The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Angry So....apparently I make too much for Medicaid, but not enough for ObamaCare.....

Makes, sense...right? I'm not sure what the point of my post is, besides the fact that I just want blasted health insurance. Geez!!! So, I am back filling out the Us.Healthcare yet again.......

It sounds like, unfortunately, your state was one that opted out of expanded medicaid to cover people like you. You're collateral damage from political fighting I'm afraid. Some states are trying to fix it at the 11th hour so fingers crossed.

http://thehill.com/blogs/healthwatch...xpansion-would

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

18 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    It sounds like, unfortunately, your state was one that opted out of expanded medicaid to cover people like you. You're collateral damage from political fighting I'm afraid. Some states are trying to fix it at the 11th hour so fingers crossed.

http://thehill.com/blogs/healthwatch...xpansion-would

Paula
    That's right. The states that refused the Medicaid expansion leave their residents in limbo. Too poor to afford the subsidy, make too much for Medicaid.

You can thank the Supreme Court, your governor and your state legislatures.

Now if Congress was working, they would have fixed it and at least made sure you got a subsidy, but all the GOP wants to do is repeal it.
    Last edited by LauraKY; Mar. 25, 2014 at 06:11 PM.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

18 members found this post helpful.

Tha'ts right. The governor of my native state, Nathan Deal (whom I did not vote for, Roy Barnes was my friend and he was honest so he lost that election) opposes Obamacare. If anyone voted for him, it's your fault as we all knew how he is. He made sure that my state has unhealthy (as well as uneducated) poor people.

This is the same state where the US Rep who is running for the senate (who represents my area but I've never voted for him either) said kids who got "free" lunches at schools should have to swept the cafeterias to pay for their lunches. So anyone who votes for that guy is voting for letting poor kids go hungry.

And this is the same state where 2 doctors, 2 doctors, are running for that senate seat, and both of those doctors think women can prevent rape and prevent conception by just thinking that they won't get raped or pregnant. Again, if you vote for either of those guys (or did vote for them as they are presently elected officials) you are voting against women. God only knows what they think children do to "cause" child molestation.

You get what you vote for. Or in my case, not whom I voted for but I'm in the minority. And yes, I have health insurance, through Fulton County Government.

15 members found this post helpful.

btw, all minor children in GA are covered by PeachCare, even if they do not have insurance. And they get the same great surgeons at hospitals as do children whose parents have health insurance. PeachCare has been around for a long time, but I'm sure that our governor and his cronies will try to get rid of it too.

One of the nice teens who worked at the first barn I had C&C at ended up with a broken femur when a boarder's horse flipped over in her, and Dr. Wu, a great surgeon, operated and put a titanium plate in her thigh. And they didn't cut off her riding boots, either.

8 members found this post helpful.

Did you have insurance before or are you trying to get it for the first time.If your insurance was cancelled because of ACA, you might be able to get it back.The administration "walked that back", well temporarily.

3 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Does the minimum amount for subsidy eligibility change from state to state? Here it's less than 14k for a single person, less than 24K for a couple. If you don't make the poverty level, which is the minimum for subsidies, you could use your earned income tax credit to pay for insurance.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Barnes was not honest. He gave teachers "gift cards" then screwed us with furlough days. I would have rather had my full contract.

Oh wait, I am outside of I-285 so we do not matter.

2 members found this post helpful.

I had great insurance when my DH was alive, and was able to keep it for a year after he died, but after that it was going to cost $1400 a month to keep it. I tried to get private insurance, but was unable to due to my preexisting conditions. So, here I am. I actually did not have to file taxes this year, because right now my income is Social Security. I'm actually bummed about this, since I got a nice chunk of change for last year's tax return. My kids both have PeachCare and it's been wonderful.

Your problem with the coverage gap is with your Republican elected officials. They screwed you by rejecting the Medicare expansion just because they could and just because they hate the President. And you would think that screwing this many people this badly would have negative political repercussions. The problem is people don't really understand what's going on. They just blame Obamacare because that's what they hear.

If I lived in your state, or any other state that rejected Medicaid expansion I would get very vocal about it to my elected officials and send a paper letter outlining to them exactly how their political sit-in was affecting me.

8 members found this post helpful.

I was wondering for a relative who is highly subsidized by another relative if they could claim the subs ideation as a gift on their income taxes to get up to the minimum. Does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Luseride View Post
    Barnes was not honest. He gave teachers "gift cards" then screwed us with furlough days. I would have rather had my full contract.

Oh wait, I am outside of I-285 so we do not matter.
    Yeah, I've only known Roy personally since 1968, so I'm sure that the teacher's union push for him to cut the # of years that they have to work to get their full pensions had nothing to do with your voting for Sonny Perdue (plus the confederate flag issue) or voting for nathan Deal. Roy Barnes is an honest politician and an honest lawyer, and I cannot say that for many of them.

But this is an election year in GA, OP. You can vote for, or against, the politicians who have tried to set GA back to where everyone must fend for herself, except the politicians of course, who get all the $ they want out of the general fund (where most fines and taxes go, and now even lottery funds, which used to go to education.) Whether a politician is a democrat or a republican, he/she should serve the public, not the "special interests" which give millions in bribes to them. Oh yeah, the insurance companies here in GA do not want Obanacare at all. Too bad for GA. More bribes for politicians. Vote.

It strikes me as particularly disgusting how politicians threw people on the fire apparently just to make a point, just to stick it to their political foe. It seemed quite cold blooded to me, but nobody seems to be as wound up about it around here. PA was one of those states where there will be no medicaid expansion -so too poor for ACA, not poor enough for medicaid -sucks to be you. All this just to prove ACA as bad. And I bet so many of them claim to be people of faith too (my pet peeve).

Here is the most recent expansion list http://www.advisory.com/daily-briefi...rs/medicaidmap

For these states Medcaid will pick up someone like the OP. As I understand it too, the new Medicaid rules this year have done away with the zero assets requirement as well!

Paula

5 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I'm in the same (uninsured) boat

I have just SSI - Widows Benefit - as income but Medicaid will cover me ONLY if I bankrupt myself - I made the "mistake" of having money in retirement accounts that precludes my eligibility. And (how dare I!) own my house with just a small mortgage.
    Not a fortune, not even enough to guarantee a solid retirement income, but unless all of that goes away, Medicaid in my state still says "Nope" and the marketplace is offering me coverage of ~$600/mo or more.
    Not exactly affordable.....

So I'll probably end up paying the penalty this year and hold out for Medicare when I'm eligible next year.
    Anyone got a better idea?
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Check on Medicaid again about the assets -rules changed this year so you might not have to meet that requirement. Fingers crossed. The penalty will be out of next year's taxes and I bet you'll be able to get out of it in your situation.

But yes, do check Medicaid again about the assets thing. Otherwise I am so very sorry you are in this mess.

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by Sswor View Post
    Your problem with the coverage gap is with your Republican elected officials. They screwed you by rejecting the Medicare expansion just because they could and just because they hate the President. And you would think that screwing this many people this badly would have negative political repercussions. The problem is people don't really understand what's going on. They just blame Obamacare because that's what they hear.

If I lived in your state, or any other state that rejected Medicaid expansion I would get very vocal about it to my elected officials and send a paper letter outlining to them exactly how their political sit-in was affecting me.

I seriously doubt ANY governor, democrat or republican makes a major decision "just because they could and they hate the President". What a totally partisan juvenile statement. All governors try to make decisions that are the best for their state as a whole, as they see it. Whether it be for budget reasons today or looking down the road into the future. We make think they're wrong or stupid or ignorant or whatever. But that blanket partisan statement is hateful and ridiculous.

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Check on Medicaid again about the assets -rules changed this year so you might not have to meet that requirement. Fingers crossed. The penalty will be out of next year's taxes and I bet you'll be able to get out of it in your situation.

But yes, do check Medicaid again about the assets thing. Otherwise I am so very sorry you are in this mess.

Paula
    Is this the asset thing you are talking about??
    http://m.dailykos.com/story/2013/10/...d-Consequences

It is all terribly confusing and hurting people.

Minnie I would have said the same thing, but politicians haven't been embarrassed to say that they were working toward this goal. It blew my mind that they wouldn't even be coy about it. The evidence has been that a pitiful government has become particularly incompetent of late.

SLW, I imagine there are a lot of caveats behind the medicaid expansion, but yes, now apparently you do not have to have zero assets to qualify for medicaid. I think this is federal, but I could be wrong.

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    I'm in the same (uninsured) boat

I have just SSI - Widows Benefit - as income but Medicaid will cover me ONLY if I bankrupt myself - I made the "mistake" of having money in retirement accounts that precludes my eligibility. And (how dare I!) own my house with just a small mortgage.
    Not a fortune, not even enough to guarantee a solid retirement income, but unless all of that goes away, Medicaid in my state still says "Nope" and the marketplace is offering me coverage of ~$600/mo or more.
    Not exactly affordable.....

So I'll probably end up paying the penalty this year and hold out for Medicare when I'm eligible next year.
    Anyone got a better idea?
    If you fall in the gap where you should be eligible for Medicaid, but you're not because your state refused the expansion, you won't have to pay the penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird! View Post
    I had great insurance when my DH was alive, and was able to keep it for a year after he died, but after that it was going to cost $1400 a month to keep it. I tried to get private insurance, but was unable to due to my preexisting conditions. So, here I am. I actually did not have to file taxes this year, because right now my income is Social Security. I'm actually bummed about this, since I got a nice chunk of change for last year's tax return. My kids both have PeachCare and it's been wonderful.
    Do you have ANY earned income? If you do, you qualify for the earned income tax credit, but you have to file a tax return to receive it.

From the IRS, regarding the earned income tax credit:

Rules for every taxpayer:
    Must have earned income, such as wages, tips or the income from running a business or farm. Most other types of income, such as retirement pensions, though usually taxable, do not count as earned income;

Must have a Social Security number that is valid for employment for self, spouse and any qualifying children;

A person can get the credit even with a small amount of investment income, such as interest from a bank account. However, the amount of investment income is limited to $3,300;

The filing status used must be single, head of household, married filing jointly or qualifying widow or widower. A taxpayer who files as married filing separately cannot get the credit;

Generally, must be either a U.S. citizen or resident alien;

Cannot be a qualifying child of another person;

Cannot file Form 2555 or Form 2555-EZ. These forms are used to claim the foreign earned income exclusion, a tax benefit for Americans who live and work abroad.