The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default IV shot gone bad ...

Just heard a few hours ago of a very experienced horsewoman who gave her colicking mare a shot of Banamine IV. Except instead of going in the vein, she hit the artery instead and before the vet could get there, the mare died.

I am so anal and particular to make sure I am in the vein for 100% sure when I do IV shots

Has anyone come across this themselves or from someone they heard about? Is there is anything that can be done or given to reverse the effects or once that dose hits the brain full bore, is it then just a matter of time before the horse dies and there is nothing you can do to make it any better?

It is rare for a horse to die when you hit the artery. I have never seen it happen myself but from what I have been told they flip out for a few minutes then sort of snap out of it. Sorry for her loss.

2 members found this post helpful.

I wonder then if something was so badly twisted from the colic that THAT did her in instead of the shot going wrong?

Poor mare and poor owner ...

Did she flip and hit her head?
    I've seen a couple of arterial sticks (both from DVMs) and the horses both flipped and required IV DMSO and intensive care for head injuries related to that. That could certainly be fatal.
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't know what killed her but I doubt if it would have made any difference if the vet had been there when it happened. I don't think there is anything you can do. You generally can't get anywhere near them until they stop thrashing and by then they are fine. It certainly could have been compounded by the colic.

This actually happened to my horse this fall; I was the one who gave the shot. He went into anaphylactic shock and started having what looked like seizures (although he stayed up the entire time, staggering badly). I was unbelievably lucky that the barn owner was there, knew what was happening, and had epinephrine on hand. We got it in within a couple of minutes. He came most of the way out of the reaction pretty quickly, although he did have two more episodes (much more minor) within about an hour.

Absolutely one of the scariest things I've ever seen. He recovered completely, thankfully.

2 members found this post helpful.

I've actually never heard of a death from an arterial stick. The horse usually seizes and then comes out of it.

I have very little experience with it though.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

CrowneDragon - I don't know. I don't know her well enough to call and ask her.

The only similar thing I have encountered many years ago was a penicillin shot I gave to a mare I owned. Was 99.9% positive I was nowhere near any blood vessels, but when I gave it to her and started walking out of the stall she started to shake and gallop the stall. Go down.. get back up. We caught her and tried to hand walk her in the arena waiting for the vet but by the time he arrived the crisis had passed with her. Hand walking her was certainly fun as she galloped around in circles flinging herself down on the ground in between

The vet told me the best thing I could have done was to give her a shot of epinephrine and the locale of choice was the tongue because it had so many blood vessels per square inch. I never did figure out how one was supposed to grab the tongue and inject something into it while a 1200 lb animal was throwing itself up, down and all around

Would epinephrine also work if you injected something into an artery?

Edited to add - apparently this mare was having seizure after seizure as well

One of my stallions had a similar reaction to an IM penicillin injection. He was on a second round of it and apparently it was over the top. It was terrifying for me being in the stall with him bouncing off the walls and thrashing up and down. He was ok in about 10 minutes Thank God! Took a few years off my life. So sorry for the woman who lost her mare. I don't try to give shots in the vein. I just think that is for the professionals.
    PennyG

I have heard that banamine is fatal in the artery.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Quote Originally Posted by TrueColours View Post
    Would epinephrine also work if you injected something into an artery?
    It did for my horse; I am 99% sure I just have it to him orally from a syringe without a needle, not injected into the tongue. It is a bit of a blur - maybe it was an IM injection. Pretty sure just on the tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    That is not true. Fatalities from carotid sticks with banamine are usually from secondary causes (example: flipping over).

So sorry to hear about the OP's friend.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Bute is no better!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Well, either way, hugs for OP's friend. I can happen to anyone.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

My former vet (for reasons other than the described!) dropped one of my horses by hitting an artery with Banamine. Horse had a seizure and recovered well without medical intervention (other than the two of us sitting on his head to keep him down until he was able to get up without killing himself ).

Scary stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    Bute is no better!!
    IV bute can be scary stuff. I have never seen a carotid stick with IV bute, but I imagine it would be even uglier and more damaging than banamine due to it's caustic nature and the fact that it is more concentrated.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

I've never seen it happen in my years but I would suggest that if you dont know how to properly give an IV shot, ask your vet to show you how to do it. It isn't difficult but in an emergency banimine can be given orally.

Anaphylaxis and intra-arterial injection reactions are two different things.
    Administration of epinephrine for an arterial stick would not be of any particular benefit.

Taking the needle off the syringe and inserting it downward, towards the heart, will decrease the chances of an arterial stick. (and, if you do hit the artery, the blood spurting up into the air will be a clue that you shouldn't attach the syringe and inject...)
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Anaphylaxis and intra-arterial injection reactions are two different things.
    Administration of epinephrine for an arterial stick would not be of any particular benefit.

Taking the needle off the syringe and inserting it downward, towards the heart, will decrease the chances of an arterial stick. (and, if you do hit the artery, the blood spurting up into the air will be a clue that you shouldn't attach the syringe and inject...)
    Yes, and a procaine reaction from penicillin something different still.
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

This happened to one of my horses at the equine clinic where I worked. The vet was giving supportive care to my gelding with WNV. He gave the banamine IV and walked out of the stall. About 20 seconds later my gelding dropped and shook. I said "hey guys, what is going on". The gelding survived with no ill effect.

I've saw it happen to another horse but that horse was on cement when he fell. That was ugly.