The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Asking People For Money-Aka GoFundMe

What are your thoughts about people you know asking for donations via sites such as GoFundMe? I get at least one a week from my Facebook newsfeed, usually from fellow horse people. I could never fathom asking people for money off the internet. I was wondering how others here on COTH feel about it?

I could see it in desperate conditions (ex: 7yr old with cancer that need surgery, parents can't afford it and don't have insurance) Defiantly if a friend of someone in a desperate situation was raising money.

3 members found this post helpful.

I think certain situations warrant it but I took a look at some of "pages" last night and have to say there are a lot of them that I would not donate to. That being said I have "funded" a couple of them this year. One was a friend who's church (very small church) that needed some repairs and the other was another friend who's daughter had lost her husband to a military accident. I look at each situation and will give to those I feel are warranted.

1 members found this post helpful.

It depends greatly on the situation. For things like extreme human medical bills, I think it is appropriate. Also for other stuff that you would normally fundraise for - such as the school band or sports team going on a trip, church missions trip, collecting to buy items to donate to the poor. And for non-profit charities.

But when it just looks like a grub for money by a private person, that's where I draw the line. If you've been irresponsible with money, it's not my job to pay for your late mortgage/pet's surgery/trip to the Caribbean. I've seen individual people raising money on there to "rescue" a horse. BS. You want other people to buy you a horse.

2 members found this post helpful.

I went on the website and read the one about saving Eliza

So many people wanna study abroad. I was able to afford my semester in Sweden by working my ass off the summer before, not by telling people to just give me money....

16 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by maddiehorse View Post
    I went on the website and read the one about saving Eliza
    See that's one I can get behind 100%! Not only would it save that little girls life, but a successful trial like that could eventually save the life of millions in the future!

But things like this?

http://www.gofundme.com/8hshlw

http://www.gofundme.com/Johny-Amerika

http://www.gofundme.com/5uq3y4

COME ON!

I guess the ones from some horse people I know bug me the most. I get them all the time to pay for a horses medical bill, a riders medical bill, replace stolen tack, pay for an expensive horse show, etc. I guess it just rubs me the wrong way. I just got one today asking to help to pay a horse vet bill. Horses are expensive and the times I have had a big bill, I just suck it up and put it on the credit card. I then live very frugally until the bill is paid off. I do pay for horse insurance too, just to make sure my horse can have the medical care he needs in case of a emergency. I would never dream of asking anyone for money.

11 members found this post helpful.

I was on reddit and saw a woman got more money from her indigogo drive (like gofundme) than I was able to get via small business loan. She is opening a shop like mine on the west coast. It made me feel frustrated, sick, and a little jealous as I continue to fight my way through the early days of my start up that is completely funded by me (or my credit).

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmedHope View Post
    See that's one I can get behind 100%! Not only would it save that little girls life, but a successful trial like that could eventually save the life of millions in the future!

But things like this?

http://www.gofundme.com/8hshlw

http://www.gofundme.com/Johny-Amerika

http://www.gofundme.com/5uq3y4

COME ON!

Actually if you read closely, the last one is just supposed to make it easy for their friends and family to give them gifts, not to get free money. The other two

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    But when it just looks like a grub for money by a private person, that's where I draw the line. If you've been irresponsible with money, it's not my job to pay for your late mortgage/pet's surgery/trip to the Caribbean. I've seen individual people raising money on there to "rescue" a horse. BS. You want other people to buy you a horse.
    ^^This^^ I know of a local woman who posted on Gofundme, asking for donations to help pay for lap band surgery. She claimed that once she had the surgery, she would be compelled to exercise and eat better PLUS, she would be able to "land a man."

This same woman sold her son's horse to pay for a Boys to Men cruise. Yep, she's a real winner.
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post

Yes, some people do. Because everyone deserves a horse.

http://www.gofundme.com/10pqug

http://www.gofundme.com/4jo0s4

Quote Originally Posted by PonyPenny View Post
    Yes, some people do. Because everyone deserves a horse.

http://www.gofundme.com/10pqug

http://www.gofundme.com/4jo0s4
    Anyone notice the $$ goal?
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by kathy s. View Post
    Anyone notice the $$ goal?
    Haha I did. The next crowd funding will be for hospital bills, because the girls wanted to be trainers...

You know, I thought Richard Spooner's crowd funding was super tacky, but at least he offered something in return depending on how much you donated.

If people want to put up sites to fund things like cameras, who care? No one has to donate. And if it coming across FB feeds just had them when you see them or ignore them. I wouldn't personally donate to a fund for a camera, a vacation or whatever like that; I would absolutely donate to something that is for a good cause.

I didn't ever ask for money here on COTH, but I remember asking what people would think of a benefit for me to help with bills and expenses due to my chronic illness. IMO that thread turned into a train wreck. I wasn't even going to use a site but rather have a benefit event where people could attend and actually get something out of it rather than just sending money. I prefer to see things done like that but benefits take a long time to organize and are time consuming.

I am more than happy, if I have the money, to donate to a good cause to someone in need. We all need help sometimes. And if these sites allow for that then by all means people should use them.

Bottom line for me is, if you don't like it and don't think it is a reasonable cause, don't donate. Simple as that.

This gofund me stuff ticks me off. I have a friend who's husband is in the Army. Their son has a seriouse heart disorder, he is three years old and getting ready to undergo his THIRD surgery.
    She has a gofund me account with not only photo's and video's but explanation as to why she is asking for funds. His surgery is not at an Army hospital and their Insurance does not cover motel, food travel expenses. She has had the account for sometime now and has raised less than a grand.
    What ticks me off is woman can go on set up an account post pictures and ask for money for boob jobs and they end up with thousands in days.

Here is the link to my friends gofundme.
    http://www.gofundme.com/AidensArmy

She is a very bold Mom whom is doing nothing but protecting her son and she shouldn't have to defend him or his illness.

On the one hand some of these people are clearly incredibly tacky and without shame. On the other, the fact that they're begging in this way affects me not in the slightest. In some ways it bothers me LESS than the kids/parents who set up tables right outside the grocery store or whatever and ask if I want to buy cookies on my way in.

In some ways I admire the chutzpah. And if their goal is something ridiculous like a boob job (for purely cosmetic reasons) or a new saddle, I can just chuckle amusedly to myself and think "Not even if I had a cool million or two to spare, honey."
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Some of those are a sign of what has happened to our society, the entitlement mentality.
    Aside from the medical ones, GET A JOB and work hard like the rest of us did.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

11 members found this post helpful.