The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Around here mostly break-ins, especially after having a contractor do work around your house. Five of my neighbors had their garages/barns broken into the night of a tornado a year or two ago. I guess the thieves figured that the police would be busy. That and losing telephone service because they cut the wires for the copper...but that's stopped lately too.

The only sirens I ever hear are fire department and ambulance.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

NoVa suburbs

The local PD keeps a decent watch on my neighborhood. They used to park at the end of my street a couple years ago when we had a gang war going on. Things quieted down for a while, but I think the gang activity is on the rise again. There was a gang hit at a shopping center a few miles away back in February. That area is really bad.

My neighbors 5 doors down were raided by the SWAT team. Everybody called the cops on my old next door neighbors. They were just a PITA.

There's a fire house a half mile away and another 5 miles away. There's always sirens blaring from one or the other.

We don't have much crime here at all. Mostly pain in the rear teenagers getting caught with weed or stealing from elderly relatives. People around here get arrested, but it's very uncommon to see police/helicopters come out in force.

I feel very safe where I live, but I don't leave my door or car unlocked out of habit.
    Newbie event rider dreaming of rocking BN with my young OTTB!

Adventures with my Baby TB Blog

Laura-the contractor or other person who can case your house is the reason that I never let anyone into my house unless I have hired them, and I usually hire by word of mouth from local people. I always hire companies that have a good track record, have been in business for a while, and never let people selling door to door inside. I also have plantation shutters, and they are always closed (it's hot here, and that helps keep the temps down indoors), and this neighborhood is full of retired and current military, mostly special forces types, so people tend to keep an eye on each other here. However, a subdivision about a mile away has had a bunch of burglaries, mostly during the work week, and during school hours. It's suspected it's people casing the area claiming to be sales people, and who aren't, and some residents adult kids were busted for burglaries too, so that stopped. I always have good locks, and use them. I try to make my house tougher to get into, and hopefully will discourage someone who will go after an easier target.
    Also, I realize that if I have a problem, that the neighbors will probably be the ones to help, because I live in the county, and the sheriff's department is probably not going to get here first.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Pretty quiet where I'm at in SE VA. I do hear sirens, mainly because we're right up the road from the fire station. I work for the police department. It's rare that cops respond to calls lwith ights and sirens. We just don't get alot more then the usual domestic disturbances and burglary reports. There are parts of the city I will not go into alone, especially at night and even while in uniform. But even those parts are pretty mild compared to other cities.
    I spent a weekend in downtown Richmond last May, with my daughters school and will be going again this year. We were in the nicer part of town, and realized pretty quickly where the line was. Tried to park the activity bus in a long term parking lot and had it boarded, while at a stoplight, by a few people that made the teacher driving very nervous. I just laughed and explained their mistake. Second time it happened a female became really disorderly and demanded we give her a ride. I had to block the aisle of the bus to keep her from getting in a seat while calling for police. Once she realized they were actually responding she got off and ran. We had to run the TV in the hotel room all night, even from the 6th floor, the lights and sirens from the cops and medics kept me up. This year the plan is to put the vehicles in valet parking and only eat at places within walking distance of our hotel!

Another Marylander here, but Northern Carroll Co., mostly petty/property type crimes here, but once or twice a year have a bigger crime but then you always find out it was drug related or something, not just a random crime. Biggest criminal we have around here is furry and four legged and gets in the trash

House is not usually locked, keys are in vehicles/tractors, live on a farm road with 8 other houses so we know who belongs and who doesn't.
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

Our neighborhood (townhomes) used to be a pretty nice little middle-class place to live. Then the recession hit and there were several foreclosures; many of the buyers of those properties proceeded to rent them to trash. Then the trash bring in their trash friends, etc.

Our neighbor 4 doors down is a dealer - has been arrested 4 times in 2 years. He actually owns his home, as his father died and left it to him.

There have been 13 break-ins since November in our neighborhood and the next one down the road. We now have one of those crime watch towers on wheels parked in a cul-de-sac, keeping watch on the area. Fortunately our dogs love to hang out in the window next to the front door and they look and sound mean as all get out when there are strangers about. (Scared the snot out of some Jehovah's Witnesses this morning, good boys!)

I live in a suburb outside of Memphis, so while you often hear of how bad the crime is here, I never really hear evidence of it, though we do hear quite a few ambulances since our neighborhood is next to a nursing home and they send one every time someone falls, etc). We lock our doors, but feel safe going outside at night. The only thing that ever happened was a theif that was stealing bikes and lawn equipment out of people's garages if they left them open. The police regularly patrol my sister's neighborhood (she lives in a large neighborhood, and even though the people who live there are fairly wealthy, it is less than 1.5 miles from a fairly high crime area). That being said, I'm never afraid in her neighborhood either and regularly go over there to run.

Middle O' Nowhere, Utah. More worried by rampant wildlife than criminal activity. We are all just so nice here...

1 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    and, apparently in my new house, lambs breaking in.

Lamb-burglars?
    Please 'splain...

I am a BigCity transplant & in the 10yrs I've lived in the "country" (less than 5mi from the nearest town of size) I've learned to leave my doors unlocked and answer the door w/o checking the peephole first.
    Neither would have flown where I came from.

The closest experience of Crime I've had here was when I saw a fellow walking down the road coming back to my house around 7A from doing barn chores & later that morning a cop knocked on my door to ask if I'd seen anyone.
    Turned out the guy I'd seen had escaped custody & gone walkies.
    It was on the local news, including the street name & coworkers asked me if I'd seen him when I got to work.

Few sirens & like another poster said. they usually mean fire or medical emergency.
    I do not miss that part of urban life a bit.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    Laura-the contractor or other person who can case your house is the reason that I never let anyone into my house unless I have hired them, and I usually hire by word of mouth from local people. I always hire companies that have a good track record, have been in business for a while, and never let people selling door to door inside. I also have plantation shutters, and they are always closed (it's hot here, and that helps keep the temps down indoors), and this neighborhood is full of retired and current military, mostly special forces types, so people tend to keep an eye on each other here. However, a subdivision about a mile away has had a bunch of burglaries, mostly during the work week, and during school hours. It's suspected it's people casing the area claiming to be sales people, and who aren't, and some residents adult kids were busted for burglaries too, so that stopped. I always have good locks, and use them. I try to make my house tougher to get into, and hopefully will discourage someone who will go after an easier target.
    Also, I realize that if I have a problem, that the neighbors will probably be the ones to help, because I live in the county, and the sheriff's department is probably not going to get here first.
    Yes. I do the same. I also make a point about how protective my dogs are.

We do most of the repair and updating work ourselves.
    Last edited by LauraKY; Mar. 30, 2014 at 01:49 PM.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

The motto of our Atlanta police department homicide squad used to be : "Our day begins when yours ends."

We beat out Detroit for most homicides per year by #, for 3 years in a row.

I was never burgled in over 20 yrs in Atlanta. Pays to have australian shepherds. They even got furious 2x a week when the garbage men "stole" their garbage from my carport. Burglars know which houses have dogs inside. And my defendants respected my house and my dogs and me, so I was never mugged in the projects or on the streets at night when I worked by myself cause both my white and black investigators were too afraid to go out into the city at night.

i'm in rural northern va - about 75 miles from the nations capital and a world away. since we're three miles outside of our small town, and the volunteer fire department, we don't hear sirens. ever. we are very spoiled out here. most crime is small time drug related and DUI/suspended license offenses. it is generally from a small pool of usual suspects.

nothing is locked and the keys are in the vehicles. we attended a child's birthday party this fall and a fast storm rolled in. the host ducked out of the house and quickly rolled up everyone's car windows. he was laughing when he came in, that this would only happen here - as everyone had their keys in the car. on farm properties, you just never know when someone might need to move your car to get a tractor or a piece of equipment out, so it's a common practice.

several years ago we had a murder on the other side of the mountain. it occurred after a drunken night of debauchery and the suspect was on the run. he stayed at large for several days, during which we did remove the keys from the vehicles and took a rifle out of the cabinet. helicopters and dogs were employed and one of the neighbors said he was going to put his keys back in his truck and lay a $20 on the drivers seat just to be rid of this guy, he wasn't joking. they caught the guy after a week about 5 miles from the crime and my house. that was a very strange July and to think back on it now, it is still quite surreal.

reading all of the other posts on this thread is a very good reminder of just how good we have it out here in the sticks
    * trying hard to be the person that my horses think i am

I live in a small coastal town in New England. I never lock my house, or my car, even when I go shopping in neighboring towns. When we hear sirens / helicopters, it's generally because 1) there's an accident or a fire nearby, or 2) someone fell in the river or the ocean.
    It's quiet around here, people know and greet each other on the street, and the big city is only 1 hour away, if we want a taste of that (which we very rarely do!)
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

We never locked doors when I was growing up in a tiny Wisconsin town. There was just no crime. We started locking doors after some classmates of my sister stole our grill from the backyard.

The neighborhood I moved to as an adult (married, 1 kid) looked nice, but we had at least one drug house across the street. We had a stand-off half a block away at an apartment with a love triangle-gone-bad shot and killed the woman, shot the man in the head (he walked, bleeding, past my house the 3 blocks to the police station) then shot and killed himself. We had a sheriff's deputy chase a suspect on foot under my bedroom window. My truck was ransacked by one of the drug house residents (that house burned down a couple months ago). My favorite, though, was the time 6 squad cars and their officers were in front of my house, guns drawn (get on the ground, get on the ground!) on the drunk in the street who was slurring, "my hand's bleeding" because he'd just smashed out my neighbor's car windows. My ex & his new wife still live there.

I moved to NoVA to another pretty neighborhood. Where there was a drive-by shooting just 2 weeks after I moved in (some kids were ticked they weren't allowed in a gang, so they stole a car and shot at 3 residences in the area.) After that, nothing happened. I moved again a year later to my current apartment on a scary-looking, run-down street where nothing happens except weddings on weekends.

There was an attempted armed robbery at a pawn shop across from work a couple of years ago. The robber got away on foot and ran through several neighborhoods, prompting a helicopter search for several hours until he was found at an elderly couple's home. The stand-off lasted several hours while the couple talked about Jesus and the would-be-robber turned himself in. He pleaded guilty, too.

I'm not afraid to go out at night, but I'm still cautious and aware of my surroundings, as everyone should be. I'm far more creeped out by house-sitting for a friend in a creepy wooded neighborhood on a WV mountainside. Apparently the cops won't go up there without lots of back up. Also, the number one threatdown: bears.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

When I lived in New Mexico, on one Saturday morning there was a robbery, multiple victim murder and wounding about a mile from my house at the bowling alley, and about a mile the other way some man stabbed his roommate or neighbor to death. That was a scary time. They never solved the bowling alley murders, and I think the only survivor died since.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Well, I live in town. Independence hard by Kansas City. I live in what I like to say is 'the slums of NW Independence.' Now it isn't the slums, but it is an old neighborhood, and the houses are inexpensive. Most of the houses are tidy and

we have curbs. This is the Click image for larger version. 

Name:	view to the north.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	39547view up my street. I have lived here 35 years and I swear there is NO crime. I occasionally leave my keys in the car but I never leave it locked, and like someone else said, I don't even know where my house keys are. I keep two largish dogs as an added enforcement. They are very friendly but sound quite fierce.

In looking up the street, I realize you can't even see the houses. There are houses all along here. It is leafy and quiet. I love it here.
    Another killer of threads

1 members found this post helpful.

I grew up in a nice neighborhood in northern virginia. Our house was always locked when we were gone, as were the cars, but our detached garage never was, unless we were on vacation. I think we had the occasional break-in over the holidays, but the neighborhood itself was safe.
    We did of course have the sniper shooter(s) on the loose while I was in high school, and they were pretty nearby (I had left the home depot just an hour before the shooting that occurred there). Also at the beginning of this year my former music teacher was shot answering her front door in a nearby neighborhood. Just terrible.
    I know there were pockets of higher criminal behavior in my city, but crime in our area was fairly isolated. Yes, mostly high schoolers having parties/pot busts.

My current location is rural NE Georgia. My 14-21 dogs have been a fairly effective deterrent on the farm here and I don't think I know where my house keys are. Whenever the sirens go by (and the 14-21 dogs let us know when that happens, ahem) it's usually a medical response or firetruck. Most of the crime blotter is taken up with driving on suspended licenses, though there is some amount of domestic violence. The only time I've seen more than one cop car pulled over with its lights on has been to help a farmer corral his cattle
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by Eye in the Sky View Post
    I wish what I was hearing tonight was fire sirens and not police - It's not a very noticeable difference in sound, but I recognize it fairly quickly. I've worked with gangs and well as neighborhoods you've seen if you ever watched "The Wire". I've had a gun drawn on me while taking a teen back to their house when I worked in Richmond. I suppose I'm just tired of the news leading with either a murder or a home invasion. And it isn't unique to Baltimore, I know. Maybe this is just cabin fever fro all the nasty weather this year, or perhaps its time to move somewhere less "HBO" worthy. I do love so much about the area, and I would miss awesome people, incredible food, and an excellent music and art scene - not to mention fabulous horse people!

Renn - I'd love to meet you! I've met so many COTHers here in "Smalltimore"!
    I am in Towson, so I have learned the difference between the fire siren and the police siren. I used to live on the edge of Mt. Washington between Cross-Country and Pimlico. I liked a lot about the area. Felt very safe running in the evening going one way of the street but I wouldn't go the other way without the dog. But it's very different from the tiny town near Carroll County where I grew up. We wouldn't even lock the doors. Cops came through once with search lights and the works and it turned out someone had cached a bunch of stolen motorbikes in the neighbor's woods. That was the town's excitement for 20 years.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

My office is in Towson, and we live in Carney. I'm not afraid of our neighborhood, and since the cops sit at the end of my street for speed-traps, we know they are always a stone's throw. Having grown up in Durham, NC, I've never lived anywhere that the doors would be unlocked, even though I've never had a home broken into. It would be nice, however, to not have the helicopter search light glaring around searching for some criminal LOL!

On a side-note, when I lived in Richmond, I lived downtown in a very old rowhouse. It was beautiful and we loved being so close to work that we could walk. VCU was just up the road and we could walk to concerts as well as great restaurants. The only break-in I ever had, was a homeless man that would sleep in my car at night. He smoked in my car only one time, and after I left a note asking that he please not, he stopped. Never stole anything, even my toll change. He always left a newspaper for me as well.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields