The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stupid/funny technology goof

Let me preface this by saying that I almost never talk on the phone anymore. Most of my communication is by text or email. And for both of those, I usually dictate the message into my phone. I'm dictating now, in fact. I do go back and check for typos and autocorrects but still find that it's a timesaver.

So I just had to leave a voicemail for the car mechanic of the person whose car I backed into a month or so ago. I wanted to let him know how I would be paying her invoice. And in the middle of my message, where a pause would be appropriate, I said the word "comma"! Oh dear! Soon I'll be speaking my punctuation marks in everyday conversation!

Do you have any funny or pathetic stories about how technology has messed with your mind?
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

3 members found this post helpful.

I prefer texting over calling, so the people I talk to most on the phone are my parents. When I ordered a pizza last night I ended with "okay, love you, bye."

5 members found this post helpful.

Those are both funny and totally believable. I've sent a text message before that included cursing (it had the letters blanked out, though, because my phone does that) because I was so frustrated with my Siri app! I didn't edit carefully before sending, and OOPS.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmoody View Post
    Those are both funny and totally believable. I've sent a text message before that included cursing (it had the letters blanked out, though, because my phone does that) because I was so frustrated with my Siri app! I didn't edit carefully before sending, and OOPS.
    I use voice text on my phone and I also happen to have a vocabulary like a drunken sailor, especially when agitated. I found out my phone doesn't approve of swearing when I got rear-ended last summer on my way to meet my SO for dinner after work. I sent my SO a text telling him I would be late, which went something like (probably with more swearing): Can't f****** believe I got f****** rear-ended again, get there when I can. He sent a text back asking if I was being funny or if I really thought I needed to censor my texts. I went back and read what I sent and sure enough, my phone figured I shouldn't be swearing and censored me. I was laughing so hard at that I couldn't stay mad.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt
    Wild Maple Designs - Equestrian inspired apparel.

1 members found this post helpful.

JoZ is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

I know that my phone is perfectly accepting of profanity. In fact I have to be careful, because if I use a similar-sounding word, I might get the swear it has already "learned". There've been a couple of near misses on work emails.

I kept one that was just a masterpiece. I was dictating while I was driving, and missed the turnoff. And I was late, and there was a lot of traffic, and no way to turn around easily. I am not a road rage type driver, and even in this case nobody would've known that I stopped midsentence and spewed a very colorful line of swear words. Here it is. The one I just put asterisks in for COTH came through in its actual form as spoken. But all the other ones were growled swears as well, and even at the time I had no idea how it got to this sentence!

"Don't play the Mountain dog art Starbucks f***ing cats audio"
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

2 members found this post helpful.

At various points in my life I have spent time answering phones. On more than one occasion I have answered my personal phone with the business greeting only to confuse myself and the friend/relative on the other end.

I've done all of these with the exception of saying comma, and telling the pizza guy I loved him
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl