The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan. 7, 2007
    Location
    lexington, ky
    Posts
    1,085

    Default

    This is my stepsister's DD if anyone wants to help.

    http://www.gofundme.com/8398hg


    1 members found this post helpful.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan. 18, 2008
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    450

    Default

    It depends. If it is something where people want to know what they can do to help (taking up donations for someone or something), that's different from "I want something." I have started one GoFundMe campaign--for a friend who was murdered by her boyfriend. Her horse had had surgery just two weeks earlier, and she was working two jobs to pay for it. Her other horse, who was for sale, had been injured around the same time. Her mom was left with the bills for those two plus her own mare, so the donations covered the vet bills and the next few months' upkeep on the girl's personal horse. The rest was donated to the local women's shelter. Thus it was a way for her friends to show support and love while simultaneously helping the family and showing support.

    Knowing that GFM takes a cut means I would never use it for something where collecting money more traditionally works equally well.



  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan. 19, 2014
    Posts
    904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    I was on reddit and saw a woman got more money from her indigogo drive (like gofundme) than I was able to get via small business loan. She is opening a shop like mine on the west coast. It made me feel frustrated, sick, and a little jealous as I continue to fight my way through the early days of my start up that is completely funded by me (or my credit).
    I can understand feeling jealous, but why does that make you dislike the site? I think it's a fantastic resource. I've donated to small business campaigns like that - one from a small-time artist whose work I adore and the other for a cupcake food truck. I enjoy supporting local businesses!

    Kickstarter gives out "prizes" for each donation level, so it's not like I'm getting absolutely nothing for my money.

    I try to just ignore the funding campaigns I don't agree with. The ones that drive me nuts are the ones that are like "I brought home a puppy a few months ago, now he needs $3000 to treat his parvovirus, please donate so the vet doesn't kill him."



  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul. 4, 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    1,397

    Default

    If people want to donate for someone's frivolous request, who am I to say they shouldn't? As long as the requester is honest about what they're trying to fund, that is. You won't be getting any of my money, but good luck with that. It's the people who fraudulently make up some tragedy to play on the sympathies of strangers to get donations that I have a problem with. People who pretend to have a kid with cancer, or whatever. There was even some woman on FB a few years ago trying to get donations for surgery for a dog that didn't exist.
    -Debbie / NH

    My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/


    2 members found this post helpful.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep. 13, 2000
    Location
    Greenville, MI,
    Posts
    11,811

    Default

    Okay, I want another horse, Can't afford to get one can I start a fund raiser?
    I also want a newer car can't swing it, How about it~
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.



  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun. 22, 2012
    Posts
    1,247

    Default

    A friend of a friend has one set up. She went to school for acting and is trying to raise money so she can quit her job waiting tables to focus on her art. I'm trying really hard not to roll my eyes as I type this...


    3 members found this post helpful.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun. 20, 2009
    Location
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Posts
    2,965

    Default

    I have found may interesting things in Kickstarter. I am intrigued by the idea a broader range of ideas and philosophies could be explored via this sort of thing

    GoFundMe? Well.... what can you say? There are plenty of deserving people, but I really do question whether one should continue to treat (or torture...) someone who is very young and very ill.

    And who knows, that girl who wants a horse? I got into horses via a young mother who knew nothing about horses. BUT, she got one, a just started 4 year old, of course.... kept it in the back yard (for several days, and got a ticket from the PD every day it was there...) joined 4H as a leader ( so she could learn about horses....) and because of her, many young people got into horses. She had that horse for over 25 years.



  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun. 23, 2004
    Location
    horse country, usa
    Posts
    691

    Default

    I agree with most of you about funding for good causes, however, I will admit that I "thought" about doing something like this to restore a historical building on my property. I bought a small farm with a small stone house built in the 1800's and have been doing research on it. Unfortunately I've gotten to a point where I'm stuck and would love to have someone delve into its history, but that is pricey... and then while the exterior is in overall good shape, the interior had been in a fire so its pretty gutted inside. It will cost a lot of money to make it be what it once was... I didn't have the guts to ask people for money for this project... I had hoped i could get a grant to restore it, but no money for that in my state...

    I haven't done that, but it was one thing I really would like a lump sum of money for as it is a beautiful building... I just don't feel right though in requesting money for that kind of project.
    For things to do in Loudoun County, visit: www.365thingstodoloudoun.com



  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2007
    Posts
    1,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by knightrider View Post
    I agree with most of you about funding for good causes, however, I will admit that I "thought" about doing something like this to restore a historical building on my property. I bought a small farm with a small stone house built in the 1800's and have been doing research on it. Unfortunately I've gotten to a point where I'm stuck and would love to have someone delve into its history, but that is pricey... and then while the exterior is in overall good shape, the interior had been in a fire so its pretty gutted inside. It will cost a lot of money to make it be what it once was... I didn't have the guts to ask people for money for this project... I had hoped i could get a grant to restore it, but no money for that in my state...

    I haven't done that, but it was one thing I really would like a lump sum of money for as it is a beautiful building... I just don't feel right though in requesting money for that kind of project.
    I can see a funding page for this, especially if you turned it into a tourist location because of it's history, or allowed people to rent it out for the night. Maybe give those that donated a free night in exchange for their donations.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan. 21, 2000
    Posts
    4,951

    Default

    There are many sad situations that are heartbreaking, and people have no where to turn or anyone to turn to....and just need help....I think as humanity there is nothing wrong or any shame in asking...we are here to live and love and help our fellow man. If I can I gladly give with prayers, what I can to fund raisers like that...unfortunately I really can't afford to donate to things that are goal oriented...while I wish everyone the chance to reach their dreams and goals...and find nothing wrong with them trying everyway they can and with drive and determination...I just don't have the funds to include those type of donations in what I try to give..
    "All life is precious"
    Sophie Scholl



  11. #31
    Join Date
    Nov. 7, 2002
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    5,258

    Default

    This is my only experience with the site: http://www.gofundme.com/7y54ik

    Laura and Verdades are ranked 15th in the nation right now in their first year of GP together.

    A dry stall in Wellington costs (are y'all sitting down?) ... $7,000 in the off season. I'm sure when one calculates property taxes and insurance and so on, somewhere that makes sense to someone. I'm shaking my head, but Laura's going all-out to maximize this opportunity, and I'd love to see her get more support.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

    Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff



  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jul. 14, 2003
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    6,110

    Default

    I'm not big on gofundme, and I find most of the causes unworthy of my hard earned money. I do like kickstarter, and it seems that gofundme causes now have the ability to give rewards to people who donate.

    Here is one such cause.

    http://www.gofundme.com/saving-Patrick

    This cat was a stray that an acquaintance of mine found on the street. She absolutely has no money, but couldn't stand to see this nice cat die on the street. She took him in anyway, hoping that she would find a way to save him. Through gofundme, they are giving little refrigerator magnets as a reward for donations. Why not?
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller


    1 members found this post helpful.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Mar. 16, 2009
    Location
    Near the cupcake shop
    Posts
    2,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by independentlyawesome View Post
    I can understand feeling jealous, but why does that make you dislike the site? I think it's a fantastic resource. I've donated to small business campaigns like that - one from a small-time artist whose work I adore and the other for a cupcake food truck. I enjoy supporting local businesses!

    Kickstarter gives out "prizes" for each donation level, so it's not like I'm getting absolutely nothing for my money.

    I try to just ignore the funding campaigns I don't agree with. The ones that drive me nuts are the ones that are like "I brought home a puppy a few months ago, now he needs $3000 to treat his parvovirus, please donate so the vet doesn't kill him."
    Why do I dislike it? Because I worked very hard, have made huge sacrifices, invested my life savings, busted my butt to get an SBA loan, and have made it work. This woman apparently also got a loan and is using the donations as her fluff to keep her afloat during the first year. The fact that random people gave her almost double what I was able to secure with my loan vs online begging is extremely frustrating.

    I hope she makes it, but if I "needed" to solicit funding from strangers on the internet to get me going, I would be staring very hard at my business plan.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Mar. 30, 2012
    Location
    Crestview, Fl
    Posts
    441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gdolapp View Post
    This gofund me stuff ticks me off. I have a friend who's husband is in the Army. Their son has a seriouse heart disorder, he is three years old and getting ready to undergo his THIRD surgery.
    She has a gofund me account with not only photo's and video's but explanation as to why she is asking for funds. His surgery is not at an Army hospital and their Insurance does not cover motel, food travel expenses. She has had the account for sometime now and has raised less than a grand.
    What ticks me off is woman can go on set up an account post pictures and ask for money for boob jobs and they end up with thousands in days.
    Sorry but you are getting wrong information. My son was very sick as a toddler and we were stationed in Japan going back and forth to Hawaii for medical treatment. The military absolutely pays for hotels and per diem for food, even a rental car in some cases.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Sep. 8, 2006
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    Why do I dislike it? Because I worked very hard, have made huge sacrifices, invested my life savings, busted my butt to get an SBA loan, and have made it work. This woman apparently also got a loan and is using the donations as her fluff to keep her afloat during the first year. The fact that random people gave her almost double what I was able to secure with my loan vs online begging is extremely frustrating.
    Although I understand where you're coming from, to me your hard work and sacrifice mean you can take that much more pride in your accomplishment, knowing that you did it the hard way, on your own.

    So I say good on ya.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Feb. 20, 2010
    Location
    All 'round Canadia
    Posts
    4,643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Okay, I want another horse, Can't afford to get one can I start a fund raiser?
    I also want a newer car can't swing it, How about it~
    Yeah, you can.

    Whether anyone'll fund it for you is another question
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia


    1 members found this post helpful.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Mar. 16, 2009
    Location
    Near the cupcake shop
    Posts
    2,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    Although I understand where you're coming from, to me your hard work and sacrifice mean you can take that much more pride in your accomplishment, knowing that you did it the hard way, on your own.

    So I say good on ya.
    Thank you.

    I sit here sweating out how I am ever going to cover all the bills I have (I'm 18 months in) and then watch others let people pay those bills for them via an internet fundraiser. It's just frustrating.



  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jul. 14, 2003
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    6,110

    Default

    When I was in law school I lived over a small independent pharmacy/convenience store. As many stores do, Sam, the proprietor had a can on the counter with a hole in the top to solicit donations. Written on the can were the words "Send Sammy to Miami fund." People used to throw their change into it all the time.

    Bless some people for being generous, I guess, but one wishes that they would be a bit more discriminating or something.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller



  19. #39
    Join Date
    May. 2, 2011
    Posts
    293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceWife View Post
    Sorry but you are getting wrong information. My son was very sick as a toddler and we were stationed in Japan going back and forth to Hawaii for medical treatment. The military absolutely pays for hotels and per diem for food, even a rental car in some cases.
    True. If the Army docs/hospitals can't do a surgery TriCare has to pay for off-base surgeries.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2000
    Location
    Rochester,NY,USA
    Posts
    7,318

    Default

    When people, family included, ask me for money for their charity, whether it's a not-for-profit or not, I figure I don't ask them to fund my favorite charities so I find it very easy to ignore their requests. If they have the gall to ask me in person or over the phone, I simply say when they donate to the charity of my choice, I'll consider donating to theirs.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!


    1 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 37
    Last Post: Apr. 7, 2013, 07:05 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: Nov. 5, 2012, 10:52 PM
  3. Replies: 29
    Last Post: Sep. 6, 2012, 10:35 PM
  4. Replies: 60
    Last Post: Aug. 28, 2009, 09:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness