The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Yet Another Sign That Spring Has Truly Sprung . . .

. . . or it has in here in Southern California anyway.

I was doing my standard hands-on check of my mare for any lumps, bumps, or injuries and giving a few scritches to her favorite itchy spots while she stood in the cross ties happily soaking up the attention. As I scratched her ample spotty butt, she twitched her tail and squirted. Yup, she's in season. I asked her through my laughter whether I should take her reaction as a compliment to my butt-scratching abilities, but she coyly said nothing.

While the meteorologists are predicting a heavy wet snow starting late this afternoon, yesterday was the first day I wore regular denim jeans as opposed to my corduroy winter jeans. No snow or wind pants either and a baseball cap as well.

I've seen one robin thus far and flocks and flocks of geese trying to make it north have been going over for the last 2-3 wks.

Most of the snow is gone from our blizzard and the sacrifice paddocks are pretty wet and muddy except where I've had gravel and stone dust put down in front of the stalls.

One horse (could actually be a yak) has been shedding since late January and the other finally has started to shed about 2 wks ago.

The days are getting longer and it's still light at night when I make the 7:30PM trip out to walk the dog, top water for the horses, pick stalls and add more hay. Still dark though for the 10 PM check.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!