The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default A checkout line PSA

When you're at the end of a long line waiting to pay for your stuff and an employee opens another register, don't be the jerk who runs over to the newly opened register. Offer to let someone who's been waiting longer than you go first.
    Your future is created by what you do today, not tomorrow.

14 members found this post helpful.

And offer to let someone go in front of you if they just have a couple of things...
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

14 members found this post helpful.

Years ago (still makes me mad) I was in line at an early discount chain. One cashier, second one arrives and the first one decides it is time for her break IN THE MIDDLE OF A TRANSACTION.

There were 4 or 5 of us in line, I was next after the aborted transaction. The older (not) gentleman behind me cut in front of me as we all shifted over. OK, I'll be polite to the old man. Then the woman that was behind him (who I had seen minutes before coming down the stairs WHILE I was standing in line) pipes up that I had cut in front of her. I state that no, I was in front of the older man and that he had cut in front of me and I had already been in line when she was walking down the stairs. She huffs and puff and claims I am lying.

The old man gives me a sheepish dirty look and exits quickly. The new cashier helps me and as I am leaving apologizes to the other woman. Needless to say my feet never crossed that stores threshold again.

1 members found this post helpful.

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

Honestly, people can be such jerks. Tuffytown, you handled it far better than I would have!!
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

a matter of logistics, if I am already in the chute, I am staying, likewise when I have my crap on the belt already...one time I moved, some asinine transaction that was beyond the chashier's ability to handle on her own....

But I do let the lady know - in a humerous way, it's not her fault - when the store seems uninterested in my money...when only one register is open, on the far end from where I came in....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

A few weeks ago I asked a lady to go ahead of me, she had like 3 things and I had a moderately full basket and time to spare. She had a weird attitude, like she expected it but whatever. Anyway, the cashier next to us seemed to be moving quicker so the lady I let go in front hopped over there. Then that cashier had an issue that backed them all up The lady actually kept eyeballing me expectantly like she fully expected me to just invite her right back over. Umm, no. I was cashed out and gone while she was still standing there.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

9 members found this post helpful.

I have on occasion let the person behind me go ahead if they only have a few items (but once I start unloading I am staying).
    my grocery store usually has the checker opening the new line approach the first person in line that hasn't started unloading and offers to take the on register X. That seems to avoid most of the issues.

That is exactly why I grocery shop at the store I like. It may not be cheapest, but the service makes up for it. When they call for extra help there, everyone charges to the front. At other stores when they call for extra help you can see the other employees going away from the registers.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

2 members found this post helpful.

I love when I am there with my full cart and the manager comes over and tells me to go to the express lane... I now refuse to do it after the sighs and eye-rolls I've gotten from the clerks who don't realize I was sent there by their manager.
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

I have to add onto this: if your in the self checkout line, I understand its TOTALLY adorable for little Sally to help you scan items. And i'll smile and aww over one item. But when little Sally is slowly, painfully scanning each and all of your items at noon while the world is on their lunch break, I will want to drop kick your child.

Even though its adorable.

32 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    I love when I am there with my full cart and the manager comes over and tells me to go to the express lane... I now refuse to do it after the sighs and eye-rolls I've gotten from the clerks who don't realize I was sent there by their manager.
    I did that as a cashier, if both express were open and the big cashes we unbelievebly backed up then we would grab a big order one by one, while still at least having a express open.

Or let anyone with under 20 items go in our lane as opposed to them waiting, 8 items doesnt make a huge difference.

Sometimes its nessasary to do, if its 1 big cash running we take whatever size, otherwise, keep them to smaller big orders
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

While we're at it: if you've got a cart loaded full and three envelopes bursting at the seams with coupons, please, for the love of all that is holy, get your damn coupons sorted or close to it before the checker is finished and everyone's waiting on you to pay. Don't just hand the checker your envelopes and have her scan every. last. one. to determine if it's one that you can actually use.

It's been months since that happened to me; I ended up abandoning my cart since there was nothing in it I couldn't live without until the next day. But if I'd been that woman I'd have been sincerely scared that someone might push me into traffic.

