The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bárðarbunga and other difficult-to-pronouce volcanoes

The geology textbooks are being rewritten this week as the Icelandic volcano Bárðarbunga (BOWR-dthar-Boon-ka) - the biggest volcano of its size, by the way - has been experiencing tremendous and unprecedented quantities of earthquakes, indicating a huge river of magma flowing underneath.

Here are some references for you to learn more:

Bárðarbunga: "It Depends On Whether The Conduit Breaks Into Askja's Caldera" - this author is an American expatriate living in Iceland, and has been writing fascinating accounts both from the science side and the cultural side (alas, no ponies... she works on software for the air traffic control systems).

The latest from VolcanoCafe (what, did you not know that was a Thing? Of course it is!)

Google maps of Iceland are really fun, especially with the local 360 views of some just incredible spots. But, this map:
    http://en.ja.is/kort/?type=map&x=508657&y=515949&z=1
    Has more place names and is more Iceland-centric. (Bárðarbunga is under the Vatnajökull Glacier.)

It seems at this point that the question is not if but when there will be some sort of eruption. We can keep hoping for something small and showy that's good for tourism, rather than something big and nasty and explosive and ashy.

(And ideally, if it does have to be ashy, maybe it can wait until after all the horses are safely home from WEG!)
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

1 members found this post helpful.

I spend 48 hours in Iceland this May on my way home from Europe.

wondrous place. One the flight from London I met a young woman who was going to rent a car and drive the ring road around the island.

that is, for sure, the type of holiday I want some day.

I was disappointed it was overcast that we did not get a great view away or during flyover of the amazing mountains.

the flooding potential here looks more frightening than any ash cloud. I did not know this was a potential conjoining of 2 calderas

1 members found this post helpful.

It sounds to me like the flooding is less likely now because the main magma flow has moved underground north out from under the glacier. But, there are apparently still a lot of options for what could happen.

I used Google Maps to check out some of the amazing waterfalls to the north, and they are incredible. There's also a horseshoe shaped feature from previous volcano-induced floods, Ásbyrgi, that is nicknamed "Sleipnir's footprint," after Odin's 8 legged giant horse (who obviously must have taken a step here ).
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket