The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Crime or lack of in your area

I just came inside from letting my dog out, and listened (again) to the sound of police sirens and saw the police helicopter with its searchlight.

It made me wonder - is this normal where other people live?

I don't live in Baltimore City, but I live in the county (which is way too big for its own good). We live in a relative "low crime" area (people rarely get murdered here), but still, police sirens and helicopters are pretty "normal" where I live.

All this, from taking the dog out. My brain needs wine.

So, where do you live and what is your life like?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Well, I just moved, but only from a few miles from my last house, and my lifestyle is pretty much the same. My doors are unlocked 95% of the time, and if I hear sirens, it means someone crashed on a country road, or there's a fire (I used to be within ear shot of a local volunteer fire station, so I heard their signal often). I live alone with my critters and normal is hearing foxes and cows, and, apparently in my new house, lambs breaking in.

1 members found this post helpful.

The sirens police helicopters, chases, roadblocks are pretty common where I am. The neighbor kid across the street and is friend murdered someone, and I was working while the police and SWAT team and news blocked up the street.

well, I live in a small town...I think it's a city ordinance that at 7:30 or 8 at night the fire department moves out, lights and sirens going...or maybe they are fetching supper, I don't know.

Maybe you are living really close to the fire station...that accounts for a lot of the sirens. (I once lived a block away from one...even though the houses were like 100 years old, dry as tinder boxes, you could not burn one down if you wanted to, response time under 5 min...bring the sirens, baby!)

It's pretty quiet here, although, across the highway...that's where 'the big city' starts...it's pretty bd off, I am sure crime is higher there, but I think here, too, people rarely find themselves killed. Although two years ago it hit home a bit, the crime rate jumped, one kid had his dad kill his mom, then we had somebody kill a small family and go on the run, with one cop getting hurt...possible drug connections. then nothing again for a while....oh, the year before that a cop got shot on duty...you see, we can still count the unlawfully deseased people here on one hand over the course of several years...nothing happening....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I've never locked my doors. Live in formerly blue-collar mill town, now a bedroom commuter community for Portland. I live about a mile out of town (so "country"). We hear sirens pretty much daily, but I doubt it means "crime", more like medical emergency as those constitute 80% of fire department calls here. Speeders, car accidents and the occasional burglary or drug bust make up the rest. We had a murder about 15 years ago.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Hello, fellow Baltimore County resident!

Police sirens are a normal occurrence around here. I've gotten used to it. I really like the area otherwise.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I grew up in a wealthy, gated community type of town. We never locked our doors and "crime" there was mostly drunken college kids vandalizing stuff. When I moved to the real world I had a rude awakening.

My first apartment in Greeley was in a section 8 neighborhood. We made the fatal mistake of getting an apartment before we actually visited. There was a lot of gang activity in the complex and my horse trailer got tagged 2 days after we moved in. A few months later there was a hostage situation in the building next door where 2 suspects ended up dead. We broke our lease to get out of there.

I live in a much better neighborhood now. I do lock my doors but I also feel safe walking my dog at night. There's still a little petty crime in the neighborhood but nothing to write home about.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I hear sirens but assume a lot of it is fire trucks or accidents. The neighborhood is luckily fairly safe, but there is one way in and one way out. Every one in a while, though, something odd or suspicious happens. Despite the fact that it is pretty low crime, I do take reasonable precautions like locking the doors and not always opening the door after some strange instances with people coming to the door and making odd requests.

I used to live in Southern California, and wherever I lived (San Fernando and San Gabriel valleys), sirens and police helicopters were a pretty frequent presence.

Now I live in a rural area 20 miles outside of Denver, and I am far likelier to hear a coyote howling than a siren. There is a fire station within a mile as the crow flies (much farther by road) and we hear the occasional siren. But I think they tend to turn the sirens on a ways down the road, as I would think we'd hear them more.

There has been an occasional mail theft in my area, construction materials have walked away, and I hear some people may have had tack in an unlocked storage disappear. But none of that has ever happened to me. I don't think I have a key to all my outside doors--not sure if all of them get locked with any regularity.

I will never forget hearing a lot of activity just outside my house in Pasadena, and walking out on the porch holding my then-one month old daughter to see what was going on. The SWAT team was suiting up in front of my house to go raid one of my neighbors. I sure don't miss that type of thing at all!

Ironically, the one time in my life that I've been burglarized was when I lived way out in the boonies outside Flagstaff.

Rebecca

I live in a small rural yet hipsterish town next to a college town. We had a murder of a Waffle House waitress last year, some robberies, bunch of fights at Home Despot, but then also these adorable crimes as reported by the tiny local paper:

Miniature horse at large
    Lewd pollen drawing
    Suspicious driveway repairs

But it seems the more big box stores move in, the more of the not-adorable crime we seem to be getting.

I live in Tacoma, WA and I do hear sirens, but really not that often? I know there is crime nearby and looking for opportunity. I have those steel screen doors that deadbolt on both doors and am getting the window thing next month so I can feel more at ease in summer with it open. I bought this house for the convenience and location, also it will be a great future rental, the area is not super great though. It is near famed Pac Ave and I did see a ho jump out of a truck while walking my little dog a few days ago. She asked about him, it made me so sad to think how her life is so different than mine I do feel safe here, I am competent with a firearm should anything happen that needs one and the Tacoma PD does not screw around. Like you call the Po Po and 30 seconds later they have everyone cuffed and on the way to jail and you don't even hear sirens just see some lights.

Now, a mile down Pac Ave is a horrible neighborhood. Strip club, lots of hookers, druggies, you name it. That is Pierce County though, the part you see on C.O.P.S.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

I wish what I was hearing tonight was fire sirens and not police - It's not a very noticeable difference in sound, but I recognize it fairly quickly. I've worked with gangs and well as neighborhoods you've seen if you ever watched "The Wire". I've had a gun drawn on me while taking a teen back to their house when I worked in Richmond. I suppose I'm just tired of the news leading with either a murder or a home invasion. And it isn't unique to Baltimore, I know. Maybe this is just cabin fever fro all the nasty weather this year, or perhaps its time to move somewhere less "HBO" worthy. I do love so much about the area, and I would miss awesome people, incredible food, and an excellent music and art scene - not to mention fabulous horse people!

Renn - I'd love to meet you! I've met so many COTHers here in "Smalltimore"!
    W. C. Fields

I live on the Eastern Shore of Marylabd, where you don't immediately think there would be a ton of big crime. We have drug arrests, burglaries, etc. Well in the last week the city has had; a drug bust go wrong and the suspect rammed and attempted to run over a cop car, then ended up at large. Our local mall had a bomb threat and the entire mall had to be evacuated and cleared, and while that was happening there was an armed robbery at a local bank. Then a state trooper was somehow run over while checking a repair order, the suspect was fatally shot by another officer while trying to drive away. So far that's been the only fatality. I live a few miles outside of the city, in a more rural area. But people have been going crazy around here!

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Where I live, crime is limited to property and drug stuff. Lots of DUIs, drug possession cases, theft and fraud, with the occasional violent crime, stuff done mostly by bored young people. Go several miles away and crime is higher and more violent in the low-income areas where shootings, murders, rape/sexual assault, and robberies are commonplace.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by Eye in the Sky View Post
    I just came inside from letting my dog out, and listened (again) to the sound of police sirens and saw the police helicopter with its searchlight.

It made me wonder - is this normal where other people live?

I don't live in Baltimore City, but I live in the county (which is way too big for its own good). We live in a relative "low crime" area (people rarely get murdered here), but still, police sirens and helicopters are pretty "normal" where I live.

All this, from taking the dog out. My brain needs wine.

So, where do you live and what is your life like?
    I live in Mayberry, I mean Bel Air! The flip side isn't any better, they arrest people and actually sentence them for things that you couldn't even get the cop to get out of the car 10 miles or so down the road. I know someone who was sentenced to 18 months supervised probation including twice weekly drug tests and 30 weeks of drug classes for a trace of marijuana. So little they couldn't weigh it.

Yea, I have clients that see me from Bel Air, and it makes me nervous to drive up there for fear I may end up in jail for some infraction. I've got to go up this Monday to see our CPA for taxes, and like always, I will drive because my husband has a heavier lead foot than I do. I'll leave the MJ at home - KIDDING!
    W. C. Fields

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Squashnmoon View Post
    Lewd pollen drawing
    I'm going to need a little more information on this one....

6 members found this post helpful.

I live just outside the actual city, but we were recently ranked #13 on the list of most dangerous small cities in the US.

I have witnessed a carjacking while driving to work (the guy carjacked and crashed about 6 cars in a row that morning before being caught). There was a big arson a few years ago right down the street, set by the owners of a failing business, and one of them ran and hid inside a house in my neighborhood. (Homeowner with a gun held him until the cops arrived.) Those are the biggest and most bizarre two crimes that I witnessed.

Stabbings and shootings are not uncommon downtown. There's a very safe area of several blocks around the square, but outside of that area it can be dicey.

I hear lots of sirens being right off the main drag. There's also an ambulance station within a few hundred yards of my house. Usually I go to the county control website to see location of the fire, accident, or medical emergency. Ones that seem interesting get pulled up on the scanner. The cops like to run speed traps out there too so that accounts for some of it.

We are in the rural ghetto. Many of the neighbors are involved in crime of some description, but they mostly don't bring their business home. Otherwise people are friendly and hard working. There is a guy who deals on the corner. There was rumor of his predecessor killed in a drive-by before we moved here. The real drug crime (fights, thefts, murder, vandalism) seems to be in the next town up the road.

Our area has quite a reputation. Police don't actually patrol here during hours when they know they will find a problem. We have called the police once when we heard a woman screaming "Help me" from a car parked on our corner.

It is a very odd balance between crime and cattle farmers. We have not had a problem, but we have not given them a chance either. I actually wave to the dealer when I drive past him...and make eye contact and look at his face.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Rural Kentucky. The garage is always locked, but it's a detached thing pretty close to the road and full of tools. I always lock my tack room too. But the house is never locked unless we both (rarely) both leave for overnight. I don't even know where the house keys are. Keys are left in the vehicles and tractors.

Sirens are generally fire sirens. We occasionally see/hear a helicopter, but it's generally during growing season-we figure they're looking for pot.

Everybody has guns and everybody knows it. If you decide to drive down someone's long dark driveway at night (or think about breaking into the two 90+ year old ladies' shed, LOL!) unexpectedly, expect to be met by the owner with a shotgun/rifle.