4 members found this post helpful.

I had that happen yesterday...a guy with a cart ran me over to get in the new line while I had 3 items. He won..I guess that is what counted (at least, in his mind). I tried to catch his eye and he would not look over...maybe he knew my sarcastic humor was looking for a place to land! lol

Quote Originally Posted by SDgumby View Post
    I had that happen yesterday...a guy with a cart ran me over to get in the new line while I had 3 items. He won..I guess that is what counted (at least, in his mind). I tried to catch his eye and he would not look over...maybe he knew my sarcastic humor was looking for a place to land! lol
    should have tried with a can of spaghetti sauce...it would ahve caught his attention....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by KLCarp View Post
    I have to add onto this: if your in the self checkout line, I understand its TOTALLY adorable for little Sally to help you scan items. And i'll smile and aww over one item. But when little Sally is slowly, painfully scanning each and all of your items at noon while the world is on their lunch break, I will want to drop kick your child.

Even though its adorable.
    Same goes for counting out the change.

Yes, it's adorable that you're explaining our monetary system to your two year old. They'll totally put knowing what a dime is as a toddler to good use, with all their shopping. And the grocery store with a line building up is a GREAT place to teach them.

If it's busy, or right after work when everyone just wants to GET HOME, it makes me want to shove the both of you into oncoming traffic.

7 members found this post helpful.

l really liked the policy our old Lucky store had - if someone opened up a new register they came and gently took ahold of the cart belonging to the longest waiter and led you to the first place in the new line. They had a nice system and they did a pretty good job of grabbing the person who hadn't quite gotten to the point they were able to start putting their things on the belt.

They'd come get you and log into their register while you were loading up the belt. Really a nice system.

I have been called over to the about 15 items line when it was empty and there was no one nearby - by the clerk - and I got some flack from the next guy - but those clerks need their jobs and if she stands there empty and waiting it shows on her computer generated hourly report the next day - and her hours might get cut and she won't be there at all the next day. Grocery stores use that predictive scheduling too and just like my boss they'd rather save money than pay it out.

ETA we have a dozen self serve stations - makes no nevermind to me what people teach their kids because there is rarely any waiting there.

If I get in a regular line though with the couponers and the paycheck cashers, stick a fork in me, I'm done.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Meh, to me it depends on layout. Even if I haven't put my items on the belt yet, if I have to back out between the candy stands, and have people behind back out to let me go first (since I've waited longer), i'd rather the last in line jumped onto the new cash. I mean, it's only gonna be like 3 minutes.

If the waiting are in a line outside the candy stands, like for ex a Shoppers Drug Mart setup, then the longest waiting should definitely go first.
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

I am sure that I have been thoughtlessly guilty of doing what I complained about. I would like to think that everyone else who does it is just not thinking also. But it really is tantamount to just brazenly cutting in front of someone in line.

When it happened a few hours ago, the young woman behind me said out loud (but not TO the offenders) something like "Well, that's nice." And I turned to her and said, "Yeah, I love that." I hope the guilty parties heard and processed it.

Of course if I had actually said something to the "jerks," they would've been profusely apologetic and then I would've felt like an even bigger jerk and kicked myself for not graciously keeping my mouth shut.
    Your future is created by what you do today, not tomorrow.

That is actually why I kinda like the one line queue that some places use. No getting hosed by getting stuck behind a super long, bad transaction.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CDE Driver View Post
    And offer to let someone go in front of you if they just have a couple of things...
    I've done that, but once it literally turned into one of the most painstaking shopping experiences I've experienced. I had quite a few things in my cart, but I have that tendency to always be in a hurry. I saw that a man behind me only had a couple of things, so I let him go ahead of me. There were all kinds of issues their - a coupon problem, an item ID problem, he and the cashier had different ideas on the amount of change he was owed. It went on and on. Eventually I switched lines. Honestly, the experience has left me a little gun shy.
    I just hate grocery shopping most of the time. It's can be so tedious.