our items on the belt waiting for the lady in front of us to pay. She was having issues with her card so it was taking a bit longer. My hubby was standing in front of me when I felt a shopper join our line. We had maybe 4 inches of belt left? Lady behind me tries to shove her oil pan catcher, cereal, mop, and Lysol in that space. Practically climbing over me! She's sighing at the same time and I know it's because she thinks we can move up and give her more room for the rest of her cart. But, my hubby is big on not getting right up beside the one in front of you when they're paying. Which is good "linetiquette," and she would have got 2 more inches, maybe?

He puts himself between us, smiles nicely at her and says "Ma'am, I don't believe it's your turn yet." As he's saying it, he put her things back in her cart! He's super cute, 6'2"...what can she do that won't make her look worse?? She just flushes and says "uh yah right."

He's so easy going, but lines make the, ah, gentleman come out. I laughed all the way to the car! We had another incident in the parking lot to add to the fun. It was more entertainment than I've had these past 4 weeks lol
    I have a plate and a bunch of screws on the outside of my left ankle. shortly after I was able to walk I was in line in front of a mother and child who were having a discussion concerning candy. Child had a mini hissy fit and SHOVED the cart, yup, right into my ankle. I screamed and tears started rolling down my face.

Mom got mad....AT ME
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    I have a plate and a bunch of screws on the outside of my left ankle. shortly after I was able to walk I was in line in front of a mother and child who were having a discussion concerning candy. Child had a mini hissy fit and SHOVED the cart, yup, right into my ankle. I screamed and tears started rolling down my face.

Mom got mad....AT ME
    Ugh I have had the same thing happen! Kids, and even adults that smack things into my ankle after surgery. And yes they think it is your fault. I even had a kid come up and kick me in my cast because he wanted a candy bar I was in front of! I used many four letter words to describe wheat I thought of that. The mother was furious and told her kid to ignore the bad person and pretty much knocked me over to get the candy bar for her kid.

I carry a big purse and use it frequently when people get too close behind me. I'll pretend I'm looking for something in it and then swing it dramatically back over my shoulder.

If you're close enough that you get hit with it then perhaps you are too freaking close to me! "Oh, sorry - I didn't realize you were so close to me". He he he.

Oh - and weird thing on Friday night at the grocery store. A creepy looking guy drove his handicapped cart thingy in to my ass. He said "sorry - I was looking over there and didn't see you".

Um right. I assure you that my ass is not that easy to miss. Pervert.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    I wear a red ribbon in my ponytail. Does not help.
    Broo, this is cracking me up right now.
    I find that a ducks opinion of me is very much influenced over whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread but they do not have the capability to buy a loaf. Thats the biggest joke on the duck ever.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    I'm probably weird. I love grocery shopping. Or maybe I just love Wegman's.

Both of my daughters live out of town and their visits usually include a trip to Wegman's
    Oh I think lot of people do. I don't really like to cook so it's more of a necessity thing for me. I would rather be doing something else, so I give myself a time goal and try to be in and out. I don't get in other people's space, though, as I don't like being that close to strangers. I also believe in politeness, but I am definitely on a mission and moving fast.