The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I just don't understand....

Is it a full moon? One friend is upset that the neighbor(s) in her new community don't like her free ranging cat. They wrote her an anonymous letter saying that the cat is very friendly, too friendly in fact. They say she's out morning, noon and night, tries to sneak into their house. They nicely asked her to follow the law and keep her cat inside or on a leash.

Friend is offended (offended doesn't even begin to cover it) Thinks her cat has a right to be outside (there's a leash law for both cats and dogs in her county). So, the cat is out. When warned the cat might disappear, she says she will not succumb to fear. Crazy.

Next, someone is posting on a group I belong to looking for a foster or short term lease for her horses....because she's being thrown out of her boarding barn and can't afford to move them. She will let you use her tack (kind of her since she won't be paying the bills) but will be very angry if you scratch any of the tack. Oh, and she'll be checking up on you. A lot. One is a trail horse, one is a "show horse", whatever that is. She has to save up to move them.

What the fruitbat?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

3 members found this post helpful.

Wow. If I were the cat I would sure want to succumb to fear and stay inside. That is crazy. If there is a leash law for cats, than she should follow it.
    In the other situation, perhaps the horses and the tack should be for sale. Sad as it is, if you can't afford them then you can't have them. It isn't fair to the horses. I'll be surprised if she finds some open who will put up with her demands and have a feeling that she has a hard lesson coming her way.

2 members found this post helpful.

we don't have loose cats wondering around here, coyotes like to eat them

4 members found this post helpful.

Same here....one of our herd goes out during the day but he came loaded with
    a ton of "street smarts"....never gone toward the road, never more than 100 feet
    from the house with garage door up enough for him to get in. He will follow to the barn if you go and even ride in the Gator, but the older he gets (pushing ten), the closer he stays to the house.

Is it getting to be full moon time again?

I've seen mine lately ranging across the road and I don't like it. If someone made even thinly veiled threats I'd have to rethink their ranging habits, I mean really I'd rather have a live cat than prove a point.

The lady who is out of money - well kudos that she realizes it in the first place and she's trying. She may be trying too hard, I hope she has a realization that she needs to go further for the horses' sakes.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

1 members found this post helpful.

I've never been able to understand those who can keep their cats completely indoors. It's a good thing that in this area, outside, loose cats are not seen as a problem. Mine and my sister's cats both use the restroom outside, even though they are completely litter box trained; it's just what they prefer. My mom's cat is mostly indoor, but does go outside when she feels like it.

I guess if their are rules/laws where your friend lives, she should probably follow them. Could result in hurt/sick kitty, or animal control picking the cat up.

The lady with the horses, how can she not afford to move them? Unless perhaps she's being kicked out of her current barn for financial related issues?

See and I don't understand those that DON'T keep their cats indoors (in the city). Why should cats be allowed to wander anywhere and everywhere? I don't want cat crap in my flower beds, just like I don't want dog crap on the street.

It just amazes me when people just say "its a cat it's supposed to be outside".....stupid pointless saying as any animal should be outside, but guess what, we've made them house pets.......they'll stay inside quite happily, just like my dog.
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

26 members found this post helpful.

I live in a very rural area, and my 9 are essentially indoor cats. I adore my cats and would be heartbroken if they just disappeared or were injured or killed out there. There's also a feral colony that my neighbor feed and I don't need massive cat fights and the fallout fron=m that.

I put up a cat-proof yard for them though so they do get outside but they aren't allowed to roam. They have an L-shaped yard off the back of the house that's about 450sq ft, and I have a cat door insert in my office window. They can come and go as they please, lounge in the sun, watch the birds and squirrels at the feeder, chase bugs, roll in the sand (I'm in the sand belt of SC).

I put out two big sand piles where they seem to like to go to the bathroom, and I bought a mini & fine-tined manure fork to muck out with. Buying a manure fork to clean up after the cats may be the epitome of crazy cat lady!

Anyway, back to the OP - yes there is something in the air (pollen crazies??) because weird folk I know are currently weirder than usual!

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
    See and I don't understand those that DON'T keep their cats indoors (in the city). Why should cats be allowed to wander anywhere and everywhere? I don't want cat crap in my flower beds, just like I don't want dog crap on the street.

It just amazes me when people just say "its a cat it's supposed to be outside".....stupid pointless saying as any animal should be outside, but guess what, we've made them house pets.......they'll stay inside quite happily, just like my dog.
    Ha, agreed!
    Domesticated cats should fend for themselves? In a city, absolutely not.
    And even where I live, in the country,... no.

Coyotes, foxes, bears and other predators, not to mention the drivers who fly at 45 or better on my 35 mph road with limited sight distances.

LauraKY your friend is not thinking from the perspective of her cat, who probably would prefer not to die slowly bleeding to death in a ditch... or be shot at by neighbors, catch a deadly disease, or get taken to a shelter where unwell animals are.
    The friend with the horses... oy vey.
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Ha, agreed!
    Domesticated cats should fend for themselves? In a city, absolutely not.
    And even where I live, in the country,... no.

Coyotes, foxes, bears and other predators, not to mention the drivers who fly at 45 or better on my 35 mph road with limited sight distances.

LauraKY your friend is not thinking from the perspective of her cat, who probably would prefer not to die slowly bleeding to death in a ditch... or be shot at by neighbors, catch a deadly disease, or get taken to a shelter where unwell animals are.
    The friend with the horses... oy vey.
    First, I must say that my cats are indoor/outdoor cats. They are very spoiled barn cats. I don't believe they leave my property...they're always hanging around the barn, the garage and the pastures closest to the house. Lily works days and Penny works nights. Being in the country, we don't have a leash law for cats...although we do have a law against roaming dogs that AC takes very seriously. We do have a huge problem with feral cats here. I speuter all the ones I can catch.

Someone suggested that the cat might be shot to my friend and she said they they couldn't...it's against to law to fire a gun in her town. Yeah but, so is letting your cat roam.

From later conversation it appears the cat is really, really annoying. You know the type that rubs up against your legs, which I find extremely annoying.

I think she's in for an expensive surprise when the complaints are filed with AC.

From later conversation it appears the cat is really, really annoying. You know the type that rubs up against your legs, which I find extremely annoying.
    That sounds like a super friendly cat that needs a new home.

12 members found this post helpful.

What I want to know is why someone would move into some place that had a cat leash law??? That seems crazy to me
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by tabula rashah View Post
    What I want to know is why someone would move into some place that had a cat leash law??? That seems crazy to me
    do you find leash laws for dogs crazy? If not why the double standard? Cats/dogs both are domesticated and both are capable of being leash trained and walked. I don't allow my dog to wander so why should a cat?
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tabula rashah View Post
    I think most urban areas have laws against roaming cats. They certainly did in Baltimore Co., in MD. There's even a law against feeding stray cats.

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
    do you find leash laws for dogs crazy? If not why the double standard? Cats/dogs both are domesticated and both are capable of being leash trained and walked. I don't allow my dog to wander so why should a cat?
    My dogs aren't for vermin control.
    I do not see myself going out on a mouse hunt with my cats.
    (FWIW...spring has sprung and we had 2 in two days....They are much better at it without me)

Oh, and they keep the squirrels semi honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I live next to a flood control channel the coyotes use as a highway, and my yard makes a nice snack stop. I get tired of picking up kitty bits and pieces off my lawn, from people that think it's okay to let fluffums roam. After all, it's been 1, 5, 10 years and the coyotes haven't got him yet, he's road savvy, he doesn't go toooo far from the barn, etc.

Then I go out in the morning, and opps, there's a cat leg...some guts...part of a tail. I wish there was a way to know which bits belong to which owner, I'd bag them up and let them see the consequences of their decision to let fluffums out.

12 members found this post helpful.

Blood Moon in 9 days

Many years ago I lived near a crazy old coot, everything irritated her. Everything! Kids, bikes, cars, you name it, it bugged her. She was one who should have lived on a mountain by herself with supplies lifted in for her own sanity. Anyway, she held that a cat should roam. many neighbors felt a cat should not roam and now that I have a small dog I can understand the not-so-gleeful response to getting Kitty Roca "treasures" dug up out of the gardens One day I heard a commotion a few doors down and went to see Crazy Lady standing next to the chain link fence owned by a WA State Patrolman. WSP's fenced dogs were going wild barking and lunging at the cutest most nicely cared for Gravenstein apple tree-where Crazy's two cats were treed. Yes, in the fenced yard with two dogs, a cop, a wife and a growing number of neighbors. Crazy was LIVID and demanded the horrible dogs be taken care of! And right this instant and how rude the WSP was, what horrible neighbors, and on and on. It was quite the show! Surprisingly, (or not) after that show, she kept the dang cats inside
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Well I hope that it's not a full moon... I work at a hospital and all the crazies come out when the moon is full.

I don't get why she is so offended by the anonymous letter about the cat. Sounds to me like she is breaking the rules and the kitty is being too friendly with the neighbors.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NBChoice View Post
    Well I hope that it's not a full moon... I work at a hospital and all the crazies come out when the moon is full.

I don't get why she is so offended by the anonymous letter about the cat. Sounds to me like she is breaking the rules and the kitty is being too friendly with the neighbors.
    It's a one word explanation, I think. Entitled.

I'm actually a bit surprised and disappointed, I didn't see that coming.

Where I used to live I had a big yard, with about 9,000 square feet in the back. The inner 1/4 was fenced and my Mini Schnauzer lived there, with the back 3/4 fenced but I didn't let my boy out there. After the last trees were gone there were big circles of sandy soil, and you can imagine my horror to find out the nice, but always roaming unspayed cat was training her soon to squashed or eaten kittens (virtually none of hers survived, except the two boys that outlived her) used my sandy spots for litter boxes. I knew exactly the house and cats involved. I gathered the kitty logs, and spent at least an hour chucking them back over the fence, so they so-called owners could share. Considering they were definitely hoarders, and bad owners, and never cleaned the back yard I was the only one who knew. Actually, one other person did, the man who lived right behind me, who had to screen his back porch so his indoor cats didn't touch the hoarders unvaccinated cats and catch something. I could hear him laughing from the porch when he realized what I was doing, and he came out and offered to help. The hoarders weren't fun neighbors for anyone.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

2 members found this post helpful.