The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

A friend of my father's was hiking in Yosemite with his family. He was a kid, maybe a young teen. Not sure how old his brother was. All of a sudden, his brother was just gone. Gone! No clue, nothing. Ever. It's been 40+ years.

These stories are heartbreaking. I don't want t imagine how painful it would be go to through that.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

1 members found this post helpful.

It is a bit unsettling to see this many stories - just from COTHers! Eek...

16 members found this post helpful.

A friend and race horse trainer went to our local reservoir fishing one evening in April. They found his truck and boat trailer there the next day but no sign of him. Local police were pretty sure that he drowned but could not find the body. They even used a cadavor sniffing dog who was trained for water searches. (Divers did find several stolen and submerged vehicles that they didn't know were down on the bottom!) Speculation then was that he staged his disapperance as he was going through a troubled time in his life. Terribly hard on his family as he left small childern behind. Six weeks later his body did finially surface.

Quite a few runners were washing up on our coast, some with feet still in them.
    They found the identity of some of them, others no. It was/is really weird.
    (Runners float)
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

A client's daughter went missing on her way back to college in Northern California and was never heard from again. Several years later, a car went off the interstate and into an aqueduct, and when the emergency services arrived and went to pull out that car, they discovered my client's daughter's car too, which had been submerged the entire time, with her inside. She most probably had fallen asleep at the wheel.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

I recall the story of the elderly gent who drove off the road and landed on another car that had done the same thing not too long before, killing the occupant. the elderly gent was injured but survived probably because the first guy broke his fall.

I also recall one would be disappearance that was reported by the guy's OnStar airbag deployment - they NEVER would have found him in the rough country but the satellite did.

And a friend of a friend who fell asleep and drove into a thickly wooded streambed, died there. The sheriff stopped his search and the friends got together and walked the most likely route driven, fanning out down embankments and such. There were always plenty of those on the coast - some reported by fishing boats that had a good view of a cliffside.

To have someone disappear is so hard though, at least discovering remains gives closure.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

A former classmate:
    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...er_leslie.html

I live a just few blocks from the apartment where she was likely abducted, and driving by it is an almost daily a reminder of this sad mystery.

Two members of my high school cross country team on a training run pre-season. The girl left her jacket in the meadow we ran up to, and coach sent the two of them back to get it. We had really only been about 5 minutes down the trail when they turned and went back to get her coat. They should have easily caught back up to us as we were exhausted from the run up the mountain and weren't moving very fast down it. But they never caught up, and at some point one of his friends asked where he was, and coach stopped us all. Once we established they had not caught up, coach sent the rest of us on down to the parking lot to get help (way before cell phones here) and he went back up to look for them.

Days later her body was found at the bottom of a thousand foot granite cliff face, and a couple days after that his body was finally found 800 feet farther down. There is a turn off on the trail that looks very muchlike the main trail only instead it leads right to the top of a cliff. In the dusk, they obviously took the wrong trail (which at the time was not marked) and ran right off the cliff. She was wearing his jacket, so they figure she never found hers.

It was a horrible, awful time for all of us. This was back when the coaches had leeway to do pretty much whatever they wanted, and that run had been an annual thing at least since 3 years before when my older brother did that training run. No one knew that cliff face was there at the time. Needless to say...the district changed a lot of their policies on field trips, etc, after this.

The hardest part were the rumours from people who weren't even there, claiming the two of them snuck off for some quick sex, or various other things (drug smoking, etc). They were GOOD kids who were not involved in a romantic relationship or anything else. The whole school mourned for months it felt like.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...2&slug=1303256
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

2 members found this post helpful.

OK guys, all your stories are sad, so I'm going to tell you a funny disappearance story. In Atlanta, a casual friend of mine was a young defense lawyer, who practiced mainly over in federal court. He got involved with some big time crime guys, and got caught by the feds, so he snitched on his clients. The feds put my friend, his wife and their baby into witness protection. All were Atlanta natives with family there. So he disappeared and none of us knew anything about where he was. Six months later I was at the grocery store when he walked up behind me. Seems he and his wife got homesick, and since they were very close to their Jewish families, they decided to bail out of federal witness protection way out in California. As far as I know, they've not disappeared again although I lost touch with him as he gave up his law license when he went into witness protection.

I've never had a friend or family member who was abducted. I cannot imagine the pain of not knowing what happened to a loved one.

6 members found this post helpful.

Scary fact: It is pretty much known that at any given time there are 30-50 active serial killers operating in the US alone. Occasional/currently inactive serial killers ready to jump out of hiatus and resume killing? Probably brings the real number to around 300. I researched this when my DH made fun of me for being so anal about locking doors. Always be vigilant.

http://www.ask.com/question/how-many...es-at-any-time

I read through that charleyproject.org for my state and I have to admit, it was freaky that the same few towns showed up over and over. Some you can discount to obvious relationship issues, or maybe gang/violent lifestyles... but some of the towns mentioned where someone disappeared are tiny little towns. Twice men disappeared when they were going to look at a truck for sale in the tiny little town-like 400 people. It's strange to see the patterns filter out, right or wrong who knows but knowing the state as I do it was WEIRD. It's a dangerous world, still.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

His older brother was in my class. It pretty much messed them all up for life. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Gosch

Wow. So much heartache. I can't imagine...and hope I never have to Blessings to all of you who have endured this, directly or indirectly.
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

http://z10.invisionfree.com/usedtobedoe/ar/t10416.htm

I was teaching in the school system that the daughters attended. I taught the 2 youngest, the older of the two when this happened and the younger sister a year later.

It was a very sad and stressful time for them. I remember both girls being SO VERY responsible, great students, and just wonderful individuals overall.

It was suspected that the ex boyfriend was involved, but they were never able to find anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    His older brother was in my class. It pretty much messed them all up for life. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Gosch
    I am from Ames (30 miles north of DM) and Johnny was the first person I thought of when I saw this thread. I didn't know him so I didn't post, but it definitely freaked out everyone in my little town and I remember parents being hypervigilant for quite a while afterward. I can't imagine what it was like in DM.

A lot of these stories are so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Quite a few runners were washing up on our coast, some with feet still in them.
    They found the identity of some of them, others no. It was/is really weird.
    (Runners float)
    Maybe it's the wine I had with dinner, but WTF???
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm thinking runner=running shoes. It made me look twice too!
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Maybe it's the wine I had with dinner, but WTF???
    Runners is a regional term for sneakers. "Quite a few sneakers were washing up on our coast, some with feet still in them."

Gruesome.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ddashaq View Post
    I am from Ames (30 miles north of DM) and Johnny was the first person I thought of when I saw this thread. I didn't know him so I didn't post, but it definitely freaked out everyone in my little town and I remember parents being hypervigilant for quite a while afterward. I can't imagine what it was like in DM.

A lot of these stories are so sad.
    His brother's name is Joe. My memory is bad but I think Joe went to ISU when I did. When it happened Joe tried very hard to act like a normal kid but that was impossible. He is a good guy, I hope he found some peace. I know his mom never has. So sad.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    I'm thinking runner=running shoes. It made me look twice too!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Runners is a regional term for sneakers. "Quite a few sneakers were washing up on our coast, some with feet still in them."

Gruesome.
    Thank you. Wow.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!