The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default If You Love What You Do For A Living . . .

. . . and couldn't do that anymore, what else would you choose to do for a living?

I'm not talking about being incapable to do your present job, but a situation as if your present type of job disappeared altogether.

I would go into hospitality management and manage the equine operations of an equestrian themed vacay spot somewhere exotic.

By The Book, could you be more specific? I'm in hospitality management and constantly investigating equestrian themed vacay spots somewhere exotic...

And if one day the iPads take over my job (it could happen), I would go back to teaching English...and if the iPads take that job too, I think I would set up an iPad store

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, we're dreaming here, right? When I was on the search for my current job here in Florida, I found a job listing for a manager in the Galapagos Islands to handle the care of a string of rental horses for vacationers to take beach front rides. It included accommodations on the island and all sorts of perks. I also thought that working for a resort of that type in the Bahamas or something managing the resort's stable, etc. That's how I want to retire.

I just saw an ad looking for someone to work the summer on block island off of rhode island, managing their string of rental horses and the barn for what seemed very little pay. maybe just housing and tips even.

I would want to be a working student. Nope, not a top trainer or rider, just a working student.

That makes me crazy, right? I am basically unpaid slave labor for my trainer on the weekends and I constantly dream about doing it full time.

Once I saw an ad for a stable manager position for Ellen Degeneres and Portia de Rossi's horses. The job didn't actually involve any caretaking (feeding, mucking, etc.), just riding and grooming the horses to keep them fit and happy for when Ellen and Portia occasionally wanted to ride. Now, THAT is my ultimate dream job!

Dh and I are actually re-inventing ourselves and contemplating work we might otherwise never have considered. atm we work as contractors in the Oil industry, which is interesting enough, easy enough, and profitable enough. It's also dirty and hot and can be boring, but I think we can manage for a few years until and unless something else comes along.

Suz, I don't know if I am allowed to post this, but there is a site called workingcouples.com that has some neat couples jobs in various industries, including horses. There are also a TON of them in the horse business alone. DH and I are a working couple and it is really wonderful. I am told that not all couples could stand working together, but he and I work best that way.

2 members found this post helpful.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I'd read books to children in libraries all day, if my job disappeared. (And..with Ipads, which I LOATHE, coming to every student in my school next year, I'm guessing my job is going to become unbearable).

Or, I'd pursue becoming a voice actor--you know, for commercials, cartoons, and the like. I have a great "radio voice", can do many accents and funny voices. Makes my teaching job that much more fun!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

thanks bythebook, I had forgotten about that site!

I think I would be a physicist. I discovered that I loved physics way too late in my college career.

I would be a gardener. Not mowing lawns, but all the fussy stuff. Or a surgeon, but only if I could magically morph into one.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

I would like to be a private cook and tend to the vegetable & herb garden out back.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

Day trading.

Hm, right now, I'm in that quandary and trying to figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    Hm, right now, I'm in that quandary and trying to figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life.
    I have been lucky to, in my now very long life, be able to do what I loved, care for the land and the animals on it.

That has meant also doing what I didn't care for along with it, but it was all part of doing what I loved.

So, even if you may not be doing ALL you love, keep your eye on the goal, on the opportunities, on doing whatever you are doing as part of the whole that is what you love.

Hope that makes sense.

A Thought Leader...once I get my thoughts together.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I have been lucky to, in my now very long life, be able to do what I loved, care for the land and the animals on it.

That has meant also doing what I didn't care for along with it, but it was all part of doing what I loved.

So, even if you may not be doing ALL you love, keep your eye on the goal, on the opportunities, on doing whatever you are doing as part of the whole that is what you love.

Hope that makes sense.
    Bluey, it makes perfect sense. Having lost my last horse the beginning of the month is why I'm not sure yet what I want to do. I know that he was my last horse. I also know this past winter really was tough and I wasn't looking forward to another winter with horses. Therefore putting my horse down makes it easy to not deal with another winter with horses. They were my life for 52 yrs of ownership and a complete life time(68) of either wanting or loving the ones I owned. Currently going over to a friends farm and brushing and hugging and loving my horses companion for the last 3 yrs. But I know I'm out of horse ownership for good. Am considering heading over to Finger Lakes Thoroughbred Adoption Program as a volunteer to keep my involvement with horses. Actually waiting for warmer weather to get at gardening projects and yard work though. Like I said, I'm just not sure what the future holds in store.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    Bluey, it makes perfect sense. Having lost my last horse the beginning of the month is why I'm not sure yet what I want to do. I know that he was my last horse. I also know this past winter really was tough and I wasn't looking forward to another winter with horses. Therefore putting my horse down makes it easy to not deal with another winter with horses. They were my life for 52 yrs of ownership and a complete life time(68) of either wanting or loving the ones I owned. Currently going over to a friends farm and brushing and hugging and loving my horses companion for the last 3 yrs. But I know I'm out of horse ownership for good. Am considering heading over to Finger Lakes Thoroughbred Adoption Program as a volunteer to keep my involvement with horses. Actually waiting for warmer weather to get at gardening projects and yard work though. Like I said, I'm just not sure what the future holds in store.
    So sorry that you lost your horse, more than I can say, having been lately in your shoes also.

You are wise.
    We don't have to own horses to love and care for some as our own.

A friend loves horses, has never really ridden other than as a kid in her grandparents farm in the summers.
    All thru her life she has found a way to be around horses, many years volunteered at the local handicapped horseback program when she had time, as a groom and side walker and so had her horse "fix".

Expanding our horizons, thinking out of the box of "owning" the only way to really fulfill our having a horse requirement is the key to be happy with whatever way we get to work with horses.

Hope you find happiness with the horses you have yet to meet.

Thanks Bluey for your kind and thoughtful words.
    Sue