The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default March Madness anyone?

I havent seen a thread on this yet...

This is my first year getting REALLY into March Madness. I've filled out brackets before, and watched some games, but this year I'm very into it. I suppose this might have something to do with the fact that I live in Charlottesville, and UVA won the regular season and ACC Championship!
    (We are currently playing for a position in the sweet 16!)

Anyone else?!

My bracket was SUPERB (only missed 5) in the first round, but has suffered MASSIVELY since. Still doing quite well overall.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

WaHooWa! Go Hoos Go!

I root for UVA and UConn, will be a tough game for me if they meet in the elite eight.

1 members found this post helpful.

I admit I don't care much for basketball but always watch my alma mater Iowa State play any sport. I looked into getting tickets to see them play Friday at MSG but you have to buy tickets for the whole region so the cheapest seats are $200. Not sure I want to see them that badly!

Only interest in March Madness is with regards to when it will finally be over.

SU fan here. So bummed out. March Madness often been a great respite to the worst month of the winter. Oh, well. Time to polish the silver or scrub the grout in the tile floors.

Or, get back to work work. ;-)
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Yeah tickets aint cheap unfortunately. Would be fun to go to a game, but I definitely cant swing it with ticket prices plus travel.

We ended up winning, so WAHOOWA! This is a pretty big deal for us, so I'm pretty excited. We're also the last team left from the ACC, so I feel like we need to represent!

I had Iowa winning on my bracket, so I'm hoping they go on to the elite 8!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Only interest in March Madness is with regards to when it will finally be over.
    Agreed! I live near a lot of sports bars so things get squirrelly at night whenever something like March Madness rolls around.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I enjoy the brackets, and the build up. I was happy to see Kentucky beat Witchita today,.. and Im a Wisconsin fan. I always put up VCU from Va, over the Spiders or UVA, but no go this year.

I'm a Pack fan and alumna so obviously I have no pony in the contest thanks to our gut-wrenching loss to St Louis. Glad to see Virginia is still in it from the ACC - I'll pull for them! Also pulling for Dayton since Archie Miller, former NCSU player, is their head coach. Was surprised that Duke fell out so early and was not sad to see Carolina lose last night. I was waiting to see if the refs were going to keep the game fair with regards to the time left on the clock or if they were going to bail Carolina out. It was pretty obvious what the right answer was and I'm glad they made the right call, even if it was a tough ending to a close game.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat518 View Post
    Yeah tickets aint cheap unfortunately. Would be fun to go to a game, but I definitely cant swing it with ticket prices plus travel.

We ended up winning, so WAHOOWA! This is a pretty big deal for us, so I'm pretty excited. We're also the last team left from the ACC, so I feel like we need to represent!

I had Iowa winning on my bracket, so I'm hoping they go on to the elite 8!
    Thanks for the support but it's Iowa STATE! Iowa is our most hated rivals who didn't even make the tournament. I don't like that they make you buy tickets to the whole region because people only go to the game they are interested then their seat is empty the rest of the time. Makes it look like nobody cares about the games.

Mr P and I graduated from the University of Louisville....and we HATE UK
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

So sad to see KU lose already. But they weren't having a very consistent season as is. Wasn't expecting them to go far, but would have been cool to see a repeat of 2008.

And of course my other two Kansas teams are out too. Bummer about Wichita! They were doing great. It would have been awesome to have them beat Kentucky. Nobody around here is really a Kentucky fan.

Now that my teams are out I'm rooting for Iowa State.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Mr ddashaq and I are from Ames (Iowa State) and he went to HS with Hoiberg so we are big fans. GO STATE!

Living in Lexington, I fall on the UK side of the UK/Louisville rivalry so that game should be exciting, too!

3 members found this post helpful.

Every year my husband brings home a special bracket for me to play, where he's got each team listed by mascots. In my "Who Sarah Likes Best" bracket, at least the Huskies still have a chance, although the Great Danes (my overall winner), the Bulldogs, and the Terriers are all out. In my "Who Sarah Thinks Would Win In A Fight" bracket, the Badgers are still in, but somehow the Bearcats were defeated. I mean, Bearcats sounded pretty badass.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

3 members found this post helpful.

Go Gators!

I hate the squeaky shoes and the games interrupt my favorite shows.

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat518 View Post
    Also, I am a Hokie and can no longer like you
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Well, I've lived in the Dayton area my entire life, so basketball fever is REALLY high here. I'm so interested in basketball, but I'm really pleased for the UD team that they are doing so well. There were over 1000 people waiting to greet them at 3:30 in the morning when they got back this weekend. The video I watched had me in tears.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    Every year my husband brings home a special bracket for me to play, where he's got each team listed by mascots. In my "Who Sarah Likes Best" bracket, at least the Huskies still have a chance, although the Great Danes (my overall winner), the Bulldogs, and the Terriers are all out. In my "Who Sarah Thinks Would Win In A Fight" bracket, the Badgers are still in, but somehow the Bearcats were defeated. I mean, Bearcats sounded pretty badass.
    Okay now this sounds like fun. I bet I'd be really good at it.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    Well my team is the cyclones. A tornado should be able to blow all those off their feet!

Well, since they beat SU, now I'll also be rooting for them. We are all bummed out here, but your team really played well.

Quote Originally Posted by spotteddrafter View Post
    Well, I've lived in the Dayton area my entire life, so basketball fever is REALLY high here. I'm so interested in basketball, but I'm really pleased for the UD team that they are doing so well. There were over 1000 people waiting to greet them at 3:30 in the morning when they got back this weekend. The video I watched had me in tears.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes