Default Cooking Shrimp 101

Typically I don't eat anything that used to swim. I'm hit or miss on "other" meat too- I like ground beef and poultry. That's pretty much it. And I'm picky about my meat. I don't like to prepare it myself to be cooked (trim, slice, what have you) and if I get a yucky bite I pretty much have to force myself to eat any more. So I buy a lot of pulled rotisserie chicken meat and my brother sliced and cooked some chicken I can throw in stir fry.

I eat shrimp on occasion when it's in front of me and I had some come with my fajitas the other night and thought "I think I could eat more shrimp."

So that leads me to the main question: is there a way I can purchase shrimp that it is ready to be cooked. Like, frozen in a bag, for example. I don't want to peel, pull tails whatever else you might have to do. I just want to cook it and eat it.

Next question: How do you cook shrimp?

Educate me!

Generally they sell shrimp frozen that has been peeled, deveined and cooked.

All you have to do is to defrost it and eat it cold with shrimp sauce, that generally has horseradish and tomato, or in a salad, or you can warm it and mix it with an alfredo sauce and mixed on pasta.

Just look for bags that say "cooked" or "ready to eat".

It's in the freezer case-if it's pink, it's already been cooked.

Check the deli counter too, they probably have it too. In Montana I never really see shrimp that hasn't already been frozen but YMMV.

If it's already cooked it just needs to be warmed up. I just throw them in at the last minute so they get up to temp. If they cook too long they'll curl up and get rubbery.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

You can get raw peeled, deveined shrimp frozen in 1lb bags at Kroger-or most any grocery store. Only buy shrimp from the US; most comes from Thailand and is farmed.

How to cook:
    buy Zatarain's Shrimp and Crab Boil and follow directions for boiled shrimp. Otherwise, try barbequed shrimp which is basically shrimp scampi with a sauce of butter, worcestershire sauce and red pepper.

Red Cocktail Sauce
    Chili Sauce (bottled)
    horseradish
    Lemon juice
    worcestershire sauce

let your tastebuds decide how much of each.

New Orleans Barbequed Shrimp from Mr. B's Bistro

Don’t break out your grill for this dish. Here in New Orleans, barbecued shrimp means sautéed shrimp in Worcestershire-spiked butter sauce. We serve these shrimp with heads and tails on, so you need to dig in to enjoy. I highly recommend a bib.

We are famous for our barbecued shrimp, and with reason. The biggest trick to making this taste like ours is to not hold back on the butter. The three sticks called for are enough to scare you into cholesterol shock, but are key to the flavor and consistency of the sauce. Another tip to keep in mind: to emulsify the sauce, be sure to add a little butter at a time while stirring rapidly. And don’t overcook the shrimp or they’ll become tough and hard to peel.

16 jumbo shrimp (12 per pound, about 1 1/2 pounds), with heads and unpeeled
    1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
    2 teaspoons ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
    2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cubed
    French bread as accompaniment

In a large skillet combine shrimp, Worcestershire, lemon juice, black peppers, Creole seasoning, and garlic and cook over moderately high heat until shrimp turn pink, about 1 minute on each side. Reduce heat to moderate and stir in butter, a few cubes at a time, stirring constantly and adding more only when butter is melted. Remove skillet from heat. Place shrimp in a bowl and pour sauce over top. Serve with French bread for dipping.

Yield: 4 appetizers or 2 entrees

Of course you can use peeled and deveined raw shrimp, but they cook VERY quickly, so once they're done, remove them from the skillet and continue on with the sauce.

THIS sounds wonderful to me:
    Thai Peanut Sauce with Shrimp and Pineapple
    This tangy version of Thai peanut sauce is creamy, rich, tinged with chile and brightened with lime juice and fresh ginger. Make it your go-to peanut sauce recipe and use it on everything from chicken to beef to salad (crisp greens, like cabbage and Romaine, work well).
    Here, the sauce is paired with sweet, juicy pineapple and succulent shrimp, which broil in minutes. It’s a quick, satisfying dinner with the added bonus of leftover peanut sauce, which will keep well in the fridge for at least five days.
    TOTAL TIME
    30 minutes

Ingredients
    · 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter, preferably natural
    · 3 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
    · 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice, more as needed
    · 2 teaspoons brown sugar
    · 2 teaspoons soy sauce
    · 2 teaspoons grated ginger root
    · 1 garlic clove, minced
    · 1/2 teaspoon sriracha or other hot sauce
    · 1/4 teaspoon plus a pinch kosher salt, more as needed
    · 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut oil
    · 1/8 teaspoon crushed red chile flakes
    · 1 pound cleaned large shrimp
    · 2 cups pineapple chunks
    · Whole cilantro leaves and torn basil leaves, for garnish
    Preparation
    In a food processor or blender, combine peanut butter, coconut milk, 3 tablespoons hot water, lime juice, sugar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, sriracha and a pinch of salt. Purée until smooth. Add more lime juice and or salt to taste. Scrape into a bowl.
    Heat oven to 500 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk together peanut oil, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and chile flakes. Thread shrimp on skewers; brush all over with half the peanut oil mixture. Thread pineapple on separate skewers; brush with remaining oil mixture. Arrange shrimp and pineapple skewers on a large rimmed baking sheet.
    Roast skewers, turning them halfway through, until shrimp is opaque, about 5 minutes, and pineapple is lightly caramelized, about 10 minutes (use an oven mitt to remove shrimp skewers as they finish cooking but leave the pineapple in for longer). Sprinkle skewers with herbs and serve hot, with peanut sauce for dipping.
    YIELD
    Serves 4
    Last edited by vineyridge; Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:13 PM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Yes, only buy wild caught US shrimp. I am hooked on a knock off recipe of Bonefish's Bang Bang shrimp. I toss raw peeled and deveined shrimp, about a pound, in about a half cup of corn starch. Deep fry like 2 minutes. Toss in a sauce made of 1/2 cup mayo, 1/4 cup Mae Ploy and 2tsp Guy Fong chili garlic paste . Serve on a bed of shredded lettuce
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

1 members found this post helpful.

shrimp totally EASY

diagonally slice up some asparagus about 1 1/2 inch pieces

sauté til warm

add shrimp (if its raw cook til it turn pink about 3-4 min per side)
    it will curl slightly) if its precooked - heat til warm

add some cherry tomatos and heat til warm or the skin starts to crack - add when you turn the shrimp

if you want to go LUX bet some Roasted Peanut OIL and finish with a light sprinkle of this oil to give flavor

DONE

This is a favorite here, a shrimp and chorizo garlic broth with crusty bread for dipping. Num.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/s...ce-recipe.html
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

1 members found this post helpful.

As noted you can find peeled and deveined shrimp in the store. I like to buy it raw. I love gal so I just sautée some garlic in a little olive oil and then throw the shrimp in fora few minutes on each side. Sometimes I'll throw in vegetables in the mix too. Super easy.

I like it barbecued with mango salsa. Yummy!!!
    Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.

Oh, this makes me so hungry. Some really good ideas here. It cooks faster than you think. When it becomes opaque and firm and pink, it's done. No need to boil too hard or saute too high a heat. Gentle does it so it's not tough and chewy. Enjoy!

Go to the seafood counter in Kroger and tell them you would like a pound peeled and deveined....they will do it while you shop. Take home, toss in a colander and rinse. Spread in a single layer in a baking dish and pour Lawry's herb and garlic over top generously. Broil for a few mins on each side until pink. Easy healthy shrimp scampi!

Yes it cooks really fast! 3-5 minutes. I like to buy raw shrimp, peel and cook them, it is just better that way especially if I can find local Maine ones!

My favorite recipe is shrimp in a coconut/mango curry. We're having it on Friday. Yum!

All the recipes on this thread sound yummy!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Buy raw frozen, peeled, deveined US shrimp.

Fill pot with water, enough to completely submerge shrimp and room for them to float.

Add one can of your favorite beer

One full clove garlic

Bring to boil

Dump in shrimp

As soon as they float scoop them out

Put on or in anything.

Personally I like to cook spaghetti squash with peas and capers with a little red sauce.... Yummy!! (Frozen peas in collender and dump shrimp water over; they are done perfectly. No need to cook them)

PS works the same with fresh shrimp as well, they just cook faster.

Offshore shrimp/prawn is dubious - but we buy wild caught Mexican, and of course east coast Canadian.

Handpeeled shrimp is more expensive but has the best flavour; best for sandwiches, shrimp cocktail, etc. Machine peeled is less money, has less flavour and is much saltier. Merely o.k. for a dish that is cooked or in sauce.

You would not be interested in this, but if shrimp is whole, it has to be alive - once dead, there is an enzyme that goes into the meat and destroys its texture.

The supreme shrimp is B.C.'s Spot prawn - but expensive. There is a Spot Prawn festival.

Simplest for you is the ones in the bag, ready peeled and cooked and frozen.

Overcooking turns them rubbery - cook till just pink throughout. (Sushi lovers eat them raw.)
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Best shrimp I ever had, right off the boat in Gulfport, MS, steamed by the fish market, took it home, at the whole 2 lbs with ketchup and lemon. MMMMMM. Shrimp is good for you, pretty much fat free, and WW says you can eat all you can stuff down.

Farm raised shrimp is bland and not good. Avoid it in the stores. Depending upon where you live, you can buy "fresh" shrimp from seafood markets. However, a lot of that shrimp, even in coastal areas, has been treated with something that makes it taste "funny."
    You can buy frozen shrimp that was wild caught. It's better that the shrimp supra,
    I grew up here on the coast, and my grandfather went shrimping a lot, as well as crabbing and fishing. We had shrimp stew one morning out of the week for breakfast. With grits of course. So we ate a lot of seafood at all meals. We had a guy who came around 2 or 3 times a week and sold fresh shrimp by the coffee can amt to us when I was a kid. I buy from a shrimper around the river. They go out nightly in shrimping season, and freeze shrimp for out of season sales. Their shrimp is great, even frozen. The shrimp in grocery stores is older, and comes from out of state. I also buy shrimp from a guy who used to own a big horse barn here, and now has a farm up in methingham county. He sells his shrimp by the side of the road up there, and I call him to see if he's brought his boat in at Thunderbolt when I want shrimp.
    I heat water to a boil, put in my headed shrimp, and only boil till they turn bright pink. A few minutes. You don't want mushy shrimp if you overcook them. You can just drop the frozen mass of shrimp in the boiling water, and separate gradually with a fork. I only use salt to season. In Savannah, we don't use shrimp boil or crab boil, as we want to taste the seafood without the "hot" taste.
    Peel your own shrimp! They taste better. By the time a child here is a few years old, he/she can peel shrimp and shell crabs like an adult.