The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default This is going to sound stupid, but... Trailer help!

Hi everyone,

So I've posted in a few trailer threads around here because I've been pondering getting one for quite some time. However, being a trailer-owning virgin, I really don't know the first thing about towing or where to begin.

I've been most seriously considering a Brenderup or similar trailer that I could tow with my Jeep to avoid getting a second hauling vehicle. However, I don't know what I would have to do my Jeep in order to put a "towing" package on it. I also know there are different models of Brenderups... which ones are the biggest/smallest?

Basically I just don't know where to begin if I get to the point where I'm ready to buy. How do I know I'm doing this right, being safe, etc. I've never even driven or hooked up a trailer on my own.

Start by going to the dealership and finding out if/what you can tow safley with your jeep. Second thing to keep in mind is if your jeep is a heavy enough vehicle to actually STOP a loaded horse trailer. I say this because you did not say which type jeep you drive.
    Last edited by Dressage Fancy; Apr. 28, 2014 at 09:26 AM. Reason: add to post.

1 members found this post helpful.

Same advice here as on the other thread: do a forum search. These questions have been covered very extensively on previous Brenderup threads, and you'll find the stories from other B'up owners helpful.

But to get you started...the "towing package" for a Brenderup is going to be a little different than the towing package you'd need for a traditional trailer. But basically, what you need is a transmission cooler (preferably a big one) and a Class II or III hitch (get a Class III if your vehicle will accept one, it gives you more flexibility for the size of Brenderup you choose + any additional gear you want to throw into the trailer.) Strictly speaking, you can tow a Brenderup without the transmission cooler...but if you value your transmission and/or don't care to have a blown transmission, get the cooler. You do not need a weight distribution hitch, an electric brake box, or any of the other stuff you'd need for a traditional American-style trailer.

Re: different models of Brenderups, the magic Google search term is "Brenderup specifications." I would not expect a Brenderup noob to be able to guess that, so don't feel bad if you didn't figure that out on your own. http://www.bighorsetrailerrental.com..._usa_horse.pdf

I'll leave the other questions to the rabble. But seriously, do a search. It will help you.
    Last edited by jn4jenny; Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    Same advice here as on the other thread: do a forum search.
    This. It's covered ad nauseum. I wouldn't bother asking your dealer about towing horse trailers though -- boat trailer, they could help you, but most don't understand live cargo.
    Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
    We Are Flying Solo

what year/model Jeep are we talking about here?

There are some years/engines/models I would never put a trailer behind due to crap build quality and transmission issues. There are others that can pull a small conventional trailer no problem if properly equipped.

I haul with a 2012 Grand Cherokee Summit with factory tow and the Hemi engine. It performs splendidly for what I ask it to do. Most other Jeep platforms as well as JGC several generations back would not be a good choice for this even with a Euro trailer. Don't even think about it without factory installed towing, too. It's not just the hitch receiver...it's the larger brakes, the extra cooling and the adapted suspension that comes with factory tow. The same applies to other tow vehicles of almost any type, quite frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage Fancy View Post
    Start by going to the dealership and finding out if/what you can tow safley with your jeep. Second thing to keep in mind is if your jeep is a heavy enough vehicle to actually STOP a loaded horse trailer. I say this because you did not say which type jeep you drive.
    I would NOT rely on the dealership to give adequate/safe towing advice. The majority have no clue what it takes to safely tow a HORSE trailer. Thankfully the dealership I've used for years (Dodge) does know but it helps that the first day I walked in there I knew what I was doing and they haven't forgotten that.

Definitely do a search on this board - there are probably a gazillion threads.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Check out Boeckmann trailers too. They are imported into the US now. The website for Maplelane trailers in Canada has a lot of info about what can and can't tow a Boeckmann.

I have one and I tow it with a Hyundai Santa Fe with a 5000 lb tow rating which is way over the minimum specification for a Boeckmann. Pulls really great. The trailer has a special coupler that prevents it from ever pushing on your vehicle. When your car slows down the trailer slows down whether you're hitting your brakes or not.
    ==================
    Somehow my inner ten year old seems to have stolen my chequebook!

http://reriderandpony.blogspot.com/

Chaila, your Böckmann trailer, like all Euro trailers, has inertial brakes that do not depend upon the tow vehicle's electric system and a brake controller. That's what your "special coupler" is all about! I wish that north American trailer manufactures offered this feature, particularly on their lighter models, to provide a simpler towing experience for folks with more modest needs.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I'm asking Santa for a Boeckmann
    Of course that now means I have to be Good for the next 7 months...

And I admit their assertion that a Ford Escape is a suitable tow vehicle did make me
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Do your own research on your vehicle's specs, don't rely on the dealership. Then check out this link to EquiSpirit's site, particularly article, 6. Choosing a Tow Venicle - It's all in the Numbers.

http://www.equispirit.com/info/articles.htm

They have a book, The Complete Guide to Horse Trailers, but offer a lot of good information on the web site.