The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New Trailer Pricing?

I have been looking for a used 2H straight load gooseneck trailer with a dressing room but just can't seem to find what I am looking for in my area. So now I'm starting to think about new trailers, but I have no clue how the pricing works. Is list price 'the price' or is it like cars where there is a fair amount of negotiating room between list price and what they will actually sell it for? Unfortunately there's no Blue Book or Edmunds for horse trailers!

While you may be able to negotiate "a little", my experience with trailer dealers is that the price is the price. You may have more leverage if you are special ordering with options and/or if you are using financing obtained through the dealer.

I bought a new trailer last fall and the dealer did negotiate. I ordered exactly what I wanted, and he came down in price as we went back and forth over what I wanted. I had done my research, though, and had a dealer in another state willing to deal, so used that to negotiate.

Like you, though, the first time I bought a trailer many years ago, I thought they wouldn't deal, and paid full price....only to realize later that it never hurts to at least try. Arm yourself with information, though.

when I bought my new trailer, there was a fair amount of negotiating. I kept going back and forth over all the dream options that I wanted, and we kept haggling over the price. I had decided on the basic floorplan and then we kept adding and subtracting the different options to keep it under a certain price. In the end, the dealer threw in a couple more options and kept the price where I wanted it. I also ordered it in Nov and the factory was very slow for the winter so they were eager to get an order in. It was delivered in Feb. I told them to take their time since I wasnt going to use it over the winter.

My trailer was completely customized (length, width, doors, etc) and I was able to negotiate before it was built. But I am sure if an existing trailer was sitting on the lot for a long while, the dealer would be more willing to negotiate to move it. The problem is that the more popular styles tend to move fast.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky213 View Post
    when I bought my new trailer, there was a fair amount of negotiating. I kept going back and forth over all the dream options that I wanted, and we kept haggling over the price. I had decided on the basic floorplan and then we kept adding and subtracting the different options to keep it under a certain price. In the end, the dealer threw in a couple more options and kept the price where I wanted it. I also ordered it in Nov and the factory was very slow for the winter so they were eager to get an order in. It was delivered in Feb. I told them to take their time since I wasnt going to use it over the winter.

My trailer was completely customized (length, width, doors, etc) and I was able to negotiate before it was built. But I am sure if an existing trailer was sitting on the lot for a long while, the dealer would be more willing to negotiate to move it. The problem is that the more popular styles tend to move fast.
    I'm curious what brand you bought and from where. I'm in MA as well and I am really struggling to find a dealer who will be at all reasonable about prices. Sure, they'll haggle, but they're $4000 over another dealer who publishes prices, so I'm not actually getting any sort of deal...

I just bought a 2H BP about a month ago and there was no room for negotiation. The trailer was a custom run that the dealer does with a manufacturer and IMO a very nice trailer and good value for the price, but I tried to get him down anyway and he wouldn't budge, I'm sure if I had cash in hand it may have been a different story. Like a lot of people commented, I'm sure there would be some more wiggle room if you were going more of a custom route.

I think a lot depends on what you're buying.

If you're looking for a fairly "spartan" model there won't be much "water" in the price. That's pretty well taken care of by the proliferation of internet sales.

If you're looking for more features then the "add ons" grow the seller's potential profit margin and they can "talk" more.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Dickering down will depend on the dealers starting point, some dealers list at a "suggested retail" which varies between manufacturers, then there may be room for price reductions... Some folks who do not like to "dicker" just pay the list price... Other dealers may price where they need to be to stay open and make a profit in which case there may be no or very little room to "dicker". Decide exactly what you want and get a couple of quotes, go with the best quote as long as you are comfortable with the seller.

( love the word dicker, hate to dicker, dad always wanted a store called "Will Dickers" )

Risa
    HappyTrailsTrailers. com
    BalancedRideTrailers.com

I just bought a new trailer today and we negotiated quite a bit. Don't be afraid to make an offer!

Compare prices by calling several dealers. I got my new Sundowner from Coast to Coast Trailers in Ocala,FL. They delivered it to me in Virginia. For a lower price than my local trailer wanted for the basic model, I got the trailer with all of the options I wanted, including drop down feed doors.

Not sure if it is worth the trip for you down to PA but DiBella has 2 used straight load goosenecks that seem to be what you are looking for. Both 4 Star and Hawk are nice.
    http://www.frankdibella.com/trailers_search

There is also a used 2003 Hawk in Kennet Square PA for $11,000 on craigslist that meets your description. http://lancaster.craigslist.org/grd/4380222779.html
    Kennett Square is about 45 minutes from DiBella's.

If you think the trip down to PA is worth it I would call DiBella. I think they frequently have trailers not listed on the website.

Heck if you are lucky you can come down at the end of May and go see Devon Horse Show while you are in the neighborhood.

Back in 2001 when I got my used horsetrailer I let Jay at DiBella know what I was looking for: price and configuration. A few weeks later a trailer came in that met met my specs. I told him I would buy it sight unseen. Came down, sat down started the paperwork with Frank before I even saw the trailer. It was in exactly the condition described by Jay and I still have that trailer.
    In other words I would trust them on the condition they say it is in. I am also only 15 minutes from them so DH and I could look at anything you might be interested in and send you additional pictures etc... DH would even be willing to crawl under it to look at frame.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

SonnysMom- that 4 Star looks really nice. I am going to call them tomorrow. Thanks!