The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Smegma transfer???????

My new gelding had his sheath over cleaned by his loving but overzealous previous owner to the point that all his good flora was killed off. He has had 3 yeast infections in the 6 months I have had him. We have been treating it topicially when they occur - but the vet has recommended a "smegma transfer" from a healthy sheath to restore the natural flora. Anyone out there performed this procedure before?
    Thanks in advance.
    The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man (or woman). Winston Churchill

Never heard of it...but I nominate the same vet to do the dirty deed
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

11 members found this post helpful.

You know, that is one of those things that if the vet wants it done, he or she can just take care of it himself. It wouldn't be difficult if you have two geldings I suppose. Just reach in and get a good smearing on a glove and use the dirty glove on your subject horse right away.

We always used to use that plain yogurt for flora restoration for humans.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes, I have done this. Pony had half of his penis amputated due to cancer....and thereafter he had "wonky" smegma. I took some prime stuff from another gelding, put it in a jar with warm water, and shook/mixed it well. Then I used some surgical gauze to soak up the liquid and "dispense" it to the new location. It worked
    I think adding some plain yogurt to the mix is a great idea!

3 members found this post helpful.

Can't say I have ever heard of that but I guess it does kind of make sense. I assume you tried giving him some quality probiotics first?

The closest I've ever heard of this was stealing the cud from a healthy goat to give to a sick one who had gotten a rumen overload. Interesting.

I was told by my vet to mix the donor smegma with a bit of Vaseline and place it where needed. It worked, but I would have to do it once or twice a year. It was always fun asking friends if I could have some of their horses smegma.
    Last edited by shortenmyreins; Mar. 29, 2014 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Can't type good

The things I learn on COTH is amazing. Not to highjack this thread but could you imagine telling this to a non-horsey person?

37 members found this post helpful.

Crap, now I just remembered I have some cleaning to do today...

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

It's almost worth doing simply as a conversation sparkler at non-horsey functions when someone asks you about your day

I had A LOT of fun with it (in certain company)

Quote Originally Posted by Ridinwyoming View Post
    The things I learn on COTH is amazing. Not to highjack this thread but could you imagine telling this to a non-horsey person?
    Just have to tell your non-horsey friends that both geldings are now Smegma Brothers!

The gelding I'm taking care of could be a good smegma donor!!!

6 members found this post helpful.

My old guy could repopulate the entire world! He is a smegma factory. I asked my vet what he thought and he said bad groom. I told him I was the groom so I know that isn't the case. He said he is just dirty then. Ok....

5 members found this post helpful.

I passed this thread along to my (becoming horsey) SO who also happens to work in the medical field and is therefore usually unimpressed by nasty horse things. Even he had to admit that to a non-horsey person this was pretty gross! (And also told me that if either of our geldings ever needed a transfer that I'm to do it and then never, ever mention it to him).

6 members found this post helpful.

Oh, believe me, I am going to! Just for the reaction!

Thank you Shortenmyreins and Arlsomine for sharing your experiences. I am thankful for the COTH forums - where else could I ask such a question - LOl! I am going mining for smegma on Saturday - wish me luck.
    The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man (or woman). Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle50 View Post
    Thank you Shortenmyreins and Arlsomine for sharing your experiences. I am thankful for the COTH forums - where else could I ask such a question - LOl! I am going mining for smegma on Saturday - wish me luck.
    There have been recent articles re: doing something similar in humans with - well- um- shit

It comes under the same heading as worrying aloud whether FedEx was going to pick up that semen in a timely fashion. "Pick up what?"
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by RiderInTheRain View Post
    I passed this thread along to my (becoming horsey) SO who also happens to work in the medical field and is therefore usually unimpressed by nasty horse things. Even he had to admit that to a non-horsey person this was pretty gross! (And also told me that if either of our geldings ever needed a transfer that I'm to do it and then never, ever mention it to him).
    Shouldn't be too weird to him...they use fecal matter transfer in people for some types of intestinal problems. Can't remember the name of the disease, but it starts with a "C" I think and can be really serious.

2 members found this post helpful.

Commonly called c.dif. It's a particularly nasty and resistant bacteria that causes all sorts of intestinal issues.
    clostridium differens?

Yes, we've done fecal transplants (on humans ) at the hospital I work at, for C-diff (Difficile). It works best when the donor and do-nee live in the same household, so they have similar bacteria colonization and environment. Just some fyi for those of you with smegma needs...and I'm really glad I have a mare....
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

2 members found this post helpful.