The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    On PBS: Call the Midwife-- based in the late 50s London, based on real stories of a midwife's experiences in post-war east end. Lots of "Masterpiece Theater" reruns available, too.
    Call the Midwife is coming back with more new shows, starting next Sunday (3/30).

1 members found this post helpful.

Here's EVERYTHING!!!

http://www.shoppbs.org/family/index....321&cp=2729306

(May want to keep the safety catch on your credit card at first; I speak from experience!)

And of course there's Julian Fellowes' film, Gosford Park- Dame Maggie Smith and everything!

I, too, am feeling the loss of Downton. Luckily there are Call the Midwife and Mr. Selfridge. Love them both!! Good news is they're both starting up again soon.

My other non-PBS show is MadMen. I so,e times hesitate to recommend it to newbies as it would be a bit hard to just jump in, but it's worth it.
    www.MillcreekSpreaders.com
    Stainless Steel Compact Spreaders with Lifetime Warranty Against Floor & Body Rust-Through

You might like I,Claudius. It is riveting...and there are lots of episodes.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I'm gonna say it...

Game of Thrones

Although you might also not like it. But it's a very interesting show with a riveting world, and if you get sucked in, you get reaaaally sucked in.

Hart of Dixie is also a really adorable show. Not very Downtown like, of course, but easy watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    On PBS: Call the Midwife-- based in the late 50s London, based on real stories of a midwife's experiences in post-war east end. Lots of "Masterpiece Theater" reruns available, too.
    I love 'Call the Midwife' - really the 'unDownton' set in the grinding poverty of the eastend of London after the war...but so moving, sweet, funny, sad. Brilliant.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieB View Post
    Call the Midwife is coming back with more new shows, starting next Sunday (3/30).

can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by hoopoe View Post
    while it is not contemporary, nothing holds a candle to the original Upstairs Downstairs

Loved UD. We have the whole series on DVD. I also really liked the UD 'revisited' - only about 4 episodes, but I really thought it was good.

Completely different, but I love it, is The Vicar of Dibbley. Smart, funny, sad, silly, Dawn French......can watch it over and over.

I second "Manor House," available on Amazon Prime. I preferred "Regency House Party" though 'cos I'm an Austen addict...
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Parade's End is good too.... It has Benedict Cumberbatch in it...

From the shop PBS list, "Love in a Cold Climate", funny, warm, and starting in the late Downton period (1920's) continuing thru WW II. The 1985 version with Judi Dench, not the later one.

It's also available on Netflix.
    Only part of me worries...the other part doesn't believe in it.
    Wings of Desire

The Nancy Mitford novel? Didn't know it had been made into a series.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Lightbulb

Ripper Street - Matthew McFadyen as a London copper - need I say more?

Bletchley Circle - brainy women solving gory mysteries. Very well-rounded characters.

The Mill on the Floss - beautiful.

Inspector George Gently - great characters, gorgeous countryside (meant to be Northumberland, but filmed in Ireland, iirc)

Brideshead Revisited (both the old one and the newer one) - both are visually stunning, both with fantastic leads

The Jewel in the Crown - one of the originals, and still one of the best

The Hour - puts Mad Men to shame!

Foyle's War - just perfect.

The Barchester Chronicles - another one of the originals, and ditto still one of the best.
    Last edited by Romany; Mar. 24, 2014 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Memory loss

it's not something to watch, but a good book about the period is "the glitter and the gold," the (ghostwritten) autobiography of the duchess of marlborough (whose divorce was mentioned in passing at dinner or something on DA once). looks stuffy but it's surprisingly readable.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Glitter-Go.../dp/1250017181

(includes a mention of stomping about in frustration after being thrown from her horse while hunting. )
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

The show with Glenn Close is Damages. I never watched it, but it got decent reviews.

One of the underrated shows that I love is The Good Wife. Its got kind of that dramatic, soapy feel that Downton has but its very well written and acted with a lot of chemistry between all the characters. Obviously its not a period drama but its still excellent!

Janet, actually two of them have been made. The one I'm referring to, mid-1980's, is my fav. But Thames TV did not make it available on DVD until just the last couple of years, so you couldn't even purchase it thru PBS.

I thought with how famous Judi Dench had gotten they would have done so long before then!

The 2nd, also on Masterpiece, in 2003 I believe, isn't....bad, but it is much shorter, many of the characters were merged with others or eliminated completely. And didn't seem true to the books. Rosamund Pike played Fanny, who is supposed to be the plain cousin, and she was actually prettier than the girl playing Linda, who was supposed to be the glamorous one.
    Only part of me worries...the other part doesn't believe in it.
    Wings of Desire

"Flambards"
    older, with lots of fox hunting.

..though I was rolling eyes at stable boy being called by first name.
    Hunh, I don't think so!

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    How about the Poldarks? Set in 18th century Cornwall.
    Oh I loved this show. Knew about it for years but didn't watch it until recently. That Ross was very easy on the eyes. And I think a guy would like the show too.

Honestly, any BBC adaptation of any classic novel will be good. They've got the locations and talented actors to do that sort of thing well.

"Lark Rise to Candleford". Also the series about the woman doctor in the late 19th Century, played by Jemma Redgrave called "Bramwell". I am just now watching a detective series called "Wycliffe", set in Cornwall, scenery is stunning but it is from mid 20th Century. You might also like the series set in Ireland called "Ballykissangel".

Oh and thank you to whoever referenced "Foyle's War", I was trying to remember the name of this and could not. Really good series, I loved it.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy