The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hunt the Good Stuff or Daily HUGs

I think we need some more optimism and positive posts, after all optimism is contagious!!

I finished a week long course on Resiliency training for the Army. I'm really glad I did it and have been using the skills I picked up on a daily basis and feel all the better for it. One of the the most basic skills was "Hunt the Good Stuff" or HUGs. Every day find at least 3 good things that happened to you, hopefully you can see what a difference something as small as "I got to work 5min early" can do to change your attitude some days. I've been keeping a journal of my HUGs for nearly 3 weeks now(unheard of!) and I can honestly say I'm not wallowing around in my own self pity nearly as much (hey, I'm not perfect!). Is it a little bit of bragging? Maybe, but sharing each other's joyful moments can bring joy to everyone!

I will start:

- While trailering my horse to the new boarding stable, my favorite classical piece, "Pictures at an Exhibition", came on the radio. I've seen it performed live twice, performed a short medley once and still love this music!!

- I found out my dressage times for my first show with Bro and I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to get ready!

-(best for last) I've been hired for a full time position!!! I've been unemployed for that past 19 months and scraping by with extra work and training with the Army. I start next week!

It doesn't have to be 3, just something good that happened to you today!

2 members found this post helpful.

Love the idea! I had a really good ride today, did some dressage, a few 2'3- 2'6 cross country jumps, a few tiny cross country jumps and horsie had plenty of energy for it all! Feeling super confident for my show next week.?

Oh and congrats on the job!

Maddiehorse: Good luck at your show, sounds like you two are on the right path!

Come on everyone, start sharing and spreading the good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Heliodoro View Post
    I think we need some more optimism and positive posts, after all optimism is contagious!!

I finished a week long course on Resiliency training for the Army. I'm really glad I did it and have been using the skills I picked up on a daily basis and feel all the better for it. One of the the most basic skills was "Hunt the Good Stuff" or HUGs. Every day find at least 3 good things that happened to you, hopefully you can see what a difference something as small as "I got to work 5min early" can do to change your attitude some days. I've been keeping a journal of my HUGs for nearly 3 weeks now(unheard of!) and I can honestly say I'm not wallowing around in my own self pity nearly as much (hey, I'm not perfect!). Is it a little bit of bragging? Maybe, but sharing each other's joyful moments can bring joy to everyone!

I will start:

- While trailering my horse to the new boarding stable, my favorite classical piece, "Pictures at an Exhibition", came on the radio. I've seen it performed live twice, performed a short medley once and still love this music!!

- I found out my dressage times for my first show with Bro and I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to get ready!

-(best for last) I've been hired for a full time position!!! I've been unemployed for that past 19 months and scraping by with extra work and training with the Army. I start next week!

It doesn't have to be 3, just something good that happened to you today!
    Just wanted to say Mussorgsky also makes me stop and listen, that piece, especially The Old Castle, is some of my favorites.
    So was it one of the the favorites of my border collie when I played it on the shepherd's whistle, she swooned to it.

Just reading what you said and the memories that brings can be said to be my first HUG of today, thank you.

Now looking forward to perhaps a few more.

Along the same lines - when I was younger, I was almost paralyzed by depression. I could do nothing. I got out of it by finding the smallest piece of something that I needed to do, just do it, only that piece, and congratulate myself for doing it. That enabled me to feel good about something, which enabled me to try to do the next, small piece. I think that what worked was not just doing small task, but recognizing that I did something and enabling myself to feel good about it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicky View Post
    Along the same lines - when I was younger, I was almost paralyzed by depression. I could do nothing. I got out of it by finding the smallest piece of something that I needed to do, just do it, only that piece, and congratulate myself for doing it. That enabled me to feel good about something, which enabled me to try to do the next, small piece. I think that what worked was not just doing small task, but recognizing that I did something and enabling myself to feel good about it.
    I truly believe that happiness is a choice you have to make for yourself every single moment of every day. I was also a very depressed teen/young adult, and did this very thing you mentioned above. Celebrating small victories, which then allows you to find joy in other things. It's really interesting, looking back, how I've been able to "retrain my brain" to be happy and positive. I think a lot of it had to do with just growing up, too, but I wake up every day choosing to be happy and positive and grateful for everything in my life. It's awesome.

1 members found this post helpful.

1. A suggestion I made at work was implemented, saving countless hours of mindless paperwork!
    2. Spent some quality time with my teenage son this morning reminding him how wonderful he is. And he let me.
    3. It is Friday, which means I have my riding lesson tomorrow

(thank you for this thread and congrats to Heliodoro)

I had a nice off-site lunch with my work friends today.

trying hard here to make lemonade from lemons, so here goes.
    I think we dodged a bullet by not taking the job for which we traveled 800 miles to interview.

Oh suz, I am sorry that it did not work out! But you had an experience - a trip, met new people, saw new things... {{{{{{{{{{suz and DH}}}}}}}}}

thanks wick, I feel like a dummy but dh says no biggie, we'll make it up. and thank gaia we have a good gig we will return to in ten days.

In AA and ALANON, this is called "an Attitude of Gratitude"

and is something I strive to practice everyday.

It can often be, "The light of the sunset is beautiful and here I am walking, alive, and able to appreciate looking at it."