The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 93
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun. 14, 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    11,372

    Default So I'm an a-hole...when you can't understand me and i can't understand you

    I just tried to order a damned pizza.

    I gave my address 4 times spelling it out with the usual D as in Delta, A as in Alfa...whatevs. Child of a HAM radio operator, I know how to talk it. I did it FOUR TIMES and they still didn't get it so I just said no thanks.

    I never got to the point of ordering a freaking pizza.

    It is tremendously frustrating to me that I have to learn another language just to get service around here.

    I am normally very kind and patient. But it's a pizza. FFS, how hard does it have to be? Why do businesses hire people to answer the phones and take orders when they cannot speak English in the US?

    I am feeling like an a-hole for being mad but on the other hand, I'm pissed because I am normally good about this and even so, this person on the other end of the line cannot understand me.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

    Might be a reason, never an excuse...


    7 members found this post helpful.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr. 12, 2002
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,905

    Default

    I order my pizza online to avoid just this sort of thing.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :


    14 members found this post helpful.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct. 1, 2004
    Location
    Magnolia, TX
    Posts
    5,779

    Default

    I tend to order via smartphone app these days, but I can't say that's a problem often encountered in my neck of the woods.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr. 17, 2002
    Location
    between the barn and the pond
    Posts
    14,495

    Default

    Make dinner.


    21 members found this post helpful.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan. 18, 2008
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    501

    Default

    While I agree that that is frustrating, keep in mind that we do not have a national language. I certainly do think, however, that it is poor customer service to have someone who cannot do the job taking orders. Unwise and costing them business (like you).


    8 members found this post helpful.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct. 18, 2000
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    8,096

    Default

    I Hear you, BR!

    You should have heard me trying to deal with AT&T computer tech support in India. I couldn't understand a thing the man said. Had to hand the phone over to Mr.Chief2, who could understand the whole thing. When you realize that I regularly deal with families from Korea, Japan and Europe where English is the second or third language, the tech incident becomes even more ridiculous! Totally frustrating. I felt like an idiot.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

    http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun. 14, 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    11,372

    Default

    I think what got my goat most is that I'm usually the one defending the accent issues, the language issues, etc. To my friends, family, colleagues.

    Having worked abroad, I realize that the people trying to do business in English, often their second or third language, are crazy smart. I can't do that! So I try to be cool.

    But damn. It was a PIZZA. I order pizza about once every 3 mos. I really didn't want to cook tonight. My husband has been gone for 6 mos, I hate cooking for myself, it's a struggle to eat AT ALL, and pizza sounded good. Better than not eating. So I went for it. And then bam.

    Cannot even take my freaking order.

    I went to the store and got lunch meat.

    I've lost 30 lbs since my husband left. So when I really have an appetite, it's kind of nice to feed it. I'm frustrated in more than one way. But really...they can't take my order because they can't understand my A, B, C type explanation of my address? REALLY?
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

    Might be a reason, never an excuse...


    3 members found this post helpful.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun. 14, 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    11,372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Make dinner.
    Helpful! Thanks. I love to cook. But not just for me. And since my husband and skids are gone, I have no good reason to cook. Which is why I wanted a pizza. But thanks for the judgy stuff. I am making dinner now...it's called salad bar from the grocery store. I hate cooking without people to enjoy it.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

    Might be a reason, never an excuse...


    24 members found this post helpful.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep. 8, 2006
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    2,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thames Pirate View Post
    While I agree that that is frustrating, keep in mind that we do not have a national language.
    National language or no, people should be able to speak the language of, and be understood by, those with whom they frequently interact to do business. That's just common sense. That store lost business because the employee could not understand the OP.

    Not to mention pissing off BuddyRoo!
    "Business!” cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. “Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business.”


    14 members found this post helpful.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar. 14, 2004
    Location
    Left coast, left wing, left field
    Posts
    6,530

    Default

    This is not a criticism because I know it's frustrating. But nobody under the age of 30 seems to have any knowledge of the "A as in apple" stuff. Particularly the ones that use older, less common words. Like "D as in delta". What's a Delta? In fact I remember some Internet meme, possibly from cake wrecks, in which a cake was decorated with the "as in XXXX" phrases instead of the initials the customer was trying for. Maybe nothing would've worked, but as soon as you mentioned that, I could tell you were on the road to disaster, and no pizza.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

    Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?


    3 members found this post helpful.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct. 26, 2007
    Location
    San Jose, Ca
    Posts
    5,684

    Default

    I agree its frustrating, but I am guessing the person who takes orders at a fast food pizza place probably isn't getting paid top dollar.

    Want people that speak perfect English? They demand to be paid more, they have an additional skill, and well, then your pizza is going to cost a bit more as well.

    In the end, we get what we pay for.

    Generally, I am either going to order from the mom and pop place, where 'Tony' the owner's son answers the phone - and I am going to pay more, and they aren't going to deliver.

    OR I order from the cheap, big chain place, where I can place my order through an app - and not have to worry about trying to communicate with their low paid staff.


    11 members found this post helpful.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct. 26, 2007
    Location
    San Jose, Ca
    Posts
    5,684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    This is not a criticism because I know it's frustrating. But nobody under the age of 30 seems to have any knowledge of the "A as in apple" stuff. Particularly the ones that use older, less common words. Like "D as in delta". What's a Delta? In fact I remember some Internet meme, possibly from cake wrecks, in which a cake was decorated with the "as in XXXX" phrases instead of the initials the customer was trying for. Maybe nothing would've worked, but as soon as you mentioned that, I could tell you were on the road to disaster, and no pizza.


    Very true! I have a long last name - that most people can't spell. I stay away from the "deltas" etc. What I use instead is common names:

    N as in Nancy
    D as in David
    E as in Edward
    B as in Brian
    F as in Frank

    Might not work that well for people not familiar with american names, but so far, I have not had much trouble with this.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct. 25, 2012
    Posts
    5,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    I just tried to order a damned pizza.

    I gave my address 4 times spelling it out with the usual D as in Delta, A as in Alfa...whatevs. Child of a HAM radio operator, I know how to talk it. I did it FOUR TIMES and they still didn't get it so I just said no thanks.

    I never got to the point of ordering a freaking pizza.

    It is tremendously frustrating to me that I have to learn another language just to get service around here.

    I am normally very kind and patient. But it's a pizza. FFS, how hard does it have to be? Why do businesses hire people to answer the phones and take orders when they cannot speak English in the US?

    I am feeling like an a-hole for being mad but on the other hand, I'm pissed because I am normally good about this and even so, this person on the other end of the line cannot understand me.
    This has happened to me a bunch lately, mostly attempting to get a straight answer out of Insurance Companies . . .

    So when it's apparent I've been bumped to the noob division of the call center in Outer Bangalore, I say politely, "I'm sorry, but I can't understand you. Please put another representative on the line."

    I've never had it not work--they tend to transfer you to Joe English gratefully!


    5 members found this post helpful.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun. 14, 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    11,372

    Default

    I know, I know. If my Mom were telling me this, I'd be up her bum about how people come to this country and do their level best and damnit, they're speaking a second or third language.

    I was hungry when I posted. Sorry. I'm not hungry now.

    But I live I tried D as in David, D as in Delta, D as in dog, D as in David again.

    I also tried N as in Nancy, N as in Never, N as in Night, N as in ...hell I don't know.

    I tried every combo I could think of.

    And this is not a cheap place! This is kind of a nice place!

    I totally do understand that people who come here and take these jobs are AMAZING because they're bilingual. But if they really aren't bilingual? I mean, I couldn't order a pizza?!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

    Might be a reason, never an excuse...


    1 members found this post helpful.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May. 4, 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    14,877

    Default

    Try:

    A for' orses
    Beef or mutton
    Seaforth Highlanders

    You have to say it out loud to understand it.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique


    3 members found this post helpful.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan. 20, 2007
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    I agree its frustrating, but I am guessing the person who takes orders at a fast food pizza place probably isn't getting paid top dollar.

    Want people that speak perfect English? They demand to be paid more, they have an additional skill, and well, then your pizza is going to cost a bit more as well.

    In the end, we get what we pay for.

    Generally, I am either going to order from the mom and pop place, where 'Tony' the owner's son answers the phone - and I am going to pay more, and they aren't going to deliver.

    OR I order from the cheap, big chain place, where I can place my order through an app - and not have to worry about trying to communicate with their low paid staff.
    oh please. If it was a native-born, US speaker with poor language skills would you be making these kinds of excuses?


    3 members found this post helpful.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr. 25, 2007
    Posts
    1,342

    Default

    Not to derail but I recently was speaking with a person in our retiree benefits group about a document I had to send them and I asked if a Xerox would do or did they need an original and the young lady said... and I quote" What's a Xerox?" I had to explain that before computers and scanners etc that their were machines that just made copies! She didn't know that...way to make me feel old!


    8 members found this post helpful.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2000
    Location
    Rochester,NY,USA
    Posts
    7,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    National language or no, people should be able to speak the language of, and be understood by, those with whom they frequently interact to do business. That's just common sense. That store lost business because the employee could not understand the OP.

    Not to mention pissing off BuddyRoo!
    I understand just where you're coming from. Yes, it's very frustrating.

    Several yrs ago, 11 to be exact, I was shopping for a PC for home. I went into one store and the gentleman that came to help me was from India I believe and had an extremely heavy accent. After about 3 minutes I finally told him I was have serious difficulty understanding him and could someone else please come and help me. I have no doubt he probably knew as much if not more that the person that came to help me but if I couldn't understand him, it did neither the store or me no good.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!


    1 members found this post helpful.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct. 26, 2007
    Location
    San Jose, Ca
    Posts
    5,684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaybeMorgan View Post
    oh please. If it was a native-born, US speaker with poor language skills would you be making these kinds of excuses?
    umm yes, I would. If you are native born, and are so uneducated and unskilled that you can't take an order over the phone - you are probably going to get the very worst of jobs, and be paid minimum wage (or less).

    "Bob" who can barely speak English despite being born here, is not going to have the same job opportunities, or get paid then same amount as "Jeff" who can at least put a sentence together.

    Its along the same lines of "don't want illegals picking your fruit? Get ready to pay more for that fruit".

    People who can't speak english, or are here illegally get paid less than people who have papers or can speak english perfectly.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct. 25, 2012
    Posts
    5,067

    Default

    I often wonder why management doesn't put people who can't make themselves understood over the phone in a different job--making the pizza, in this case!


    6 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. I just don't understand....
    By LauraKY in forum Off Course
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: Apr. 8, 2014, 02:29 PM
  2. OK....trying to understand this....
    By Freebird! in forum Western
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Feb. 22, 2013, 07:07 PM
  3. I still don't understand what happened
    By oliverreed in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Jun. 14, 2012, 02:40 PM
  4. The SO who wants to understand
    By EquineImagined in forum Off Course
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: May. 15, 2012, 07:11 PM
  5. They Will Never Understand!
    By Heinz 57 in forum Off Course
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: Aug. 24, 2011, 06:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness