The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

had to log in to say

bravo meup!

OP please reconsider and hang around. This board can be very tough, but its primarily because everyone is just so dedicated to their animals, and so many of us have been through the ringer so many times chasing non-existent rabbits down non-existent holes with our own horses... its easy to get trigger happy. If you can grow a skin thick enough to handle the onslaught some key phrases bring (ie, "OTTB" = ulcers and/or kissing spine, "saddle narrow enough" = not being fitted correctly, etc.) then you might discover this is a really good group of people that have their hearts in the right place and are very eager to help any horseman out.

So glad you found the root of the problem! I wish you and your horse the best!
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    An adorable photography book, makes a perfect gift.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    That sounds like a neurological issue, possibly c-spine arthritis. Especially the part about looking more sound when she is going faster.
    Huh. I have never heard of C-spine arthritis before! I just took a minute to look it up. So arthritis in the neck could effect the hind end? I'll have to look into this some more.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden boy View Post
    He was perfectly fine for my coach thanks and he has 3 of the best vets in the area working him. So we are running with this right now to see how it goes and changing a few things. So thanks but honestly if u have negative comments pls keep them to yourself. I find this board to be very rude and trust me will probably be the last time I post.

And lots of horses do have behavioural problems and it isn't always pain related. And some are smarter than others so I will be speaking to my one vet who has worked on him the most and knows EVERYTHING that has been going on. I trust her and again if she suspects anything else she will be back.

And again thanks to the ppl who have made this a great experience and to the others I know why I have mostly been a lurker!!

So again thanks truly to the ppl who made this experience positive and the others this topic is done to you and no more feed back is needed. I'll be dealing with my amazing vets and coach who know and opinions I trust!!

Sorry I'm never like this but some ppl on this board are so rude and inconsiderate and have ruined it for lots of ppl I have been lurking for years. And you wonder why horse ppl get a negative name...just saying!

And question my horsemanship all you want you don't know me or my horse and everyone who does knows he is above and beyond cared for extremely extremely well and they are the ones who matter and know!!!!
    I just want to say I'm sorry people can be jerks when it comes to posting to get HELP for your horse! The same thing happened to me on another forum. I posted looking for advice and while I got some, a select few people seemed to get off on passive-aggressively telling me how stupid I was and what a terrible horse owner I was, even though I explained over and over what actually happened, they couldn't be convinced. It left such a bad taste in my mouth I left the board that had, in many ways, become an extended family. You really sound like a fantastic owner and I hope you can overcome the bullies and not be afraid to post or left bitter like I was. Good luck with your boy, and I wish you many years of happy, healthy riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty15 View Post
    Huh. I have never heard of C-spine arthritis before! I just took a minute to look it up. So arthritis in the neck could effect the hind end? I'll have to look into this some more.
    Look up spondylolisthesis. You will see some stuff about "wobbles" which is usually diagnosed in foals, but you will also see that Seattle Slew had it in his cervical spine from arthritis when he was an old horse. They invented a surgery to stabilize his spine that they use in humans today!
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

There are a variety of saddle pads, shim pads, half pads and such on the market today.

Having a saddle that is too wide is much easier to work with than having one that is too narrow.

There are pads that are thick and have sort of a memory foam so they mold well to the horses back.

https://www.smartpakequine.com/passi...flexipad-5926p

If the saddle fits BUT placement is to far forward that will also cause pain and chiro issues (with the SI). Make certain when you ask the saddler to check gthe fit that YOU place the saddle where you normally do - if it's not correct make saddler show you the proper way to place the saddle.

I also think pain is the issue - not attitude (based on your description). Vets told my friend it was attitude until she fnally found a vet that found the physical issues and after an injection (needed yearly) everything changed - mare was best she had everr been.
    Sandy in Fla.

Well sometimes the perfect storm comes together - horse is stuck inside due to weather, rider is a bit off track, horse is a little sore, it's cold and stormy, and a bucking fit ensues.

I'm not one to jump to kissing spine from that. Sometimes horses have a few bad days and the trainer needs to address the issue. Sometimes the horse is hurt and it needs to be addressed.

Sometimes it's a combination.

It sounds like the OP is trying to sort it out. Let's not beat them up for trying to figure out a reasonable approach.

One thing you might consider is how the trainer is riding differently. What is making the horse either more physically comfortable or more agreeable? Focus on that and see how you can adjust your riding to mirror what is happening with the trainer.

Thanks guys, he is doing great and finally felt like the horse he was 6 weeks ago.

But I'm starting to look into other options for our saddle. Thinking he has been changing shape and it's not fitting as well as it once did. It's not horrible and I have proper pads for it. But I just want the best fit for him and heading to pick up some possible options Monday to test ride. I love my Stubben but does anyone have any experience with Prestige or Passier?

Quote Originally Posted by Golden boy View Post
    Thinking he has been changing shape and it's not fitting as well as it once did.

I love my Stubben but does anyone have any experience with Prestige or Passier?
    All great saddles but if you love your Stubben, I'd have a fitter (or Stubben rep) out to see if the saddle can be adjusted.

Stubbens can have the flocking adjusted, but the trees aren't adjustable. Passier's trees can be adjusted multiple times, and to a greater degree than the usual 3/4" / 2 cm. Of the two, I prefer the Passiers; IMO the quality and workmanship are superior.