The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 81 to 93 of 93
  1. #81
    Join Date
    Jun. 22, 2012
    Posts
    2,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Um, I don't think so. I guess you misread my post? I was adamant that it's not her fault. That they have put her in a bad situation. The manager seemed to agree.
    If the manager admits she's a bad fit for the position yet still has her there, it's a safe assumption that answering the phones is a necessary part of the position she's in. I mean, think about it. If someone outside of your company/industry called up your manager and told him/her that you were a terrible fit for your current position but that's his/her fault and you should be transferred to another position with the company that suits your aptitudes what do you think your manager would do? Most likely replace you!

    As I mentioned in an earlier post, most restaurants don't have a dedicated phone person and most employees do double (or triple, or quadruple) duty. If the employee isn't valuable enough to be a jack of all trades as the restaurant requires, they're most likely going to replace her.

    So yes, you very likely got her fired. I understand that you are going through a hard time and just wanted to not have to think about your dinner last night. I've been overwhelmed and stressed and had something little be the last straw. But I would submit that this person, who it sounds like has a minimal grasp of the predominant language in this country, is going to be in a much tougher spot once she's out of a job. Of course, you had a bad experience and have every right to complain but some frustration with ordering a pizza over the phone (which is pretty much the definition of a "first world problem") IMO does not warrant singling an employee out and likely putting her out of a job.
    Last edited by french fry; Apr. 25, 2014 at 06:46 PM.


    9 members found this post helpful.

  2. #82
    Join Date
    May. 9, 2007
    Posts
    629

    Default

    One day hubby and I were out horse shopping and decided to drive thru a Tim Horton's for lunch. he called our order into the order thingy 'Two ham and cheese,one on whole wheat, the other on white'

    he enunciated this very clearly...the thingy's tend to have bad connections.

    The Tim Horton's lady came back and said ' we don't have chocolate eclairs'

    We were like???? and burst out laughing.'That's OK, because we want ham and cheese sammiches.'

    She said' that's not what I heard'

    incredible


    1 members found this post helpful.

  3. #83

    Default

    Wow. I wonder how many people with speech impediments or difficulties shouldn't be working because it's apparently too much effort to take a bit of extra time to, you know, try to communicate.

    Seriously?

    Not directed at anyone in particular.

    First world.
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...


    4 members found this post helpful.

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Jun. 16, 2011
    Posts
    947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    I often wonder why management doesn't put people who can't make themselves understood over the phone in a different job--making the pizza, in this case!
    My son works at a mom and pop pizza place and there is a lady that has been there fifteen years and she is not allowed to answer the phone or work the counter for just that reason.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Jun. 7, 2006
    Posts
    9,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OnThinIce View Post
    Third, Charlie and Claire both start with the same hard C sound.
    Uh, in what version of English?

    Carly and Claire start with the same hard C sound.

    Charlie is the boy's name that starts with a "Tsch."


    3 members found this post helpful.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    May. 9, 2007
    Location
    Boerne, Texas
    Posts
    843

    Default

    When leaving a name with a food order, my entire extended family uses my husband's name "Pat". No problems.



  7. #87
    Join Date
    Jun. 14, 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    11,372

    Default

    Honestly? Give me a break.

    I managed 300+ people in an overseas office whose English was questionable at times.

    I never fired a single one because someone complained. and I had to take the call. But ya know as a business owner, I learned very quickly that if I wanted to keep business with the Americans, I had better make sure I was putting people on the phones (and we were a call center) who could speak English well. If that meant I needed to train more so be it. But I never fired anyone. And I was ADAMANT with this manager that I had no issues with this young lady. I have a problem with management putting her in that situation.

    THEY suck. She doesn't. And I'm not sure how to make that more clear.

    You're totally right. First world problem that I couldn't order a pizza. BUt from the sounds of it, I wasn't the only one. So they set her up for nothing good. They suck. Not me. Not the other people who complained.

    Honestly, what would you have someone do? She couldn't place the order. How can she do her job if her job is to take orders?




    Quote Originally Posted by french fry View Post
    If the manager admits she's a bad fit for the position yet still has her there, it's a safe assumption that answering the phones is a necessary part of the position she's in. I mean, think about it. If someone outside of your company/industry called up your manager and told him/her that you were a terrible fit for your current position but that's his/her fault and you should be transferred to another position with the company that suits your aptitudes what do you think your manager would do? Most likely replace you!

    As I mentioned in an earlier post, most restaurants don't have a dedicated phone person and most employees do double (or triple, or quadruple) duty. If the employee isn't valuable enough to be a jack of all trades as the restaurant requires, they're most likely going to replace her.

    So yes, you very likely got her fired. I understand that you are going through a hard time and just wanted to not have to think about your dinner last night. I've been overwhelmed and stressed and had something little be the last straw. But I would submit that this person, who it sounds like has a minimal grasp of the predominant language in this country, is going to be in a much tougher spot once she's out of a job. Of course, you had a bad experience and have every right to complain but some frustration with ordering a pizza over the phone (which is pretty much the definition of a "first world problem") IMO does not warrant singling an employee out and likely putting her out of a job.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

    Might be a reason, never an excuse...


    1 members found this post helpful.

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Mar. 30, 2007
    Location
    Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.
    Posts
    12,084

    Default

    Just for future reference, you can now place an order via their website, so you don't have to deal with anyone over the phone.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!


    1 members found this post helpful.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Jan. 25, 2005
    Location
    upstate New York
    Posts
    3,455

    Default

    Buddy roo, I get it 100%. No need for explaining yourself. I experience what you describe on a daily basis and it is beyond frustrating.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Jun. 24, 2005
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    9,932

    Default

    I find that when I have a choice of providers for a service, whether food or something else, I go with the company that may not be the cheapest, but has the best customer service. I just picked up my glasses, and I'm sure there are a couple of providers that probably could have saved some money, but their service sucks. Bad customer service can kill a business, and it could be the person taking the orders the other night was a last minute substitute, and normally wouldn't be taking phone orders, but if that person is regularly doing that job, then I'm sure they're losing a lot of business. I'm guessing that the next time you need a pizza you'll find another source, and that's a bad thing for businesses who want to grow and flourish.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White


    3 members found this post helpful.

  11. #91
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2006
    Location
    deep in the CT wilds near...the 200yr flood zone
    Posts
    747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Uh, in what version of English?

    Carly and Claire start with the same hard C sound.

    Charlie is the boy's name that starts with a "Tsch."
    Thanks for the elocution lesson. That's probably why Charlie was chosen to represent the letter C, so there wouldn't be any confusion with the letter K.
    This it be all wot we want in life, wenn peoples dey loff us. ~ Willem



  12. #92
    Join Date
    Jan. 20, 2007
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    891

    Default

    Not even to mention, if they can't make sales, there will be no job to keep!

    (saying essentially the same thing as JanM, that I just saw.)

    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Honestly? Give me a break.

    I managed 300+ people in an overseas office whose English was questionable at times.

    I never fired a single one because someone complained. and I had to take the call. But ya know as a business owner, I learned very quickly that if I wanted to keep business with the Americans, I had better make sure I was putting people on the phones (and we were a call center) who could speak English well. If that meant I needed to train more so be it. But I never fired anyone. And I was ADAMANT with this manager that I had no issues with this young lady. I have a problem with management putting her in that situation.

    THEY suck. She doesn't. And I'm not sure how to make that more clear.

    You're totally right. First world problem that I couldn't order a pizza. BUt from the sounds of it, I wasn't the only one. So they set her up for nothing good. They suck. Not me. Not the other people who complained.

    Honestly, what would you have someone do? She couldn't place the order. How can she do her job if her job is to take orders?
    Last edited by MaybeMorgan; Apr. 25, 2014 at 09:06 PM. Reason: saw JanM's post



  13. #93
    Join Date
    Jul. 7, 2013
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Just for future reference, you can now place an order via their website, so you don't have to deal with anyone over the phone.
    Oh thank goodness! I was contemplating starting a letter writing campaign to rectify this no pizza injustice.



Similar Threads

  1. I just don't understand....
    By LauraKY in forum Off Course
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: Apr. 8, 2014, 01:29 PM
  2. OK....trying to understand this....
    By Freebird! in forum Western
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Feb. 22, 2013, 06:07 PM
  3. I still don't understand what happened
    By oliverreed in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Jun. 14, 2012, 01:40 PM
  4. The SO who wants to understand
    By EquineImagined in forum Off Course
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: May. 15, 2012, 06:11 PM
  5. They Will Never Understand!
    By Heinz 57 in forum Off Course
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: Aug. 24, 2011, 05:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness