The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I lives on Estates Ct. Looks like nothing written down but when you say it you might as well be speaking gibberish. I plan on spelling it at least three times.

Don't they yet make a universal translator like Captain Kirk and Spock used in StarTrek?

Seriously. Just put a button on the phone to turn on the translator mode.

That's probably relatively close on the horizon in our technological progression.

1 members found this post helpful.

The trouble those that have English for a first language don't understand is that English for the rest of us is two different, distinct languages.
    One is the spoken English, the other the written one.
    They phonetics are so crazy in English that you have to disassociate both and learn them as two.

When you are speaking English, don't spell and expect me to "read" what you are spelling, because to me it is a different language from what else you are saying.

I get it if you are spelling slowly, so I can do mental gymnastics.
    If you are running words thru that are mixing together, I can't keep up.

I agree with you that they should not have someone that can't handle orders over the phone working the phone orders, that is what is crazy there, not that some non-native English speaker doesn't understand words when they are being spelled.

There is a good reason English is the only language where you have spelling bees.
    It is the only language where phonetics don't correspond to the written word.
    The whole language is about exceptions to those rules, while other indo-european languages you pronounce every letter in a word, bar a few exceptions easy to learn, so you don't have to spell, you already do when you are speaking.

3 members found this post helpful.

I work in a medical office and field a lot of calls. People mumble and people have heavy, rarely discernible accents (thank you off-shore insurance companies. I hate you). When I speak on the phone I carefully enunciate. 60 sounds like 50. You have said your name thousands of times, but it is new to me. Enunciate you dumb &£÷$! I find myself getting more frustrated every day. Are people really getting dumber/less literate by the day??

6 members found this post helpful.

I can NEVER order pizza without getting the wrong thing and getting the kid completely confused. I don't know why. Mr. Ez, even little Miss Ez says the exact same thing I do and they get what they ordered.

I say I want the 2 for 1 special. That's the name of it. 2 for 1 and the topping group is call the special. How hard is that? And ALL their pizzas are 2 for 1 "low price"..their words, not mine.

So I get asked how many pizzas I want. What toppings do I want.

It's TWO pizzas for one low price you moron...read your ad! And it's the Special...read your menu; it says what toppings come on the "Special".

This is in a small, Michigan town. No accents, nothing "foreign", high school kids.

Sad Sad Sad.
    Ride like you mean it.

I once attempted to call in a license plate to a dispatcher who sounded 100% fluent in English.

The license plate began with GB.

At first he repeated, "DB?" Understandable, dees and bees sound alike over the phone sometimes. So I said,
    "No, GB, like Great Britain."
    "BD?"
    "GB, like the country Great Britain."
    "....D?"
    "LIKE THE COUNTRY GREAT BRITAIN."

Wtf.

4 members found this post helpful.

Some of us ex-military understand the D as in Delta thing quite well, thank you very much.

OscarLimaDelta BravoRomeoOscarAlphaDelta HotelEchoRomeoEcho!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

11 members found this post helpful.

no, seriously, people who can minimally communicate in the common language OF THE COUNTRY YOU ARE LIVING IN is a "special skill"?

Quote "Want people that speak perfect English? They demand to be paid more, they have an additional skill, and well, then your pizza is going to cost a bit more as well. "

7 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    I just tried to order a damned pizza.

I gave my address 4 times spelling it out with the usual D as in Delta, A as in Alfa...whatevs. Child of a HAM radio operator, I know how to talk it. I did it FOUR TIMES and they still didn't get it so I just said no thanks.

I never got to the point of ordering a freaking pizza.

It is tremendously frustrating to me that I have to learn another language just to get service around here.

I am normally very kind and patient. But it's a pizza. FFS, how hard does it have to be? Why do businesses hire people to answer the phones and take orders when they cannot speak English in the US?

I am feeling like an a-hole for being mad but on the other hand, I'm pissed because I am normally good about this and even so, this person on the other end of the line cannot understand me.
    Fess up woman! Who did you order from?! You need to just order online or via your smartphone because all the pizza places are owned and operated by immigrants except for Papa Johns and Dominos.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

QUOTE--

I've lost 30 lbs since my husband left. REALLY?[/QUOTE]

oh really? for how long does he have to be gone to lose 30 pounds?

BuddyRoo, are you a secret Domino's plant???

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/72SF/dominos-pizza-phone-orders

2 members found this post helpful.

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeMorgan View Post
    oh please. If it was a native-born, US speaker with poor language skills would you be making these kinds of excuses?
    To me, the point is not the language, it is the inability of the person to do the required job. In this case, it was a language barrier. If my father had that job, the problem would be because he cannot hear. It wouldn't be trashing deaf people to be incredibly annoyed at the fact that you had poor customer service, resulting also in a lost sale for the business. BuddyRoo, I'd mention it to the store.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

9 members found this post helpful.

I'm generally very patient with non-native English speakers... In many cases having a job where they have to pick up better English skills in order to do a good job (and move on to the next, hopefully better job) causes them to do... exactly that. I can't criticize someone who's trying to improve.

But. I make an exception for certain things. For myself, it's any tech support related to my insulin pump and glucose sensor. I won't even try to get through a tech support call, in this case, with someone who cannot understand me and/or who I can't understand. And I've let the company that makes this equipment know... These things are NOT cheap, and cutting corners by sending tech support or a life-sustaining medical device to India is not OK in my book. Unfortunately I have only a few choices of companies, and if one is doing it, the rest probably are, too.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    That's the name of it. 2 for 1 and the topping group is call the special. How hard is that? And ALL their pizzas are 2 for 1 "low price"..their words, not mine.

So I get asked how many pizzas I want. What toppings do I want.

It's TWO pizzas for one low price you moron...read your ad! And it's the Special...read your menu; it says what toppings come on the "Special".

This is in a small, Michigan town. No accents, nothing "foreign", high school kids.
    Just coming from someone with a lot of friends in food service....there is literally nothing unusual about someone ordering a "named" (Ultra Veggie Crunch, or whatever) pizza and then saying "Except instead of the red peppers can I get green, and no olives, and add mushrooms but only on half, and can it all be with pesto instead of red sauce?" until they have morphed it into something that's entirely NOT their special.

So it's not that unusual for experienced waitstaff, at places where this is likely to happen, to just confirm everything.

Semi tangent, but I have a super strange last name and I hate when people try to stop me spelling it out.

'Oh just say your last name, I'm sure I'll figure it out, I have a weird one too'

No, shush, its not even remotely phonetic nor is it any common ethnicity. I've lived with it for 21 years, I KNOW you can't spell it, just trust me!!

If you called from a cell phone you might have had a bad connection, add language, and background noise and tada! you have a problem understanding the customer on the phone. If you really wanted pizza you needed to ask for someone else to take your order.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    I just tried to order a damned pizza.

I gave my address 4 times spelling it out with the usual D as in Delta, A as in Alfa...whatevs. Child of a HAM radio operator, I know how to talk it. I did it FOUR TIMES and they still didn't get it so I just said no thanks.

I never got to the point of ordering a freaking pizza.

It is tremendously frustrating to me that I have to learn another language just to get service around here.

I am normally very kind and patient. But it's a pizza. FFS, how hard does it have to be? Why do businesses hire people to answer the phones and take orders when they cannot speak English in the US?

I am feeling like an a-hole for being mad but on the other hand, I'm pissed because I am normally good about this and even so, this person on the other end of the line cannot understand me.
    Your not an A hole.. the manager of the shop is for putting someone on the order phones like that. I wonder how many non orders will happen to them as a result. IDIOT. I have spoken on the phone to Tech support or some such for who knows what and cannot understand the person and have said so and asked for a supervisor. It is just not the way to do business. This is still America. Well it used to be.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

3 members found this post helpful.

At work we ordered pizza, and pasta dishes. The address and other information was already in their computer, and about 45 minutes later the driver called. Yes, they were on the wrong part of post, someone had ignored the directions, and ended up miles away. The kicker to all of this is, after the order finally arrived, and Terry looked in her food container, they had omitted the chicken and other toppings in her pasta. All that driving, and it was really screwed up. It's not always when you don't understand each other apparently.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    I agree its frustrating, but I am guessing the person who takes orders at a fast food pizza place probably isn't getting paid top dollar.
    If they're not competent enough to take a simple order over the phone they're not worth minimum wage.

Why make excuses for these nincompoops? Unfortunately, they're found everywhere no matter how much they're paid. And not just with the English as a second people either

What ever happened to the "if the job's worth doing, it's worth doing to the best of your ability" mentality? I was raised that way and it has never steered me wrong.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rcloisonne View Post
    If they're not competent enough to take a simple order over the phone they're not worth minimum wage.

Why make excuses for these nincompoops? Unfortunately, they're found everywhere no matter how much they're paid. And not just with the English as a second people either

What ever happened to the "if the job's worth doing, it's worth doing to the best of your ability" mentality? I was raised that way and it has never steered me wrong.
    EXACTLY right!!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.