The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you agree with this list?

I saw this list online today and I must say, I do not totally agree!! Coonhound is #5 for a first time owner??? Now I have a coonhound and I understand their issues but out of all the dog breeds to list them a 5 under the Tibetan Mastiff?

What do y'all say and should we do a COTH list?

https://shine.yahoo.com/pets/8-worst...133100139.html

Quote Originally Posted by spotnnotfarm View Post
    I saw this list online today and I must say, I do not totally agree!! Coonhound is #5 for a first time owner??? Now I have a coonhound and I understand their issues but out of all the dog breeds to list them a 5 under the Tibetan Mastiff?

WORST dogs for a first timer.

Of course there are a few WTF listings...Tibetan anything isn't all that common to be readily available, nor do I think the average noob will have even heard about them....

Fur-Real-Friend...best dog ever for beginners Under the age of ten )
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

3 members found this post helpful.

No hound, save maybe a Beagle is a good dog for a first time owner. Hounds are weird and take a certain kind of person who can tolerate a dog that is a running machine and can think for itself.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by sk_pacer View Post
    No hound, save maybe a Beagle is a good dog for a first time owner. Hounds are weird and take a certain kind of person who can tolerate a dog that is a running machine and can think for itself.
    I do not disagree at all! However, I think my top 8 would look a lot different! I LOVE hounds but hardly recomend them because they are such different dogs. I would put it in the top 15-20 but not the top 8.

I can definitely see it. I love my hound, I didn't chose him, he showed up and I was unable to rehome him. I would never give him up, but I will also never have another. He's not an easy dog. Now my collie and cocker on the other hand? Piece of cake. The lab is a lab.

There's also a link to the 8 best, and they are Papillon, Boxer, Collie, Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, Springer Spaniel, Poodle, Whippet, and Shih Tzu. I don't know anything about Whippets and I disagree with the Shih Tzus, but maybe I've only met badly bred Shih Tzus.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't know if those would be my top 8 "worst" for first time owners.....but I do agree that none of those breeds are suitable for a first time owner.

I say it's a pretty good list.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

There are a lot of high maintenance breeds and it is hard to make a list of 8. However, I also think a lot has to do with how dog-centered a person wants to be. Sometimes a 1st time owner that has a lot of time and gets into a lot of dog activities is going to be better than an over-committed person who thinks that everything that worked on one dog should work on every dog.

I would have a Malinois way up there, a Chessie Retriever, a Weimie, they all would have made the top ten list for me....very strong, opinionated and ready to take control if you don't dogs....
    Kerri

#1 is my favorite breed of all-time. But I heartily agree that a border collie is not the right dog for first time owner ... or most second or third time owners, either.

A lot of friends would see our dog and get interested in owning a border collie, and I'd have to warn them off. Mookie was great -- handsome, so smart and a lot of fun. But he lived on a farm where he got 4 to 6 hours of exercise every day. And even then, he had his little idiosyncrasies that made him ... interesting.

Definitely not a good choice for our suburbanite friends.

Anything with terrier in the name is bad for a first time owner

Love how they've used rare breeds and avoided the obvious. The Tibetan Mastiff was a nice touch - there are what, 14 on the planet? I think they went after breeds with too few owners to get pissed at them.

I definitely think Tibetan Mastiffs should be on that list. They may be rare but they are becoming very trendy in some circles. Who knows why... not my cup of tea!

But a friend's sister is a BYB (think silver labs) and has imported several 'white' Tibetan Mastiffs from China. They are a whole different animal than the American bred Tibetan Mastiffs she has. They are primitive, intense and extremely driven and protective from just a few months old. And she is selling them for $1800 a pop to buyers all around the US. Just encourages her to keep breeding. The way my friend describes the temperament of the imported ones is just a law suit waiting to happen and all these unsuspecting puppy buyers might not realize the temperament differences between the two lines.

And for the 'best' dogs list.... I wouldn't put a soft coated wheaten on there! I loved mine, but was glad I had some good dog experience under my belt before her.
    Lindsay

2 members found this post helpful.

Any decent animal lover with a modicum of sense could manage a greyhound....
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Any decent animal lover with a modicum of sense could manage a greyhound....
    I have to agree with this. My husband and I adopted a greyhound straight from the track kennel. Best dog! He came basically completely trained (potty, leash, safe to handle, friendly with people). He is like a cat and sleeps all day, and gets walked 3x per day. He is very low maintenance. No shedding, I can trim his nails, doesn't destroy/chew anything, doesn't bark, lives with 4 cats and the cats boss him around. It has been unbelievable how easy this dog is. I will never own anything but a greyhound after this experience - truly all the hard work has already been done for you. Kind of like an OTTB where you get a horse that has already had a lot of training done for you.

2 members found this post helpful.

My dog, the ACD, is on there, which I whole-heartedly agree with. I love him to death but would NEVER recommend the breed for a newbie. I also would have had the Akita way higher on that list.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

Marcella - we found the same with our greyhounds - while I've had so many dogs in our lives since childhood, and loved them all, the greyhound is the one I miss the most.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by clarzoo View Post

And for the 'best' dogs list.... I wouldn't put a soft coated wheaten on there! I loved mine, but was glad I had some good dog experience under my belt before her.
    Yeah, all the Wheaton's I've know have been neurotic!

I have two coonhounds. They are stone cold weirdos, but they are actually easier than my Dobie... Who I would also put on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by kasjordan View Post
    I would have a Malinois way up there, a Chessie Retriever, a Weimie, they all would have made the top ten list for me....very strong, opinionated and ready to take control if you don't dogs....
    I agree with the Chessie's for a first time owner - but they are fab dogs if you started out with Dobie's and a Rott! I'm on my 3rd and while she's a great dog, I still call her rotten since she's only 2 years old!

I think any "working" dog of any sort that is well bred to do their job is not a good match for a first time owner. First dog for everyone should pretty much be a Lab or a Golden, in my opinion.