The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default pull behind spreader for lawn/pasture seed and fertilizer applications

Hey guys....can anyone share their suggestions for a fool proof (me being the fool) pull behind spreader to use in pasture/lawn product applications?

I've got small acreage (think two 200ftx200ft 'pastures' cross fenced ) so I don't need anything huge, but something I can pull with my garden tractor and importantly can use for : lime, fert, overseeding, etc and can UNDERSTAND and calibrate easily!

I really need to be doing my own applications, but am just worried about getting the settings, etc. wrong or going too slow or too fast, etc, etc

TIA!
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Try one of these at Tractor Supply

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...Term=spreaders

They have both the pull behind and the walk behind.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I have used the Tractor Supply ones in the past - and have had to buy a new one each year due to them falling apart. They just dont hold up very well.

Last year I got http://www.lowes.com/pd_317782-203-45-0463-JD_0__
    and it seems to be holding up better. I use it for fertilizer and broadcast seed. I pull it behind my small garden tractor and then go over it with a drag to really get good soil contact for the seed.

Thanks, Sue .. I did look but as Bobuddy shared, the 'reviews' on the TS ones were very dismal. Bobuddy, thanks so much, I appreciate the testimonial! Sounds like the way to go....as one fill up for each side of the driveway looks about right for my 44,000 sq ft. Wish some of the 'aerate and spread' drop types got better reviews, but most of those get thumbs down at most sites, and everyone says doing it in two steps is better than trying cheaper quality.

Edited to ask: do you find calibrating it easy to follow and figure out?
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

The JD from Lowes was very easy to use - and the adjustments stayed put - unlike the TS ones - that vibrated loose every 10 minutes so you would have to stop and tighten the screws down again. The tires on the JD were also better - heavier duty.

I have gone through three separate ones from TS - each one lasted for one season use only - and by the time I was done with it - parts had broken off. The first two TS replaced for me but the last one I waited too long to take back to the store. Very frustrating.

And yes - about the aerater -the reviews are all pretty dismal so I have not tried one. Maybe for the suburban small lawn they would be fine, but not on a farm or heavy use.

My set up at home sounds similar to yours - about three acres is pasture that is divided/cross fenced so I can rotate pastures. After several significant droughts, my pasture was in serious trouble and I needed to seed it all. I was on the list for several months for the drill seeder and i was running out of time to put seed down. The owner of the store pulled me aside and told me to use my drag/harrow (tines DOWN) and go over the pasture in both directions. Then use the broadcast spreader - THEN go back over the pasture with the drag - tines UP to improve soil/seed contact.

I cheated and saved time and hooked the spreader to the back of my garden tractor - and then hooked the drag behind the spreader to do the second part all in one step. I weighted down the drag with a few concrete blocks.

Seeding this way worked like a charm and better than using the drill seeder.

2 members found this post helpful.

Good Lord I am so APPRECIATIVE of this info, Bo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I too, have been awaiting a small enough split seeder to rent or use and its just been impossible! Now, I WILL ask if I can 'see' what you mean as your drag/harrow? I only am familiar with the plain ol link fence piece types so 'tines' and a direction to use them I'll need to learn about!
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

I have used the chain link fence with cement blocks to weigh it down - but I found something like this: http://www.gemplers.com/img/drag-har...uct-215201.jpg on Craigslist several years ago and this is far superior to the chain link fence type.

I live in TB country in KY - and the big horse farms always get preference over us little guys. I was "first on the list" for a drill seeder with two different places and they would call me on a Tuesday at 10am to pick up the seeder NOW or it would go to the next person. Uh.... I work full time and cant just leave work to pick up a seeder at a whim. They didnt care one bit. I even pleaded and begged to pick it up on a Friday night and have it back on a Saturday am (it only took me 2 hours to drill seed for the one year I was able to rent it) but - no joy. I was in tears when a different feed store owner took me aside and said - "this is how you do it and you will get just as good of results".

My drag is about 4ft wide by 6? feet long. Heavy sucker. Looks like places online sell them new for about $200. Mine off of Craigslist cost about $80 about 8 years ago.

FWIW - the boom sprayers for spraying weed killer or liquid fertilizer have held up to once a year use from TS.

Just rent the equipment for a year or two.

Once you have some time running it, then you'll know if you want to buy one for yourself.

I'll join the thumbs down on TS. Most things there are just not built to last.

I just haven't felt justified buying the really good ones.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

The pull behind spreader that I have I bought from the lawn mower sales location probably 20 or more yrs ago and it still is going strong but I don't abuse mine. The only thing I've had to repair on it was the pull down bar to start the flow as it did get bent but that was an easy fix. I also don't loan it out to anyone else to use as I learned the hard way when I loaned out a York Rake. I don't know what the brand is but I'm pretty sure it didn't come from TSC since they didn't open a store here until maybe 2 yrs ago but knowing TSC sold them is why I pointed it out that they carried them. Sorry the quality at TSC isn't very good. I'll keep that in mind and just settle for getting horse feed there.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!