The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

You go to the place where the decision makers are, and that might not be the horse show.

You get all your friends to go with you.

You make signs that can be read from a distance.

And you just do it.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by PeacefulProtestALTER View Post
    For the record, USDA inspectors are aware of the show and present. Although after seeing that process, my eyes were opened to just how much of a joke it truly is. They're looking for scars, chemical resins, and horses that flinch when their lower legs are touched. That's it.

The stacked horses wearing action devices all pass the inspection with flying colors, even if they are so all over body sore they can barely move.
    The USDA vets are there to enforce the HPA. It has some very specific things that they can inspect for. If they find those things then the horse is ticketed and disqualified for that show. If they don't then the horse passes and it allowed to show, even if it's stacked, wearing chains, etc. It can even show if lame as long as the lameness is not caused by a prohibited practice.

I've known several USDA vets. over the years and never, as in NEVER, have I seen the behavior from them that you ascribe to them. Where are you getting your information?

If you want to bring to the sponsors of this event (i.e., the people putting up the front money to make it happen) the reality of the inherent cruelty of the Big Lick process then I'm all for it.

I've known Mr. Keith Dane, the HSUS guru on this issue, for a very long time. He is good people. I'm a bit disappointed to see him in the company of HSUS but that's his call, not mine. Him I trust; his employers, not so much. But make the call and see what happens.

Make your pitch to whoever you wish, but don't tell lies and don't repeat lies. That only damages your own credibility and makes you out to be a zealot who can be readily ignored.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    The USDA vets are there to enforce the HPA. It has some very specific things that they can inspect for. If they find those things then the horse is ticketed and disqualified for that show. If they don't then the horse passes and it allowed to show, even if it's stacked, wearing chains, etc. It can even show if lame as long as the lameness is not caused by a prohibited practice.

I've known several USDA vets. over the years and never, as in NEVER, have I seen the behavior from them that you ascribe to them. Where are you getting your information?

If you want to bring to the sponsors of this event (i.e., the people putting up the front money to make it happen) the reality of the inherent cruelty of the Big Lick process then I'm all for it.

I've known Mr. Keith Dane, the HSUS guru on this issue, for a very long time. He is good people. I'm a bit disappointed to see him in the company of HSUS but that's his call, not mine. Him I trust; his employers, not so much. But make the call and see what happens.

Make your pitch to whoever you wish, but don't tell lies and don't repeat lies. That only damages your own credibility and makes you out to be a zealot who can be readily ignored.

G.
    Whoa there, now back up. Telling lies and repeating lies? Where are on earth do you get off making that claim?

I am getting my information from my own eyes, and YOU just corroborated my observations in the very same post where you accused me of lying. I highlighted your statement in bold that says the exact same thing I witnessed.

As I stated, the USDA inspections are looking for exactly what I posted: excessive scarring, traces of chemicals (they swab for them), shoe violations, and horses painful to the touch. You can see it for yourself right here:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...64542518,d.dmQ

The general public often thinks that these inspections put an end the atrocities of the Big Lick. They don't. In my opinion, they are a joke. The inspections are looking for cheating in the form of soring, and don't do squat to prevent the pain and wear and tear caused by physically altering a horse's conformation and natural movement.

Be careful taking on local politics in a small town - I am not saying, that you shouldn't do it. But I am doing it right now, and I am being cited for every rule violation in the book they have.

My latest violation was for having a Waste Management Bagster out in my yard, as we are renovating the house. We were cited for 'having a large amount of trash outside the house'. It had been there about 3 weeks, a month is an average time to fill one.

The township came out and measured the gaps in our sidewalk, they couldn't get us for that, as we were within whatever ordinance they have. But as I go to the township meetings, and fight them on their corruption - they are out to get us. If I had known that, I don't think I would have started this war.

Of course the soaring issue is worth standing up to, but just a heads up.

2 members found this post helpful.

Hi Peaceful! No experience with Big Lick issues here, but having spent a fair bit of time in small towns--and doing community organizing around public issues--I have to second the posters above who said don't go alone. Not just because it's potentially dangerous...it's also unlikely to be effective. One person, no matter how passionate and articulate, can be isolated instantly.
    You know the town and its "power structure". You need to find allies and build a coalition, if you will, that is harder to ignore. As said above, starting with horse people but perhaps also clergy, respected professionals, good-minded prominent businessmen/women. Town officials may be open to advocacy if they understand there's a risk of bad press (but I would make the approach to them through one of your "prominent citizens.")
    It can be frustrating because it takes longer, but that's how change in community attitudes usually happens.
    Good luck, you're doing the right thing!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
    Be careful taking on local politics in a small town - I am not saying, that you shouldn't do it. But I am doing it right now, and I am being cited for every rule violation in the book they have.

My latest violation was for having a Waste Management Bagster out in my yard, as we are renovating the house. We were cited for 'having a large amount of trash outside the house'. It had been there about 3 weeks, a month is an average time to fill one.

The township came out and measured the gaps in our sidewalk, they couldn't get us for that, as we were within whatever ordinance they have. But as I go to the township meetings, and fight them on their corruption - they are out to get us. If I had known that, I don't think I would have started this war.

Of course the soaring issue is worth standing up to, but just a heads up.
    This is why outside people come in. It can be inconvenient and just plain dangerous if you live there in some instances.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    This is why outside people come in. It can be inconvenient and just plain dangerous if you live there in some instances.
    I agree with you. Was just trying to give her a heads up of what can happen when you challenge the people in authority in a small town.

My township even measured the distance that we shoveled out the snow around the fire hydrant this winter. Apparently there's an ordinance about that. We didn't get a citation, so we must have been ok.
    When they are out to get you, there's more ordinances than you could imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
    I agree with you. Was just trying to give her a heads up of what can happen when you challenge the people in authority in a small town.

My township even measured the distance that we shoveled out the snow around the fire hydrant this winter. Apparently there's an ordinance about that. We didn't get a citation, so we must have been ok.
    When they are out to get you, there's more ordinances than you could imagine.
    This is also why outside people come in to expose abuse...like the abuse of the TWH. The lives of your animals and your property could be at stake if you are local and they know who you are. I've reported abuse and had to have a friend report it for me...it's not worth taking the chance.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant