The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wearing hoof boots in the stall?

My horse, who has to be barefoot behind, sometimes kicks at his neighbors in his stall. Yes, I've tried ankle chains and the like. The kicking is hard on his hooves but the moron keeps doing it. I'd like to find a product that he can wear in the stall (which is like 20 hours a day, unfortunately) to protect his back hooves. There is something called "Equine Slippers" that let the hoof breathe but also seem to last a week before they fall apart. Not a long-term solution. I suspect all the Easyboot and Cavallo-type things are not meant for long-term stall use; they seem too substantial and look like they would provide no ventilation for the hoof. Anyone know of anything in between? I've even thought about just pulling tube socks over the hooves. I could go through, like, 40 pairs of them before paying the equivalent of what some of these boots cost. But have not yet had the nerve to try that. I welcome your input!

Soft ride boots are designed to be worn 24/7 and in stalls. And they are wonderful for hooves. No rubbing. Just take them off once a day and dump out the shavings accumulated on the pads. The soft rides are worth the cost, if you every have a hoof injury.

But, if your horse has good hooves, and just kicks the stall sides, you could do what one BO did. Callie would kick the side of her stall when it was feeding time at the barn. She had an end stall, but would go to the side where Cloudy's stall was, and kick it even though her feeder was on the opposite side of the stall. The BO put up a stall mat on that wall where she kicked. She quit kicking. I guess she only liked the loud noisy wood kicking, not the quiet rubber kicking. Whatever, it worked.

3 members found this post helpful.

I have successfully used gold bond powder inside of the Easyboots to keep the hoof and boot dry (both while stalled and for regular turnout- had a horse who needed to keep one injured hoof booted 23 hours a day for several weeks, ugh...) but for this situation I personally would try hanging rubber mat(s) as cloudyandcallie posted above, first.

I did use a less substantial "slipper type" boot several years ago which may hold up for your needs, but did not hold up for turnout. I don't recall who made it, just that it had Velcro tabs to adjust it.

put a 2x4 on the stall wall top and bottom and fasten a rubber mat to it - so a gap in between the mat and wall to make a soft surface. No satisfying noise if that is the motivation and a yielding surface if he does persist so hopefully less damage to his hooves.

2 members found this post helpful.

I have known horses that have lived in soft ride boots - but they had medical issues that called for them. I am not sure I would want healthy hooves "padded" so much 24/7.

I agree with Sherian, mount stall mats on the walls. I think it would be a better solution, and healthier for his hooves.

It's not his hooves I'd worry about, but his hocks. The mats work well.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

The mat on the wall sounds like a good idea. Or maybe a change of scenery?

The Equine Slipper is nice for a lost shoe, but it is only a 1/4 inch thick leather pad and will not provide much protection. I'm not sure what a tube sock would do for him.

If you do try boots, look into the Easy Boot Trail. It's fairly inexpensive and easy to get on and off, and you can cut your own pads to put inside.

Soft Ride boots are great for laminitis but they're expensive and kind of thick and heavy. I wouldn't want to put them only on the hind feet.

My mare has been living in Soft Rides and Easy Boot Trails for over a month. They "breathe" just fine.