The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    One more example of how government programs can be a disincentive to enter the workforce?
    That was kind of how I read it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh she's not a leech sucking on the government teat? I thought that's what all poor people were. Isn't it their own fault they are poor?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird! View Post
    Wow - this has actually been a very interesting thread. Thank you for all the feedback, and discussion. The thing that I don;t understand is why can't adults have something like PeachCare. I have been on Medicaid in the past, and it was horrible. I am quite willing to pay a monthly fee, but I certainly can't afford $1400 a month. This has really helped me to see how screwed up our system is. And to add to the Catch 22, I really can't work at a real job - right now I do a lot of side horsey jobs that pay cash - because if I make too much my kids get dropped from PeachCare, and I have to start giving half of my wages back to the Gov't. I have never been one to take hand outs, but I try to remind myself that my husband earned our Social Security.
    Are you serious? You're posting on a public forum that you are committing tax fraud and fraud against your state? And you're proud you don't take handouts? But it's OK to commit FRAUD?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

7 members found this post helpful.

One more example of how government programs can be a disincentive to enter the workforce?
    A disincentive to enter the workforce occurs in situations where a full time job doesn't pay enough to cover health care and child care. That's a reality for many people. We have two choices, either we increase benefits to the poor working stiffs (like many of the Walmart workers on Medicaid and food stamps) or we increase wages.
    Last edited by LauraKY; Mar. 27, 2014 at 01:49 PM. Reason: A
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

3 members found this post helpful.

You know, there must be people smart enough to set up a system that actually provides incentives for upward mobility and to get people off public assistance. A "graduated help" system that at least keeps someone on an even steven basis, financially, while encouraging them to work, and work their way up the ladder or to better paying jobs. As it stands now, in somewhere upwards of 16 states, people make more on assistance programs than getting an entry level job. So why the heck would they not just stay at home? I'd like to see a program that where someone initially applies for assistance they also set up a long term program with stepping stones to get off assistance, whether it be an apprenticeship, government work with private industry program, where the government helps pay the wages of someone a company hires through their training program, education, etc .

There are disincentives to enter the workforce and there are disincentives to enter the work force. I have absolutely no problem with someone now being able to leave a job to go home and raise his or her kids because of ACA. I have absolutely no problem with someone leaving a job so s/he can go back to school because of ACA. I have absolutely no problem with someone taking early retirement because of ACA. I have absolutely no problem with someone leaving a job to start a business because of ACA. These are good for our society. Stronger families, retirees leaving the workforce and freeing up jobs, people increasing their education, etc.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

7 members found this post helpful.

But don't you have to file taxes even if you don't owe anything? I know in Canada you have to file no matter what!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Quote Originally Posted by SGray View Post
    FB -- please edit your post and delete information regarding side income (that information could be used against you)

I deleted my post, however since LauraKy was so quick to quote me, It really doesn't matter. Whatever. FWIW, I am not out there teaching lessons. What little money I do get here and there is a gift, and is given as such, as a gift card etc. While I do get Social Security, again, Social Security is not a hand out - it was earned. I am not on Welfare or food stamps, or any other type of Gov't support, other than my children being on PeachCare. I'm sure had I lied on the US HealthCare application - as the Insurance broker suggested - this wouldn't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
    But don't you have to file taxes even if you don't owe anything? I know in Canada you have to file no matter what!
    I live in a house on my parents property, and because he owns the house, and my income was so little - they don't count SS - he was able to file me as a dependant.

I deleting my post, however since LauraKy was so quick to quote me, It really doesn't matter. Whatever. FWIW, I am not out there teaching lessons. What little money I do get here and there is a gift, and is given as such, as a gift card etc. While I do get Social Security, again, Social Security is not a hand out - it was earned. I am not on Welfare or food stamps, or any other type of Gov't support, other than my children being on PeachCare. I'm sure had I lied on the US HealthCare application - as the Insurance broker suggested - this wouldn't be an issue.
    If you're getting those "gifts" in exchange for a service, they're not really gifts, they're income and you should be reporting their value as such.

I seriously doubt ANY governor, democrat or republican makes a major decision "just because they could and they hate the President". What a totally partisan juvenile statement. All governors try to make decisions that are the best for their state as a whole, as they see it. Whether it be for budget reasons today or looking down the road into the future. We make think they're wrong or stupid or ignorant or whatever. But that blanket partisan statement is hateful and ridiculous.
    Banging head on desk
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper221 View Post
    If you're getting those "gifts" in exchange for a service, they're not really gifts, they're income and you should be reporting their value as such.
    Again, I did not have to file taxes, because totaling the gifts was still way under the amount needed to have to file taxes. For the past two years I have used my parents Tax Consultant, and I am pretty sure he would not advise us to do anything illegal.

So wait, you do not make enough to file taxes, but the amount you make is too much to qualify for Medicare?

https://www.1040.com/federal-taxes/f...who-must-file/

Any "Qualifying Widow(er) with Dependent Child" who has earned more than $16,100 must file taxes.

http://www.medicaid.gov/Medicaid-CHI...igibility.html

Per Federal guidelines, Medicaid must be provided to those who are at 100% of poverty level or below (expanded states make it available for those at 133% of poverty level) - Poverty level for a family of three is $19,790.00

So, I am confused, not enough to file taxes (less than $16,000) should make you eligible for Medicaid. If you earn too much for Medicaid, I would think you would have to file taxes.

I have been paying attention to these laws, because my mother is on a very small fixed income (disability), and she had failed to file taxes recently (even though she wouldn't owe - rather gets a refund). She HAD to file this year so that she would qualify for Affordable Healthcare Act subsidies - which have been a godsend for her! Monthly premium went from close to $700 (vast majority of her income) to around $200 (us kids had been supporting her so she could afford healthcare before "Obamacare").

Sswor, I agree with you about term limits and campaign financing. I'm also a supporter of eliminating the electoral college.

Head desk is right. Obama et al. (particularly Pelosi) has sold the reduction of work hours to 29/week caused by Obamacare as something that we should embrace b/c it is going to allow us to "explore our dreams", and all that sort of bs. In reality, a 29 hour work week means many people will be working 2 or 3 jobs to legitimately make a living and buy insurance. OR, there will be people who work 29 hours a week and do side work under the table in order to afford Obamacare and "explore their dreams." Really, I don't know why people here are so surprised by FB's post. What did you expect??
    If you have a poor mouth, you'll have a poor life. Joel Osteen

I deleted my post, however since LauraKy was so quick to quote me, It really doesn't matter. Whatever. FWIW, I am not out there teaching lessons. What little money I do get here and there is a gift, and is given as such, as a gift card etc. While I do get Social Security, again, Social Security is not a hand out - it was earned. I am not on Welfare or food stamps, or any other type of Gov't support, other than my children being on PeachCare. I'm sure had I lied on the US HealthCare application - as the Insurance broker suggested - this wouldn't be an issue.
    It really depends on how much you earn on the side jobs to get all screechy and start throwing the word "fraud" around.

" How much money do I have to make to file taxes? It might seem like one of the few upsides to making hardly any money is that you don't have to worry about doing taxes for that year. Anyone who earns under a certain income, determined by age, dependency, and filing status, is exempt from having to report those earnings to the IRS. For an independent, single person under the age of 65, for example, that number is $9,500 (efile.com provides a table that breaks it all down.)"

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/...tions-answered

In addition, the guidelines for SSN income (and also SSI depending on your particular situation)-

http://www.irs.gov/Help-&-Resources/...ility-Benefits

SO, with that, technically the IRS wants you to claim and and all income or cash. Publication 525 goes over all that.They also want all bartered goods and services, etc., claimed and taxed as well. That means if you groom my horse for a banana split, it will need to be accounted for by the IRS. For those of you screeching, have you made sure to report every favor or barter? What about cute raffle prizes at horse shows??
    http://www.irs.gov/uac/Reporting-Miscellaneous-Income
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Back to the OP's situation: OP, does the father of your oldest child pay child support? Did you have the court require him to provide health insurance for his child? The courts in this state, GA, can and do require that a father pay for the health care for his children through their college years. If he's paying child support for your child, then he should be providing for his child on his (the father's) health insurance policy. You're in a county where the courts make men pay for child support and health care for their children or they go to jail. I'm always amazed how parents, both male and female, come up with lots of money when the judge says pay or go to jail. Make sure your eldest child is covered by insurance through his father's policy. That takes one more child off of the state's expense.

4 members found this post helpful.

The father of my oldest child pays child support on a somewhat regular basis...or at least he has for the past few months. I would love for his father to provide healthcare for him, but it ain't happening, he just doesn't have the money. As for going to jail for not paying child support - I haven't seen it happen yet (in our case) It's apparently quite easy to take a break from paying, and then when they suspend your license, just make a few late payments and voila, you are back in business.

And Twotrudoc - you are correct. The gift cards, cash etc. is well under the limit to have to file it with the IRS.

OK, so tomorrow walk into the state child support office in your county and have them collect your money. It is a state organization, although some District Attorneys do administer it still. (some gave it up when the state took it over years ago, but some DAs do have a state child support office adjacent to their offices. ) It is a state agency, and the state lawyers there will collect all back child support owed, and will check and see if the father of your child has health insurance. They can force him to pay. He will be dealing with the child support office and not with you. So the service is free to you and the state lawyers are free to you. This has been in effect forever, many decades. It's effective and it works. And the judges do not take excuses from people who do not support their kids.
    Go tomorrow. First thing. GEt child support back payments for your child, and see if the father has health insurance or can AFFORD to pay for health insurance for the child.

4 members found this post helpful.

Just for FYI, here in WA (which is of course different than GA I'm sure but for an idea) child support garnishment is common. It is dealt with by the state anbd employer-and that includes healthcare. The employer simply receives paperwork instructing to start a garnish for pay and then also a demand to add the dependent to any health care the father (or mother sometimes) has. No mess, no fuss. No drama!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

C&C...I get it. I know. He pays through DCFS, who sends the payment to me. I have made many, many trips to the child support office. As long as he is making some sort of effort, they won't put him in jail. He cannot afford to pay for health insurance for himself, let alone his kid. It would be like trying to squeeze oil from a lemon.

Edited to add: they can't garnish his wages because he gets paid under the table, as a Groom. We've been at this for 8 years.....